Driving in Manhattan could cost $11.52 because of congestion

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Driving in Manhattan could cost $11.52 because of congestion

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:20 pm

I don't even understand how this is doable, much less legal.

Motorists would have to shell out $11.52 to drive into the busiest parts of Manhattan under a new proposal floated by Gov. Andrew Cuomo to ease traffic congestion and raise vital funds for mass transit.

Trucks would pay even more — $25.34 — while taxi cabs, Uber rides and for-hire vehicles would be charged between $2 and $5 per ride. The pricing zone would cover Manhattan south of 60th Street.

Doesn't there have to be some kind of vote on this, or can the city of New York actually impose a "fuck you, we need money" tax? Also, why the hell are taxis and Uber drivers (mostly) exempt? Cabs don't do anything to eliminate congestion and I expect the popularity of Uber makes it worse, since people who would have been taking the bus or subway can now afford the luxury of summoning their own chariot.

Maybe just make the rich pay their fair share of taxes and you won't need to be shaking down drivers for "vital funds."

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: Driving in Manhattan could cost $11.52 because of conges

Postby Learned Nand » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:24 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:Doesn't there have to be some kind of vote on this, or can the city of New York actually impose a "fuck you, we need money" tax?

I believe in most countries, that's called a "tax".

Really though, this seems like the same thinking behind toll roads; you charge so that the roads aren't as congested. I don't know if it will work here, but it isn't that novel an idea.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby ghijkmnop » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:27 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Lindvaettr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:49 pm

It makes sense to me, and (without being affected by it, or ever having been to New York) I think it's a reasonable idea. New York has a great public transportation system. There are subways and buses to take you practically everywhere you need to go, and a great deal of the city is already built to be walkable. It doesn't seem unreasonable at all to charge people a fee to drive in the busiest sections of town when they have other, very convenient methods of transportation available to them.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:24 pm

If it's to "alleviate congestion," then why do cabs and Uber drivers get such a huge discount? While technically, both are considered "public transportation," neither does anything to reduce the amount of traffic on the road. As I hypothesized in my earlier post, Uber might even make it WORSE considering that people who would once have taken the bus or train can now afford to hire a private car.

I'm also confused as to how enforcement is going to work and what (if any) appeals process there will be if someone disputes that they were in the "congestion zone" during Revenue Hour.

aviel wrote:I believe in most countries, that's called a "tax".

I'm pretty sure that most countries require some kind of due process wherein the government can't just raise taxes and create new ones on a whim. What I was specifically asking was whether they're required to hold a vote for this issue, or can city officials just make up new taxes whenever they want and hope they don't get voted out of office?

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:30 pm

Taxis/Ubers do alleviate the famously bad parking situation.

DamianaRaven wrote:I'm pretty sure that most countries require some kind of due process wherein the government can't just raise taxes and create new ones on a whim. What I was specifically asking was whether they're required to hold a vote for this issue, or can city officials just make up new taxes whenever they want and hope they don't get voted out of office?

This isn't city officials, this is coming from the governor. The due process is that it would have to pass the state legislature before he could sign it into law.

Last edited by Absentia on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:35 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:I'm pretty sure that most countries require some kind of due process wherein the government can't just raise taxes and create new ones on a whim. What I was specifically asking was whether they're required to hold a vote for this issue, or can city officials just make up new taxes whenever they want and hope they don't get voted out of office?

Since when does due process require a public referendum for a tax to implemented? Unless you simply meant a vote in the legislature, in which case I'd point you to your own article:

The proposal is expected to face stiff opposition in the Legislature, which must approve portions of the plan.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:45 pm

I've always been confused by politics. Thanks for the enlightenment! Not that it'll stick. I can already feel the illumination starting to dim.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:15 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:I've always been confused by politics. Thanks for the enlightenment! Not that it'll stick. I can already feel the illumination starting to dim.

Just remember that we're a representative democracy. We choose our representatives, and they handle the rest. There are exceptions, but this is the main part.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance