Worst parents in history chained their 13 children

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Worst parents in history chained their 13 children

Postby 52xMax » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:28 am

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1F42PB

They got arrested after their 17 year old daughter escaped and went to the police. Naturally, all of them presented severe malnourishment (the cops initially thought the girl was around 10). Notably, these monsters kept them in these conditions even as adults, since their "children" ranged in age from 2 to 29.

I don't know there's much else to say, except fuck these assholes.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Re: Worst parents in history chained their 13 children

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:37 am

Why did they bother having kids in the first place, if they were just going to do that to them?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:38 am

RawStory wrote:The police in a statement did not detail the parents’ motive for holding the children hostage, and a police spokesman said he had no further details.

My money is on "religious crazies." That's usually the case when there're that many children involved. Poor things - I hope their new home has a lavishly stocked kitchen!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Apparently they felt that God had called upon them to have so many children. Still not sure why they chained them up...

James and Betty Turpin, who live in West Virginia, said David and Louise had so many children because "God called on them."

They were given "very strict homeschooling," and would memorize long passages in the Bible, the grandparents said. Some children tried to memorize it in its entirety.

While David and Louise were in the Pentecostal faith, they did not have a church in the area and David's parents knew of no friends that the couple had.

The last time the grandparents visited California about four or five years ago, they thought the children seemed thin but they appeared to be a "happy family," they said.

Meanwhile the "I didn't want to get involved" neighbor award goes to this lady:

"They were very pale-skinned, almost like they'd never seen the sun," said one woman who lives in the neighborhood. "It was mostly girls. Kind of small-framed, kind of tiny. Almost looked a little malnutritioned."

She said the couple mostly kept to themselves and she never tried to pry.

"I respected their privacy," she said. "But now it just breaks my heart. It makes me want to cry."

Also I cannot stress just how badly malnourished they must have been:

The youngest child was 2. At first deputies assumed from their frail and malnourished appearance that all in the group were minors, but they later determined that seven of them were adults ages 18 to 29, the sheriff’s statement said.

Turpin's former bankruptcy lawyer had this to say:

“To me and my wife, Nancy, who was with me during the interviews, we always thought of them as very nice people who spoke highly of their children,” the attorney said. “They seemed like very normal people who fell into financial problems.”

Trahan said that David Turpin, who worked as an engineer at Northrop Grumman, an aeronautics and defense technology company, had a “relatively high” income, but had trouble keeping up with his expenses because he had so many children.

Bankruptcy documents show David Turpin earned more than $140,000 in 2011, when the records were filed, but that the family’s expenses exceeded his take-home pay by more than $1,000 a month.

The Turpins are being held on a 6 million dollar bond. The children are being eval'd by CPS and APS and are in hospital last I had heard.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby D-LOGAN » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:59 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:Why did they bother having kids in the first place, if they were just going to do that to them?

Maybe the reason they had children was so that they'd have people to do that to?

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:07 am

D-LOGAN wrote:Maybe the reason they had children was so that they'd have people to do that to?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:13 am

Do you ever wonder if the kids sang "In The Chain Gang" when it was cold at night?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Ummmm... yeah, no!

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:20 am

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Why do I click on stuff like this? Can't we just agree to pretend it doesn't happen? That's healthy, right?

At times like this I feel the need to crack tasteless jokes, because either it's a way to deal, or I'm a terrible human being; I accept it is quite possibly both.

Reuters wrote:neighbors on Monday described the family as shut-ins who shunned social contact.

We needed the neighbors to tell us this? The guy's haircut screams "shut-in who shuns social contact".

That's... that's all I've got. Back over to you, Nathan.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Cobra-D » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:48 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:Why did they bother having kids in the first place, if they were just going to do that to them?

Tax right off I'm assuming. Isn't that the reason why anyone has kids.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby sunglasses » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:29 pm

Apparently their is a home video of them renewing their vows. The children's faces aren't blurred out in it and its from a few years old. Having seen it, I can see why the officers thought the children were all minors.

I'm not linking it as their faces aren't blurred and am hoping the online publication will blur the faces and then re-release.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:13 am

blehblah wrote:Why do I click on stuff like this? Can't we just agree to pretend it doesn't happen? That's healthy, right?

At times like this I feel the need to crack tasteless jokes, because either it's a way to deal, or I'm a terrible human being; I accept it is quite possibly both.

Reuters wrote:neighbors on Monday described the family as shut-ins who shunned social contact.

We needed the neighbors to tell us this? The guy's haircut screams "shut-in who shuns social contact".

That's... that's all I've got. Back over to you, Nathan.

*sigh* I went a couple days without reading about this. And the first thing I did afterwards was make crass jokes about the guy's haircut.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:12 am

I would advise the authorities to take a long, hard, deep look into their backyard. It's not at all unlikely they'll find more victims there.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:57 am

Hoooooo ... I hadn't even thought of that but ... yeah ... in fact in retrospect I'd be more surprised if there wasn't.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby sunglasses » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:26 pm

It wasn't always this way, per the journals the children kept that have been found in the house.

It started with basic neglect and slowly ramped up to full on abuse.

The girl who escaped and called 911 had been planning it for two years.

They ate one meal a day, and could only shower once or twice a year.

The mother had been married to David since she was 16. I'm not excusing her actions, but I'm wondering if she was essentially brain-washed so to speak into believing their actions were normal. I only say this based on her alleged confusion and bewilderment when the cops came. I also say this based on the fact that there was a religious fixation present per the children being homeschoolled by reading the bible. They and she would have it drilled into them that the father is the head of the household. I'm not certain that they are part of the quiverful movement, but abuses have occurred in households that suscribe to that doctrine.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ca ... er-n838671

I know there is a controversial book that has been held up in courts as evidence in child abuse cases and deaths that would promote beating children with thin flexible tubing and removing meals and other privileges for disobedience.

I don't know,yet, whether the Turpins believed in that rhetoric. But I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out they did.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Next