The police are human, and the majority are good people too.

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby Kate » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:26 am

Lindvaettr wrote:
Kate wrote:Come on, Officer Nebraska :( you should just be impressed a prius can go 79 mph!


Were you going down the one hill in Nebraska?

It was flat as a pancake. I'll have you know, sir, I have gotten Polly up to 92 mph when I really gunned it in power mode! 92!
  • 9

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
User avatar
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate
 
Posts: 2926
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Assembling Future Kate
Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:29 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:
Tesseracts wrote:I didn't have any misgivings about your motives when I read the first post in this thread. I think it's nice to hear stories of the police having good judgement. However in later posts you certainly made it sound this thread was a passive aggressive reaction to the swatting thread or something. The fact that you characterized my post as "raging" pretty much says it all here.


Where did I even say that your post was simply raging? Don't put words into my mouth. I just don't see why you feel the need to mention straw-men and that whole defending cops for "behavior like murdering people" when it has nothing to do with me and this thread. The fact you'd even say that, it's like a link by association and I don't like it at all.

And as for me passively aggressively reacting to something:
Not long after I wrote this thread you certainly give what I'd consider to be a sarcastic remark about how the police are "heroes" if they let you off with a warning for driving illegally. And then cmsellers quickly delves into negatives and focuses on discussing the "issues" about law enforcement and says that I'm missing the point (missing the point of my own thread?), and then he assumes that I wrote this is regards to some thread about police being bad. After I finally clear the air and reiterate that I just want to write about the good deeds of the police and it has nothing to do with what I presumed to be that old thread about swatting (not a thread about "police being bad" but that's the only link I could think of) what happens? You straight away start accusing me of writing this thread in response to it?

Now I try to be a polite person, I don't like being hostile or aggressive but seriously. If you think my reaction confirms your point then you are crazy, and it clearly shows that you are pushing some sort of agenda but with the guise of how "ohhhh, it's nice to hear stories about police officers" to cover up for it. Accusing me of things and then saying that my defensiveness confirms it is a load of crap, and I apologise for my language.

This isn't the battlefield you are seeking Tess, I'd suggest you write your own thread if you specifically want a debate or something because the intent of this thread is simply to share positive stories regarding the police.

Wow, overreaction much? I wrote that post because it was funny and because it gave me an opportunity to vent about a stressful recent event in my life. I also upvoted your original post before I wrote anything. I think the real problem here is that you personally dislike me (and Sellers). Probably because I don't agree with you, and the idea of Americans disagreeing with a bunch of non-Americans about what their own nation is like is apparently too much for you to handle. I'm absolutely not lying when I say I liked your original post and I seriously considered posting my own positive stories, but you have made it clear I'm not welcome in your club so I'll stick to threads that support my so-called "agenda." :roll:
  • 8

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9575
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby DoglovingJim » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:18 am

Tesseracts wrote:
DoglovingJim wrote:
Tesseracts wrote:I didn't have any misgivings about your motives when I read the first post in this thread. I think it's nice to hear stories of the police having good judgement. However in later posts you certainly made it sound this thread was a passive aggressive reaction to the swatting thread or something. The fact that you characterized my post as "raging" pretty much says it all here.


Where did I even say that your post was simply raging? Don't put words into my mouth. I just don't see why you feel the need to mention straw-men and that whole defending cops for "behavior like murdering people" when it has nothing to do with me and this thread. The fact you'd even say that, it's like a link by association and I don't like it at all.

And as for me passively aggressively reacting to something:
Not long after I wrote this thread you certainly give what I'd consider to be a sarcastic remark about how the police are "heroes" if they let you off with a warning for driving illegally. And then cmsellers quickly delves into negatives and focuses on discussing the "issues" about law enforcement and says that I'm missing the point (missing the point of my own thread?), and then he assumes that I wrote this is regards to some thread about police being bad. After I finally clear the air and reiterate that I just want to write about the good deeds of the police and it has nothing to do with what I presumed to be that old thread about swatting (not a thread about "police being bad" but that's the only link I could think of) what happens? You straight away start accusing me of writing this thread in response to it?

