Government Shutdown 3: Civil War

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Government Shutdown 3: Civil War

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:59 pm

iMURDAu wrote:I think that if it were generic Republican President instead of Trump the Dems would cave as usual. I'm not going to be surprised if they do but I was a bit surprised to see them act tough and take a stand.

I am not surprised.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Windy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:04 pm

I was promised civil war where's my civil war

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:21 pm

I, Sir, am warring you, in a civil manner. I disagree, *gunshot*

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:23 pm

This war was to be civil. Who is is using firearms in a way that isn't celebratory?

I feel we've crossed over into the genteel tea thread, or at least I have.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Marcuse » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:35 am

Would that US politics resembled this in any way.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:05 am

Windy wrote:I was promised civil war where's my civil war

You don't need no civil war. It feeds the rich, but it buries the poor.

EDIT:

Marcuse wrote:
Spoiler: show

Would that US politics resembled this in any way.

This is the first time I've noticed Big Ben in the background here. Makes sense; after all, how else would you know this took place in England except for literally everything else about the scene?

Last edited by Crimson847 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:09 am

edited. I have no idea why I posted that. Apologies.

Last edited by SandTea on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:41 am

So who all wants to come with me to South Carolina to shoot guns at that fort in Charleston Harbor?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Crimson847 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:50 am

And now the government has shut down again.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... 2018-again

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Kate » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:57 pm

Barely. That was just a baby shutdown. Maybe they should work out bipartisan bills that aren't literally too long to read before a vote needs to go through lest we shut down the government.

Also it'd be great if we could stop getting bills passed by promising to fix it later.

"We can pay for these tax cuts by reducing spending, but we have to pass this first!"

"Okay okay so we didn't reduce spending, but we promise, we will totally get to that whole 'immigrant' thing later, if we just pass this now."

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby Cobra-D » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Kate wrote:Barely. That was just a baby shutdown. Maybe they should work out bipartisan bills that aren't literally too long to read before a vote needs to go through lest we shut down the government.

Also it'd be great if we could stop getting bills passed by promising to fix it later.

"We can pay for these tax cuts by reducing spending, but we have to pass this first!"

"Okay okay so we didn't reduce spending, but we promise, we will totally get to that whole 'immigrant' thing later, if we just pass this now."

Dude Kate, you're asking for way to much here, these are politicians, not adults. They're not mentally developed enough to handle such complexities.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:01 pm

Windy wrote:I was promised civil war where's my civil war

That depends on whether Diamond Distribution and Publishing goes too deep into the red again.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Crimson847 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:37 pm

Cobra-D wrote:Dude Kate, you're asking for way to much here, these are politicians, not adults. They're not mentally developed enough to handle such complexities.

I have a rule of thumb: if relatively few of the people who are placed in a particular situation perform badly, the problem is most likely within those people. If most of the people who are placed in a particular situation perform badly, the problem is most likely the particular situation.

Personally, I don't think Congress is such a clusterfuck because the individuals that compose it are mostly incompetent or stupid. A few, sure, but nowhere near a majority. I think Congress is such a clusterfuck because the country's political situation has become so difficult for legislators to navigate that even reasonably smart, competent people can't figure it out well enough to avoid fuckups like these.

Which actually concerns me more than the alternative, since if the problem was just that our representatives were all drooling morons that would at least be simple to fix. Not necessarily easy, mind, but simple.

- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Ceiling_Squid » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:28 pm

blehblah wrote:Again, this is a guy who has demonstrated a lack of detailed knowledge about every policy every topic he comes across. There are plenty of vacuous people out there, but Trump is a perfect vacuum of knowledge; he's a veritable black hole of knowing things. There is no way he has an appreciation of tax policy, government funding, trade agreements, health care, immigration, the environment, or border security. While he loves to talk about what a great builder he is, the reality is the only thing he's good at is doing is tearing shit apart, you know, like those super-dense thingies in space.

Trump's default setting is, "If I didn't do it, it sucks," and every day he's finding different stuff he didn't do. If he didn't make it, it must be destroyed. If he doesn't understand it, it must be stupid. If he doesn't know about it, it's not worth knowing.

Make no mistake, no matter how much heat Trump gets for this, he will declare it a victory. That's easy to do when you have, quite literally, absolutely no idea what the hell is going-on.

I realize this is much belated, but I have to congratulate you for this excerpt. It spoke to me, and viciously so.

Ceiling_Squid
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Previous