Greasing the light poles...

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Greasing the light poles...

Postby JamishT » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:25 am

DoglovingJim wrote:
Irishjava wrote:That's a good question, I've updated the original post. Sorry, I'm a bit hungover and clarity isn't my forte right now. Also: woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Since when were you white?

I always thought you looked like this.
Spoiler: show

You might want to check the "Pics Or You Didn't Happen" thread if you assume I also look like my avatar.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Australia » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:15 am

Mine is absolutely spot on.

Also, if I've learned nothing else from the Jump Street movies (and I've learnt a lot), if you try to prevent damage in the aftermath of a football game, some idiot is going to drive onto the field and ram into the goalpost, knocking it down to much rejoicing.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Marcuse » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:38 am

It's not like sports based riots are a new thing.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/reference/e ... and-greens

The Blues and Greens in the 6th - 9th century AD Constantinople were political/social/religious factions based on who supported what colour of Hippodrome team. They participated in the Nika riots against the Emperor and had to be violently suppressed. In that context, American riots aren't so crazy sounding. We have a long history as a species of taking our sports waaaay too seriously.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Alternet made a good point about how sports fans get a "free pass" to tear shit up. On the other hand, if a single window gets broken at a BLM protest/rally, it's all over the news with negativity and judgment that NEVER gets attached to this bullshit. In fact, one person right here even said outright that they're getting getting TIRED of hearing people "act like this is a new problem," which I can only interpret to mean complaining about it.

I think it's less a racial thing than a "political establishment" issue. Sports riots get a pass because they don't threaten the status quo. The BLM movement, the DAPL protest, and other such activism seeks to actually change things and take power out of the hands of people who abuse it. The powerful don't like that, which is why people who protested Trump's inauguration were looking at 50 years in prison while a handful of misdemeanors get issued for millions of dollars in property damage over a fucking game.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby RatElemental » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:30 pm

Yes, fellow sportsball fans, I cannot wait until the next big duel between my sportsball team and our longstanding rivals, so that I may engage in some light property destruction as catharsis if we lose, or in celebration if we win.

Seriously though, I can get why people are happy, there's psychological reasons. I don't get why they go rioting in the streets over it, and why we continue to do this despite the riots. Back in grade school if we did anything nearly this bad over sports the grown ups would cancel said sports.

You just started to
Read the Haiku that you have
Just finished reading
RatElemental
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:17 pm

Only because kids can't say "I was drunk" when asked why they acted like a maniac. We all accept Kevin Hart's behavior, especially now that he apologized for being drunk and telling kids they shouldn't drink.

Which is wrong. He should tell kids they shouldn't use drinking as an excuse for acting the way he did. Alcohol didn't grant him the sense of entitlement that made him believe he deserved to be celebrating with the-uh play-ers that-ah play-uh'd thee game.

It's not all on alcohol though. Justifying "let's loot this fucking store" or "let's destroy something" with "local sports team won the big game" is a thing. You'd think the presence of cameras everywhere would deter this behavior.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby sunglasses » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 am

Damn it, Marc that's what I said.

Stop copies me.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Previous