Now I try to be a polite person, I don't like being hostile or aggressive but seriously. If you think my reaction confirms your point then you are crazy, and it clearly shows that you are pushing some sort of agenda but with the guise of how "ohhhh, it's nice to hear stories about police officers" to cover up for it. Accusing me of things and then saying that my defensiveness confirms it is a load of crap, and I apologise for my language.

This isn't the battlefield you are seeking Tess, I'd suggest you write your own thread if you specifically want a debate or something because the intent of this thread is simply to share positive stories regarding the police.

Wow, overreaction much? I wrote that post because it was funny and because it gave me an opportunity to vent about a stressful recent event in my life. I also upvoted your original post before I wrote anything. I think the real problem here is that you personally dislike me (and Sellers). Probably because I don't agree with you, and the idea of Americans disagreeing with a bunch of non-Americans about what their own nation is like is apparently too much for you to handle. I'm absolutely not lying when I say I liked your original post and I seriously considered posting my own positive stories, but you have made it clear I'm not welcome in your club so I'll stick to threads that support my so-called "agenda." :roll:


I don't like you and cmsellers? You know what, I'm too tired to even care or tell you that you are wrong. Being annoyed at someone who for a thread about positive stories involving police instead goes into their many issues is not the same as hating them (don't know how many times I have to say that I don't hate cmsellers). Everybody is welcome here, of course I'll get annoyed at accusations made towards me regardless it's not like someone wouldn't be allowed to comment. Don't make yourself out to be some sort of victim, there are no victims here.

You don't agree with me on what? You don't agree that there are any positive stories involving the police? Since that's all this thread is about. I don't get it, but it makes it clear that you are pushing some sort of agenda if you are going to get so hasty about it. You talk about Americans disagreeing, disagreeing about what? What the hell did I say here that is so disagreeable? Perhaps you can't handle me having a more favorable view of the police in general (from several comments in other threads about giving them the benefit of the doubt until more evidence comes instead of bringing out the fire and pitchforks at the first possible sign of misconduct) and felt the need to unload your frustration of those comments here.

We are all adults Tess, if you don't want to share any positive stories involving the police (God knows how much we need them) because that conflicts with some belief of yours that they are bad or undeserving or praise or whatever the heck caused all this then you have every right to stick to threads that support your views. It is certainly a shame though because if you did have some positive stories then it would have been good. I wouldn't want your personal views on me to cause you to feel unwelcome and oppose this thread, I meant every word I said in that first post you liked, that's all the thread is about. Don't think about me, just think about the topic.


EDIT:
I apologise if it seems like I've been overreacting, these past weeks in general has been real crap for me mentally and I hope I didn't take it out on you too much. I didn't mean to be so snappy. I just wanted a thread, one thread where everybody could post whatever positive stories they had, and I just couldn't deal with someone deciding to do the opposite and saying I missed the point of my own thread.

I'm sorry Tess about my comment on your first post, perhaps it was just a joke but it rubbed me the wrong way with how you posted after. If you got any positive stories please feel free to share them here. And if you would like to discuss or debate our personal views feel free to make a thread or pm me about it.
  • 7

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:26 am

Kate, the fault lies not with Officer Nebraska but with Governor and Legislator Nebraska for having a low speed limit. 79 mph is ticketable?

I'll tell my cop wasn't a bastard story, I've probably done it elsewhere here but here goes.

While driving in Michigan on the interstate my front left tire had a huge hole open in the sidewall. Why yes, the same tires that were in the news for being equipped during many Ford Explorer rollovers but I was driving a Jeep Cherokee, anyway back to the story: This left me, my future wife, and my best friend stranded right in front the of the plant where they built Ford Mustangs. I know that because there was a giant banner on the building informing traffic of that fact. A State Police Officer pulled up behind us after we were sitting for about 20 minutes in what turned from clear skies into a steady but light rain.

He spoke to us, asked me for my license but didn't ask anyone else for I.D. which I thought was weird. He went back to his car and a few minutes later said he had radioed for one of these roadside repair trucks that they have up there. Fast forward 20 minutes and he comes back up to my vehicle upset that no truck has arrived despite us seeing a few drive past going the other way on the highway. My friend and I get out and try to jack up the Jeep but the rain is causing the ground on the shoulder to sink and our effort was getting us nowhere. The cop goes and gets his broader, more powerful jack, jacks my Jeep up, and changes the tire.

