The police are human, and the majority are good people too.

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby random_nerd » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:55 am

Windy wrote:
Crimson847 wrote:Of course, this isn't unique to cops in any sense, it's simply a reflection of the fact that police officers are people and people are generally decent.


you are wrong people are generally despicable, people are responsible for slavery, world war 2, the holocaust, 9/11, and the trump presidency

Humans are also responsible for the existence of kittens, ice cream, the hubble telescope, video games and list based comedy websites.

Overall I think it's a wash, but I'm rooting for team cool shit to win over team atrocities.
  • 6

You just started to
Read the Haiku that you have
Just finished reading
User avatar
random_nerd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:28 pm
Show rep
Title: Randy Nerd apparently

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:05 am

cmsellers wrote:Given that Jim's thread was apparently in reaction to another thread about bad things police do

Wait, which thread was about bad things police do that I was supposed to have reacted to? Unless you are talking about the cultural shift in general that "police are pigs" are not only said by criminals anymore but even little kids who never even met one.

I decided to make this thread in order to counter all the negativity (on the news in general) made towards law enforcement by showing some of the good things, so that we do not simply think about the bad.

As I wrote in the beginning my intention was simply to highlight some of the good things about the police, instead of just creating some sort of bubble and focusing always on cases of bad things. When many people have solely the media to gain a perception of something and the media relies on what is most profitable, it can lead to distorted perceptions. Henceforth I believe that it is most beneficial for both sides to be made evident, particularly for the youth.

I am not saying that cops should be of free of criticism, as I said in my first post too (or did you just ignore everything I wrote in my first post because I once protected law enforcement in some old thread about a swat team mistakenly shooting someone due to a hoax call?) there is nothing worse than a bad cop. But that doesn't mean that one should drag the police force as a whole through the mud and ignore all the good that individual officers do on a daily basis, they are humans too. They are not a hive-mind of oppressive robots tasked with creating a living hell for the general population. My intention isn't to censor the bad crap particular police officers do, I'm pretty sure that gets covered enough and when misconduct is proven beyond reasonable doubt I'm glad for them to face the full extent of the law they once swore to uphold.

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to show some of the good deeds that police do on a daily basis either, we don't get enough of it.


Was reading this a bit before: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/cops-pay-restaurant-bill-man-refused-sit-next/
A group of big-hearted cops made the perfect tactical response when a couple refused to sit near them at a diner in Homestead, Pennsylvania. They paid the couple’s bill and threw in a hefty tip, too, WTAE reports.

“Essentially the whole goal of it was to let him know that we’re not here to hurt you,” officer Chuck Thomas said. “We’re here for you. We work for the public. And we just want to better the relationship between the community and the police.”

Tensions have run high nationally after high-profile police shootings of black men this month and a sniper attack on officers in Dallas, Texas.

One of the diners had eyed the cops gathered in a booth and told the server at Eat N’ Park he didn’t want to sit near them on Friday, the station notes.

Thomas tried to reassure the man that he wouldn’t be hurt but to no avail.

That’s when he decided to cover the $28.58 tab and write a note.

“Sir, your check was paid for by the police officers you didn’t want to sit next to. Thank you for your support,” he said in the note, which he shared on Facebook. It’s since gone viral.

It all ended amicably. One of the couple thanked the men in blue and gave them a smile, according to reports.
  • 7

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:00 pm

Jim I have never heard a child say police are pigs. What I have seen is, someone criticizes the police for behavior like murdering people, and then someone else counters with "the police are not bad people." This is a strawman because nobody said the police are bad people. I can't recall a single person on this website claiming the police are bad people. I know a lot of extreme liberals, SJWs, BLM types. None of them believe the police are bad people. I literally can't think of anybody who thinks this. Instead, they are angry at the police because they are afraid of them and/or look down on the bad decisions they have made.

I think it's legitimate to make a thread about the positive behavior of the police. We don't have enough positive news, and stories of progress can inspire us to move forward. However if this thread is in response to other threads about acts you have deemed a mere "mistake" I'm afraid I strongly disagree with your sentiments. The intent of those threads is NOT to say the cops are bad human beings. I would say judging the cops as individual human beings is completely irrelevant. That would be like judging a soldier for a war. The police are a system, they are not mere individuals.
  • 7

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9595
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby Lindvaettr » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:44 pm

Tesseracts wrote:I would say judging the cops as individual human beings is completely irrelevant. That would be like judging a soldier for a war. The police are a system, they are not mere individuals.


