Weird world: US gun sales slump because not Hillary won

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Weird world: US gun sales slump because not Hillary won

Postby Absentia » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:00 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:What kind of case could they bring against the company? If a gun company was responsible for what people end up doing with its products, the prisons would be stuffed with their executives.

I don't know a lot about civil law or the details of this lawsuit, but they could be claiming that there was some kind of kind of negligence on Remington's part. Nobody would go to prison but they could be liable for damages.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:06 pm

We actually have a law specifically designed to prevent people from suing gun manufacturers and dealers based on how their weapons are used, unless they know that a specific person is probably buying one for a crime. Bernie Sanders supported this law and a lot of Clinton supporters were going "look, Bernie has no sympathy for victims of gun violence!" back during the primaries. I personally think it's a sensible policy but don't like that it only applies to guns.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:19 pm

I mean, the $11,129 he got from the NRA was also a likely incentive.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby cmsellers » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:12 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:I mean, the $11,129 he got from the NRA was also a likely incentive.

Leaving aside your questionable assessment of his motives (craven greed doesn't explain every incident of politicians doing something you personally dislke), you really need to learn to read the articles you link. The article mentions the NRA and other pro-gun groups. I was under the impression that the NRA wasn't a fan of Sanders for supporting sensible gun control measures, so I looked it up and determined that he received literally nothing from the NRA.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Absentia » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:32 am

And have a little respect for our politicians. Surely $11,000 is nowhere near enough to buy a piece of legislation.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:49 am

You'd be surprised.
I mean, they say they don't accept bribes, but whenever some rich buck passes by they're suddenly passing them some of the legislation. And then when they're old, chewed up, and worn down- I mean, excuse me, "experienced" those Congressmen decide that they've "seen the light" and have decided to "fight for the people" (Settled for the serfs). Clearly, since we can't trust what the congressmen consciously say, then the answer resides in their subconscious minds.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Previous