I remarked that this sort of thing would never happen in Ohio. He replied, "I'm State Police, we protect and serve. You guys have State Patrol, they're looking to arrest people. That's the difference".

We were all of legal age but I had a cooler full of ice, beer, and liquor in the back. It was visible. He never even asked about it but had to have seen it. There was open liquor in the cooler but none of us had been drinking that day. He was right imo. In Ohio they'd have probably searched everything, ran all of our names, and thought it was suspicious for a black guy to be travelling across state lines with a white couple. But that's my story. I have to go now.
  • 8

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
User avatar
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper
 
Posts: 6168
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Route 11 by Scoopalicious
Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby Kate » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:34 am

Jim, I don't think Tess would upvote your first post if she thought there are no good stories about cops or it conflicted with her views; can you understand why ascribing that viewpoint to her when she doesn't hold it or saying she has an agenda that is contrary to this thread would strike a sour note and make her feel like you don't like her? Your experiences are that people by and large denigrate the police, but that is not everyone's experience and if you are constantly surrounded by hero worship, I don't think it's pushing an agenda to point that out when the premise of the thread seems to be that this is necessary to counteract the negative in general.

I think perhaps you are both taking things a little bit personally.
  • 9

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
User avatar
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate
 
Posts: 2926
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Assembling Future Kate
Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:17 am

The main disagreement I had is over the attitude Americans in general have about the police. As I said earlier I don't think most people believe the police are inhuman or bad people. I'm sorry I made it into a big thing.
  • 7

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9575
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:22 am

Keep in mind, not all cops are human!

Image

Image
  • 10

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
User avatar
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 5978
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 am
Location: Yippee-ki-yay, motherfuckers!
Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby DoglovingJim » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:01 am

DamianaRaven wrote:Keep in mind, not all cops are human!

Spoiler: show
Image


Spoiler: show
Image

I am shocked that I would discriminate against my lovely fluffy ones and not mention them (well I did but I never paid much attention that they too are cops).

Perhaps not a positive story about something that the police did but I did read about how the community repays its four legged officers.

http://www.timescall.com/carbon-valley-news/ci_31224881/frederick-police-dog-gets-protective-vest-through-fundraiser
Frederick Police Department's K9 Buran soon will be outfitted with a bullet- and stab-protective vest following a charitable donation from nonprofit organization Vested Interest in K9s Inc., according to a news release.

K9 Buran's vest was made possible through a fundraiser by April Mendez of GotYour6 Couture LLC of Fountain. The vest will be embroidered with the words, "Gifted by the Mendez Family, in memory of Bobby."

"Part of the job of a police K9 is to be sent into dangerous situations first in order to keep their human partner safe. Buran goes above and beyond this during his role as a SWAT Team K9," said Officer Andy Fairbanks, Buran's partner. "This vest will be potentially lifesaving for Buran, and we greatly appreciate Vested Interest in K9s' generosity."

Vested Interest in K9s Inc. is a 501c(3) charity established in 2009 in Massachusetts. It has provided more than 2,600 protective vests in 50 states, through more than $2.1 million in private and corporate donations, according to the news release.

The donation to provide one protective vest for a law enforcement K9 is $950. For more information or to learn about volunteer opportunities, call 508-824-6978.

Spoiler: show
Image
  • 8

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby Lindvaettr » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:02 am

DamianaRaven wrote:Keep in mind, not all cops are human!
Spoiler: show
Image


Some people punch police horses. I think we can all agree those people are among the most heinous of criminals.
  • 6

User avatar
Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:19 am
Location: Various, depending on time and day
Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:20 am

Lindvaettr wrote:Some people punch police horses.


The deuce you say! I'm calling "urban legend" on this claim because NOBODY could actually be that stupid. Horses are fucking HUGE and can break every bone in your thorax as easily as you'd rip a piece of paper. I'm sure police horses are as rigidly trained as police dogs, which means that while they may seem chill in the face of chaos, they're taught (and probably encouraged) to stomp a mudhole in your stupid ass if you attack one.