I think the trouble, Tess, is that the arguments you're thinking of are the ones that are fairly prominent, but not universal, on this site. The police individually can be good, upstanding, even heroic people, but the system itself is corrupted. I mostly agree with this belief, but I don't think it's what Jim is referring to.

There is absolutely a subset of users on this site that, while they would certainly agree that the police system is broken and may not believe that all police are bad, definitely are very emphatic in their belief that, when a negative incident involving the police occurs, the first assumption to make is that the act was intentional and malicious. Often, users who express the opinion that it would be wise to await more facts are accused, explicitly or implicitly, of denying any wrongdoing, or of believing the incident was right and justified.

Again, while I am not saying that this site, on the whole, has an anti-police bias, there are definitely a few users, who are very active and very vocal in CAASS, who generally appear to have not only a negative view of the police as a whole, but also a negative view of police on an individual level. These users are absolutely free to hold and express their opinions, but given their prominence on this particular subforum, I think Jim's point is solid that it's good for us to have a pro-police thread, occasionally, especially to allow users with a more positive view of police a place to share their opinion, without having to express it specifically against the intended direction of negative police discussions.
  • 16

Last edited by Lindvaettr on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:19 am
Location: Various, depending on time and day
Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby D-LOGAN » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:35 pm

cmsellers wrote:I believe that the majority of police mean well, but as you note, the police are human. Yet in the US, we treat them as if they are superhuman. There is little oversight and the majority of Americans react incredibly negatively to any criticism or calls for accountability


Well I'm not an American and I've never even been to America (in fact truth be told I'm not entirely convinced it's even a real place and not just some elaborate hoax), but as someone observing a lot of American culture, that's not the impression I get. I mainly get a very negative view of how the police are thought of over there. Generally with them being assumed for the most part to be a bunch of violent, biggoted, corrupt, incompotant, criminals.

Like that could just be what I'm gathering from what I've been exposed to, and that may not be the real picture. But I definitely get a more negative than positive or even indifferent vibe to how the sentiment towards them is in general.

Tesseracts wrote:I can't recall a single person on this website claiming the police are bad people.

I have. Or at least I have seen people make statements than boil down essentially to that.

Just sayin'.
  • 4

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
User avatar
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3590
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Éire
Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:36 pm

Logan, I bet my life on the following statement. Your impression is incorrect. American culture is highly patriotic and reveres authority figures such as the police. Before BLM it was forbidden to say you don’t like the police. Even now you can pretty much only criticize the police for being racist, people don’t want to hear anything about the deeper issues. The police are almost always believed over citizens and corruption is often overlooked. The American police kill people with alarming frequency and any attempt to protest this, no matter how benign, is looked down upon. The police have gotten more militarized over the years because there is popular support for these policies.

I’m afraid this thread is getting off topic. I might open a thread in one of our meta forums on this subject because I’m curious what posts exactly have accused the police of being bad people. However pointing out specific posts carries the risk of attacking specific users, which I would like to try very hard to avoid.
  • 4

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9595
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby D-LOGAN » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:57 pm

Tesseracts wrote:Logan, I bet my life on the following statement. Your impression is incorrect. American culture is highly patriotic and reveres authority figures such as the police.


As I say, I can only judge from the pop-culture and media I've been exposed to from observing Americana from afar, but when it comes to the police, THAT IS NOT, the impression I get. I get that they are racist, they are gun happy, they are inept, they are corrupt, they are to be feared ... and there a few good ones.

Again, that's just the impression I get. It may not be like that in actual flesh and blood real life over there. But that's something I can't experience, cause I've never been there. But I can honesty say that's the view that is imported over here at least, and is the general feel us lot now have about how both your cops are and how your people think of them.

Of course that could just be how things go, negative stuff is more noticeable and travels farther than positive, so indeed it could be skewed. But here's the thing, I do get a very positive vibe about your countries feelings towards it's soldiers. So I'm left wondering why that's not the same? See what I mean?

Before BLM it was forbidden to say you don’t like the police.

Well as I say I've been consuming American media since I was a kid, and I was seeing riling against the police in America loooooooooooong before BLM came along.
Even now you can pretty much only criticize the police for being racist, people don’t want to hear anything about the deeper issues.

I've seen uproar against police for stuff that wasn't race related though.
The police are almost always believed over citizens and corruption is often overlooked.

And yet I've seen protests and riots or supposed incidents of brutaity, that turned out not to be true. People essentially assuming the police were in the wrong from the get-go and going from there. And I see more and more of that.
The American police kill people with alarming frequency and any attempt to protest this, no matter how benign, is looked down upon.

Isn't that just a matter of persepctive though?
Couldn't someone just as honestly say-
"any attempt to defend the cop's actions on this, is looked down upon."
I've definitely seen people being riddiculed or called apologists or worse for expressing differing viewpoints on ambiguous cases in these matters.
The police have gotten more militarized over the years because there is popular support for these policies.

Well yeah, I mean I don't wanna speak out of turn or have a go at your police force ... but I do think the militaization of your cops is a bad thing. I WATCHED THE WIRE!

I'm just telling you right now, the majority of what I see coming from your country about your police force is negative. I mean in fiction there's noble cops portrayed and whatnot, it's not like I think you're a nation of cop-haters or anyhthing. And it aint like the cops over here don't get that a lot. As I say, I'm just sayin' that I'm just sayin'.
I’m afraid this thread is getting off topic. I might open a thread in one of our meta forums on this subject because I’m curious what posts exactly have accused the police of being bad people. However pointing out specific posts carries the risk of attacking specific users, which I would like to try very hard to avoid.

Yeah, lets leave that where it is. No good ever comes from that.
  • 4

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
User avatar
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3590
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Éire
Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:52 pm

I believe the onion summed it up nicely.

Make the bushel unappealing to the bad apples would do well to keep them
  • 1

"Schmibby Dibby Kabibby"- Alex Hirsch

"When in doubt, meow it out!"- Bex Taylor-Klaus
User avatar
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 12163
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Show rep
Title: Queen of the Cerignola Olives

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:35 am

Was reading this just a bit before: http://abcnews.go.com/US/michigan-cop-buys-car-seat-girl-pulling-father/story?id=38576434
A Michigan father wants people to know "there are still real-life superheroes in this world" after a police officer's random act of kindness recently brought him to tears.

LaVonte Dell told ABC News today he was driving in Westland, Michigan, this past Monday afternoon when he "suddenly saw the red and blue lights" behind car. The 28-year-old dad said his "heart dropped to his stomach" and that he was "so sure" he was going to get a costly ticket because of his vehicle's tinted windows.

But what happened next "completely surprised me," Dell said.

"The officer told me why he pulled me over, which I had predicted, and then he also noticed my 3-year-old in the back wasn't in a car seat," Dell said. "He asked me to step out of my vehicle to talk to him, and I was just so scared thinking this couldn't be good."

But rather than issuing him a ticket, Dell said the cop -- whom he later learned was Officer Joshua Scaglione with the City of Westland Police Department -- took the time to listen to his story and then made "a generous offer."

"The dad teared up a little and explained how he didn't have the money to afford a car seat right now and that he had been running into some tough times," Scaglione told ABC News today. "So I said, 'Hey, could you follow me to Walmart?' and he was a little shocked and asked me, 'For what?' I told him I'd be more than happy to buy the car seat for him."

Dell said "he still couldn't believe it" when the two of them were shopping around in Walmart and getting to know each other better.

"He purchased one for me, and it was pink, which is my daughter's favorite color," Dell said. "It has butterflies and she loves it."

Though Dell didn't catch Scaglione's name or number before parting ways, he was reunited with the officer on Wednesday after his Facebook post about the incident went viral in the area.

Dell said he hopes that people who hear his story "learn to never judge a book by its cover" and "realize there are still good people out there going above and beyond to protect you and make sure you're still alright."

Scaglione said he was just doing his job and asks anyone uplifted by the story "to just pay it forward."

"You know, a ticket doesn't help all the time," the officer said. "I've been in a tough situation like this guy before. I figured it'd be better to help him out and just raise more awareness about car safety rather than give him a ticket that would dig him deeper in a hole and make things worse for him.

Spoiler: show
Image

And this certainly wasn't the first time I heard a story like that, cops seem to buy a lot of booster seats.

Tesseracts wrote:Jim I have never heard a child say police are pigs. What I have seen is, someone criticizes the police for behavior like murdering people, and then someone else counters with "the police are not bad people."

Well just because you haven't doesn't mean that they don't, because it's amazing the conversations I've heard in the train.

Tesseracts wrote: However if this thread is in response to other threads about acts you have deemed a mere "mistake" I'm afraid I strongly disagree with your sentiments.

I feel you should read my first post again too. And regardless I'm actually kind of annoyed that you'd say that because I feel like it's an attempt to make this thread less credible, I provide a space to share and trade good stories about the police and then you question my motivations and rage about straw-men. If I wrote it in response to that damn swatting thing I would have made it a lot earlier, and I would have mentioned it specifically, and regardless it's a non-point.

Recently a cop was stabbed by an accused sex offender after trying to arrest him, it was all over the news in Australia. But anyway, I don't see why I should have to go on the defensive about perceived motives for a thread that is about positive stories involving the police. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to show the good deeds of the police that vow to protect and serve their communities everyday, and motives or whatsnot shouldn't have even been a thing.


There is almost certainly a vocal crowd in this forum that has an anti-police bias, but this shouldn't be its battlefield Tess.
  • 6

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:02 am

I didn't have any misgivings about your motives when I read the first post in this thread. I think it's nice to hear stories of the police having good judgement. However in later posts you certainly made it sound this thread was a passive aggressive reaction to the swatting thread or something. The fact that you characterized my post as "raging" pretty much says it all here.
  • 6

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9595
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:15 am

Tesseracts wrote:I didn't have any misgivings about your motives when I read the first post in this thread. I think it's nice to hear stories of the police having good judgement. However in later posts you certainly made it sound this thread was a passive aggressive reaction to the swatting thread or something. The fact that you characterized my post as "raging" pretty much says it all here.


Where did I even say that your post was simply raging? Don't put words into my mouth. I just don't see why you feel the need to mention straw-men and that whole defending cops for "behavior like murdering people" when it has nothing to do with me and this thread. The fact you'd even say that, it's like a link by association and I don't like it at all.

And as for me passively aggressively reacting to something:
Not long after I wrote this thread you certainly give what I'd consider to be a sarcastic remark about how the police are "heroes" if they let you off with a warning for driving illegally. And then cmsellers quickly delves into negatives and focuses on discussing the "issues" about law enforcement and says that I'm missing the point (missing the point of my own thread?), and then he assumes that I wrote this is regards to some thread about police being bad. After I finally clear the air and reiterate that I just want to write about the good deeds of the police and it has nothing to do with what I presumed to be that old thread about swatting (not a thread about "police being bad" but that's the only link I could think of) what happens? You straight away start accusing me of writing this thread in response to it?

Now I try to be a polite person, I don't like being hostile or aggressive but seriously. If you think my reaction confirms your point then you are crazy, and it clearly shows that you are pushing some sort of agenda but with the guise of how "ohhhh, it's nice to hear stories about police officers" to cover up for it. Accusing me of things and then saying that my defensiveness confirms it is a load of crap, and I apologise for my language.

This isn't the battlefield you are seeking Tess, I'd suggest you write your own thread if you specifically want a debate or something because the intent of this thread is simply to share positive stories regarding the police.



Image
More details here.
  • 3

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby SandTea » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:17 am

I've always liked this one about the cop who gave a dude some shoes. There are also tons of youtube videos that'll bring a tear to my eye. Just search "cop kindness". There are a lot.

They don't... I'll just not. If anyone wants, go ahead and PM for elaboration about fear of the police.
  • 6

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
User avatar
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:01 pm
Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:43 am

SandTea wrote:I've always liked this one about the cop who gave a dude some shoes. There are also tons of youtube videos that'll bring a tear to my eye. Just search "cop kindness". There are a lot.

They don't... I'll just not. If anyone wants, go ahead and PM for elaboration about fear of the police.

And they don't even know the name of the officer, he just went back to his car and drove off, just another day working the job for him. What makes me happier though is that while the shoes sadly didn't even fit the homeless man instead of throwing it away or trying to sell it he decided to give it to another homeless man, to share that sense of community and helping others in need.

Saw this on imgur and figured this is a good place for it.
Image
  • 1

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby Kate » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:19 am

If you want to get a regular influx of these kinds of stories in your facebook feed, check out these guys: http://heroesinblue.net/about

I went to school with the woman who founded this. Tragically, her husband was shot and killed on duty. In the aftermath, she started this organization. Their purpose is community outreach through empathy and also support for families of fallen officers, and they post a lot of feel good stories about police officers helping out their communities.

A bit off topic,
Spoiler: show
Shockingly, this is the only consistent feed I get on facebook about the police. I know I'm often critical of the system and of bad individuals, but I really do support law enforcement. And contrary to what reddit and the rest of the internet and media seem to portray, I would wager most Americans do as well. It'd be difficult for roughly 9,816 of our primetime television shows to be police procedurals if we were generally an anti-cop country.

We just hate getting pulled over for going 5 miles over the speed limit. Come on, Officer Nebraska :( you should just be impressed a prius can go 79 mph!
  • 15

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
User avatar
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Assembling Future Kate
Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Re: The police are human, and the majority are good people t

Postby Lindvaettr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:21 am

Kate wrote:Come on, Officer Nebraska :( you should just be impressed a prius can go 79 mph![/spoiler]


Were you going down the one hill in Nebraska?
  • 5

User avatar
Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:19 am
Location: Various, depending on time and day
Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests