Worst parents in history chained their 13 children

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Worst parents in history chained their 13 children

Postby JamishT » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:21 am

This whole thing is awful. It's the worst for the kids, of course.

I can also see homeschoolers in general coming under more scrutiny... which isn't the worst thing. I think that homeschoolers, as it is in Ohio where I was homeschooled, should have testing done to make sure they are academically keeping up with/surpassing their public/private schooled peers...and that's about it. I don't think homeschoolers should be monitored for child abuse any more than anyone else. I can see this adding to the narrative that homeschooling is just glorified child abuse (that is rare, but out there).

Also, I am strangely excited to read the big ol' book that someone will write about this whole thing, because I will read that thing and be disturbed...and enjoy it.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby SandTea » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:26 am

Yeah, the officials apparently found hundreds of journals in the house and I immediately thought "what a great book that'll make" but I did feel like a dick for thinking so originally.

Welfare checks should be done on home schoolers.

I don't know if I'm in the minority here but if ya want to teach your kid about stuff; you should know about that stuff, is my position.

That's a separate issue than these fucks being fucks but maybe if there was some sort of check in for people who want to keep their kids home, they wouldn't have been able to abuse their children for.... holy fuck, 28 years.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Crimson847 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:18 am

SandTea wrote:I don't know if I'm in the minority here but if ya want to teach your kid about stuff; you should know about that stuff, is my position.

Are you suggesting that certain educational credentials be required, or a general knowledge test performed, or what?

AFAIK most public school teachers major in education, not the specific subject they teach (that's more of a thing at the university level). So provided that you're also a college graduate, your child's history teacher probably doesn't have any more formal background in history than you do. What they know, they read out of the text or learned on their own, just as any homeschooling parent could.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:35 am

Crimson847 wrote:So provided that you're also a college graduate, your child's history teacher probably doesn't have any more formal background in history than you do.

When I was in high school, I had a US History teacher who had never taught American history before.

I knew more about American history for most of the period she was supposed to be covering than she did, as did several of my classmates. The textbook she was using was often wrong or misleading and if you pointed it out you got to have a fun circular argument with her where she pointed back to the textbook.

The funny thing is though that in Massachusetts English and social studies teachers are expected have to have a background in the field they're teaching (I don't know if it's an actual requirement or merely an expectation), and she had a degree in history. It was in European history, but you'd still think she'd have known better.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby SandTea » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:55 am

Are you suggesting that certain educational credentials be required, or a general knowledge test performed, or what?
'

I think a general educational knowledge requirement would align with my beliefs. I can understand why many people don't think that but I still support the sentiment.

Yes, educational credentials would help home schooled kids, and we shouldn't just let anyone "teach" their kids.

It would be nice,yes, if the people telling our children whats what would be informed on the matter.

SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:18 pm

On Megan Kelly Today, the sister of the mother was on. She had a few things to say.

Robinette said that about eight years ago, she was no longer able to Skype with her nieces and nephews.

Around the time that Louise Turpin turned 40, Robinette also said her sibling confided in her that the family had stopped attending church.

She thought it was cool that they had quit going to church, and that they were — didn’t trust the church anymore — and they were experimenting with different religions.

"And at the time she told me that her and David, the older children were helping her take care of the younger children, so her and David could kind of sow those wild oats that they didn’t sow when she was younger,” Robinette said.

...There's more to it, and of course I don't know how much is true or not or if the aunt is just trying to get $$. Especially since she's spoken to police but not her nieces or nephews yet. Then again, maybe they don't want any family to talk to them yet, I don't know.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:57 pm

I wouldn't want these poor kids going anywhere near this whole family until they've sorted out all the crazies. There are too many ways a skeezy relative could manipulate these kids into changing their story. Best they be kept far, far away from such influences. They need plenty of food and therapy, not busybody relatives trying to assuage their own guilty consciences.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby SandTea » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:58 am

I think that was about a different shitty abusive parent in a different thread?

I do have to agree that the sister, "R" something, doesn't come off as a good home either. I will give her the fact that she didn't abuse 13 children so she is (probably) not that bad. The sister telling reporters about how the mother decided on not going to church and having sex a bunch also influenced my position towards this stance.

SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:04 am

SandTea wrote:I think that was about a different shitty abusive parent in a different thread?

Yep. I fucked up and posted it in the wrong thread. It's been flagged and so should be moved soon.

Got it. - TM http://thecommentsection.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=10590&p=265347#p265347

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:03 pm

SandTea wrote:I think that was about a different shitty abusive parent in a different thread?

I do have to agree that the sister, "R" something, doesn't come off as a good home either. I will give her the fact that she didn't abuse 13 children so she is (probably) not that bad. The sister telling reporters about how the mother decided on not going to church and having sex a bunch also influenced my position towards this stance.

Meh, I wouldn't stand in that corner about the woman TBH. I mean she was just telling people what happened and to me pointing out the change in someone's behaviour i.e. stopping going to church when that had been a thing before, is a relevant detail to mention, particularly the nugget about her not trusting churches anymore, which has an element of conspiritorial thinking to it. In the aftermath of people being revealed to be heinous criminals, when people come a knocking to find out details, these are the kind of things a person would say to my mind.

Plus the notion they were to some degree neglecting their parental responsibilities to focus on their sex lives by having the older kids look after the younger ones, is also something worth mentioning. I mean there's nothing wrong with having older siblings baby-sitting the younger ones, but ... why you gotta be telling your sister about your fucking habits? Just say the older kids are doing a bit of baby-sitting.

Anywho, my point is basically these are tidbits that when someone asks 'well was there anything odd about them?' or 'did you notice any changes in their behaviour?' that are to me reasonable to mention. But now that cameras are being pointed at this lady, everything SHE says is going to be put under a microscope too, in a "I wonder what she meant by that?" kind of way, and I'm guessing she aint no expert in media relations herself.

Plus I hardly think there's anything anti-not going to church or anti-sex bunch having inherant from the statement I read in and of itself.

And in general, I'm never going to think bad of someone just because they're related to bad people. If so that would place these kids in the 'Potentially Bad Cause They're Related To Bad People Category' now too.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby SandTea » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:27 pm

Just to respond to Logan.

I won't say you're right (because we can not know) but I will say that I agree that it would be unfair for me to have those assumptions based on so little information.

I still want the kids checked up on, no matter where they go. The parents pictures in the brief court hearing where they were told not to contact the kids were weird enough.
Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show
I'm just worried and wish I could make sure that the kids get a good home.I'd be skeptical of anyone, really.

SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:01 pm

SandTea wrote:Just to respond to Logan.

I won't say you're right

YOU'RE DEAD TO ME ... again.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:35 pm

I feel like if we're going to do welfare checks on home schooled kids we need them for all kids. I went to public school with a couple kids who had really awful home lives.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:44 pm

iMURDAu wrote:I went to public school with a couple kids who had really awful home lives.

In theory, public school is supposed to serve as a daily "welfare check" for students. Teachers are actually required by law to report warning signs of an abusive home life. Of course, a lot of them weasel through the loophole of "reasonable doubt" - it's very, VERY hard to prove that somebody actually knows a thing and made a conscious decision not to tell. It's good to encourage personal discretion, because you don't want social workers knocking on doors for every skinned elbow and forgotten lunch. Still, a teacher puts their career on the line for ignoring things like bruises, filthy clothing, and always being ravenously hungry without food or money.

I don't remember if you're Canadian or not, nor do I know if the laws are different up there but I imagine it's more or less the same. Teachers are supposed to notice and do something when it's obvious that a child is being abused and/or neglected.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:22 pm

I'm not Canadian but I have visited there. The problems I'm referring to are ones that teachers can't see. I'm talking, for example, about kids raising themselves, the reason they have clean clothes is because they're doing laundry at 11 years old while their Dad and Uncle are smoking crack on the front stoop. Teachers aren't privy to those things because a kid would be 1) embarrassed for schoolmates to find out, and 2) scared of being removed from the only home they know despite how toxic it is.

Regarding the actual topic I'm wondering why the neighbors who saw kids marching around a room at odd hours never bothered to call CPS. That is also why lizard people are able to blend in with society. We gots to pay better attention to each other!

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

PreviousNext