I'll be semi-mollified with just ONE verifiable story, but is this actually any kind of "dipshit challenge" trend?
  • 2

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
User avatar
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 5978
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 am
Location: Yippee-ki-yay, motherfuckers!
Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby Lindvaettr » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:25 am

DamianaRaven wrote:I'll be semi-mollified with just ONE verifiable story[


Here's a recent one. I'm sure I can find more. It happens with some regularity.

DamianaRaven wrote:is this actually any kind of "dipshit challenge" trend?


Nope, just a bunch of idiots who think punching a police horse could have anything other than multiple simultaneous bad outcomes. I'll also say that horse heads and legs are, despite their strength, ludicrously fragile. Much like with humans, I'm willing to bet that a punch in just the wrong place could do very serious damage to a horse, which makes it even worse when people punch them.

DamianaRaven wrote: I'm sure police horses are as rigidly trained as police dogs, which means that while they may seem chill in the face of chaos, they're taught (and probably encouraged) to stomp a mudhole in your stupid ass if you attack one


To my (admittedly extremely minuscule) knowledge, police horses aren't trained at all to attack. In fact, given that their use is predominantly in very crowded areas, I would imagine they're very heavily trained to be docile. Imagine if some moron punched a horse in the head, and the horse responded by kicking in the skull of the poor guy standing behind the horse.
  • 5

User avatar
Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:19 am
Location: Various, depending on time and day
Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:39 am

DamianaRaven wrote:
Lindvaettr wrote:Some people punch police horses.


The deuce you say! I'm calling "urban legend" on this claim because NOBODY could actually be that stupid. Horses are fucking HUGE and can break every bone in your thorax as easily as you'd rip a piece of paper. I'm sure police horses are as rigidly trained as police dogs, which means that while they may seem chill in the face of chaos, they're taught (and probably encouraged) to stomp a mudhole in your stupid ass if you attack one.

I'll be semi-mollified with just ONE verifiable story, but is this actually any kind of "dipshit challenge" trend?


https://nypost.com/2017/08/22/man-arres ... -the-face/
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-phila ... epeatedly/
https://www.tmz.com/2018/01/22/philadel ... ice-horse/

Thing is, I'm not convinced a horse would view a punch as a real threat precisely because they're so huge and strong. If you hit it in the eye, sure, but a lot of these stories have the perp hitting the horse around the neck and shoulder area. I can easily imagine the horse not considering some flailing drunk guy giving it a bunch of adorable little love taps to be a real threat.
  • 6

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
User avatar
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3017
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:18 am
Show rep

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:57 am

Lindvaettr wrote:To my (admittedly extremely minuscule) knowledge, police horses aren't trained at all to attack. In fact, given that their use is predominantly in very crowded areas, I would imagine they're very heavily trained to be docile. Imagine if some moron punched a horse in the head, and the horse responded by kicking in the skull of the poor guy standing behind the horse.


I am likewise unfamiliar with police horses. My (surprisingly considerable) equestrian experience is with country hosses who are more than happy to play The Punching Game with those kinds of odds. Growing up, it was always just DRILLED into us "neeeeever fuck with a horse." We weren't even allowed to feed the neighbor's (very gentle) horses through the fence without an adult present, on account of that fence being little more than a polite request to an animal with the jumping power of a horse. As I got older and more experienced with riding and equine etiquette, I was trusted to take them on walks but even then, I had to be peripherally supervised by an adult who knew where I was. But just to be sure that horse didn't lose its mind and kill off his firstborn - among other perfectly legitimate rural concerns - my father insisted I never go riding without a small pistol on my leg. I never had to use it, which is just as well, because I've never liked guns and would only hunt (small game) with a slingshot or bow. I got pitched on my ass one time, but the horse and I agreed that was both our faults.
  • 4

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
User avatar
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 5978
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 am
Location: Yippee-ki-yay, motherfuckers!
Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:34 pm

I'm pretty sure in the bizarre and inexplicable thread I mentioned and linked stories about the two consecutive weeks that a police horse was punched outside of Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Stadium. But at least alcohol is legal and you can buy it anywhere.
  • 3

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
User avatar
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper
 
Posts: 6168
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Route 11 by Scoopalicious
Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:08 am

Image
  • 5

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests