Permanent Green Card Holding Doctor Arrested By ICE

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Permanent Green Card Holding Doctor Arrested By ICE

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:34 pm

A Kzoo doctor has been detained by ICE this weekend. He is a permanent green card holder. He's been here almost 40 years. What nefarious deed did he commit for them to detain him?

Two misdemeanors when he was 17.

The only spot on Niec’s record is two misdemeanor convictions when he was 17, one for destruction of property less than $100 and receiving and concealing stolen goods.

He pleaded to these charges more than 25 years ago under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act that allows young first offenders to avoid a criminal record if they never offend again.

But ICE — a federal agency — does not honor that state plea agreement, something Niec did not know when he took the plea, according to family.

It's been more then 25 years and now they decide-hold the fuck up-we need to deport this lawbreaker? What the everloving fuck. I thought it was only felonies that made you lose your status as a permanent resident. I guess not.

It may be up to 6 months before he even has a hearing.

Marc Asch, an immigration attorney in Kalamazoo said in the last year, ICE has broadened its scope meaning that cases the agency would not have gone after previously are now fair game.

“These days there’s less discretion being exercised in who they go after, they’re being more aggressive, generally speaking,” Asch said.

Asch said the government may not even have a solid case and it could likely end with Niec being able to stay in America — but that could be a process that takes months or even years.

It is also possible that ICE is targeting affluent immigrants of European descent to avoid the appearance of racial profiling.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Re: Permanent Green Card Holding Doctor Arrested By ICE

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:39 pm

Is this the best use of federal tax dollars? Shouldn't we be trying to do something constructive?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Cobra-D » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:41 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Is this the best use of federal tax dollars? Shouldn't we be trying to do something constructive?

Well looks like SOMEONE doesn't want to make America great again.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:23 pm

I'm so at a loss for words that I can't even make a Polack joke.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby SandTea » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:50 am

sunglasses wrote:A Kzoo doctor

Firstly, this is not a shorthand I am familiar with so I had quite the humorous picture in my mind.

It is also possible that ICE is targeting affluent immigrants of European descent to avoid the appearance of racial profiling.

Secondly, I really didn't want to ever do this but...
Spoiler: show

Finally, yeah, this sucks. I mean the dude doesn't even fit what people who are against immigrant think about immigrants. He is, like most but that's a different discussion, contributing in a very real and effective way. I like having doctors. They make me feel better.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:14 am

So one thing I'm wondering about is why this guy was here forty years from age six but never became a citizen. Green card holders have all the obligations of US citizens including being subject to conscription and to income tax for ten years after giving up their green cards, while lacking a lot of the same rights, as this case is demonstrating to him.

The only reason I can think of is that he would have been required to renounce his Polish citizenship if he'd been an adult. That law doesn't apply to kids if their parents are naturalized, but maybe his parents didn't want to give up theirs. And it's not actually enforced against people naturalized against adults, but as this just shows enforcement can change on a whim.

Still I think if I grew up in a country and planned on living out my life there I'd become naturalized even if it meant giving up my US citizenship, and the US is a serious dick to people who renounce their citizenship in the way that most countries are not. So I'm guessing he probably had some other reason for not getting naturalized but I can't guess at what it is.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Lindvaettr » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:04 am

cmsellers wrote:So I'm guessing he probably had some other reason for not getting naturalized but I can't guess at what it is.

I've noticed that this kind of information is missing in most immigration news stories, dating back even years before Trump's presidency. It's possible that the news agencies just don't find it pertinent so they don't include it, or that it's too much effort to investigate in the 24 hour news cycle. It's completely possible, or even likely, that US immigration policy is the big culprit in these, but I can't help but feel like if the reason X immigrant(s) have been in the US for so long and are suddenly being deported supported the argument that immigration policy was entirely to blame, the news would be all over it. It's hard to form an opinion on these kinds of issues, because I don't ever feel like I'm getting the whole story.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby Learned Nand » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:00 am

cmsellers wrote:So one thing I'm wondering about is why this guy was here forty years from age six but never became a citizen.

This is more common than you'd think. I can't, for some reason, find the article that I read about this, but US policy does very little to encourage permanent residents to become citizens. And because the process is so expensive and long, immigrants are by default discouraged from becoming citizens. See, for example, Jae Lee v. United States, No. 16-327 (2017), in which a Korean who came to the United States permanently when he was 13 faced deportation 35 years later because he was selling MDMA.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Lindvaettr » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:58 am

aviel wrote:US policy does very little to encourage permanent residents to become citizens. And because the process is so expensive and long, immigrants are by default discouraged from becoming citizens. See, for example, Jae Lee v. United States, No. 16-327 (2017), in which a Korean who came to the United States permanently when he was 13 faced deportation 35 years later because he was selling MDMA.

If not being deported for dealing drugs when you're dealing drugs isn't incentive, I don't know what is.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance