HAWAII IS DOOMED!!!!!

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

HAWAII IS DOOMED!!!!!

Postby Cobra-D » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:45 pm

Okay not really, but for 38 long minutes it sure as hell felt like it. Early in the morning the people of Hawaii got an early emergency warning message saying a ballistic missle was headed towards the state. Luckily however, the message was sent out by mistake and the only damage reported were the complete destruction of pants and underwear.

Man can you imagine waking up to a message saying a missle was headed your way to kill you? Knowing my dumbass, I would probably go back to sleep.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Re: HAWAII IS DOOMED!!!!!

Postby blehblah » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 pm

Ugh, that terrible moment when you realize the panic-inducing emergency message was successfully sent by your deep-cover agents, but your ballistic missile failed to launch.

His eyes say, "Aww-shite, Aww-shite, Allll-shite"
while his mind says,
"I really need to rethink my acting career."

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:16 am

I'd put "The End of the World As We Know It" on loop and then try to eat all the chocolate I have so it doesn't go to waste.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Delta Jim » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:12 am

Cobra-D wrote:Man can you imagine waking up to a message saying a missle was headed your way to kill you? Knowing my dumbass, I would probably go back to sleep.

That's not dumb. That's realizing there ain't dick you can do to prevent your imminent destruction and deciding you might as well be asleep when it happens.

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:29 am

The stories of people putting their kids into storm drains is pretty heart-rending. It's also beyond sad that a former defense official is thanking God that Trump was golfing instead of launching missiles at North Korea. His point is there and I see it!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby JamishT » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:35 am

I saw a lot of people on Twitter being furious at the President over this. First the reason cited is that he kept golfing instead of telling everyone that it was safe or something. But then people from all ends of the spectrums started spreading logic like this around:

And people changed to "well he's been antagonizing North Korea, and that's why people panicked so hard or something!" That ignores that North Korea has been saber-rattling long before Trumpy came along, and likely would have kept along the same path regardless of who sits in the Oval Office.

Basically, I think it was an awful series of terrible errors made on a state-level, but of course people are blaming the President. And he's not helping himself by saying jacksquat about it, of course, but I don't think this is really another sign of his incompetence.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:48 am

Honestly though, if the world is going to end, Trump feels like the sort of president who should see it out.

Not with a bang, will the world end, nor even a whimper, but with nervous, uncomfortable laughter.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:23 am

JamishT wrote:I saw a lot of people on Twitter being furious at the President over this.

Well, Trump wants credit for everything good that happens (no plane crashes in 2017, stock market on record high, etc.) so why shouldn't he take the blame for everything bad that happens? It's only fair.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Windy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:24 pm

RIP Hawaii's tourism industry

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:34 pm

Windy wrote:RIP Hawaii's tourism industry

Hawai'i's tourism industry was already utterly demolished when literally billions of Trump supporters canceled their vacations to Maui in response to a Hawai'i judge overruling his travel ban.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:05 pm

This was a fuckup of biblical proportions. Some dipshit PFC just got forcibly removed from his MOS.

Anyways, there's about a %50 chance that Hawaiians gave exactly zero shits about the alarm. Air raid sirens are tested island-wide every month, there are about twenty premature tsunami warnings per week (at one point, I even took advantage of an evacuated beach [I lived about five minutes walking-distance away in shitty housing]), and there's just generally an almost NYC level of "Whatever, who cares?"--at least around Oahu.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:39 am

Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:This was a fuckup of biblical proportions. Some dipshit PFC just got forcibly removed from his MOS.

Which is a shame, because it is 100% the fault of the software's UI designer. You do not put "missile alert drill" and "HOLY FUCK AN ACTUAL MISSILE IS COMING TO HIT US RIGHT NOW" as adjacent dropdown options.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:06 am

cmsellers wrote:Honestly though, if the world is going to end, Trump feels like the sort of president who should see it out.

Not with a bang, will the world end, nor even a whimper, but with nervous, uncomfortable laughter.

Also, didn't see this, but no. With Trump as president, the only appropriate way for the world to end is with a cosmic fuckup that is so stupid as to be hilarious. If we're going to have a president as ridiculous as Trump, this can only end as a black comedy (which is to say, grim comedy, not comedy by African Americans, which Trump likely sees as immigrants stealing the white man's job).

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:46 am

aviel wrote:
Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:This was a fuckup of biblical proportions. Some dipshit PFC just got forcibly removed from his MOS.

Which is a shame, because it is 100% the fault of the software's UI designer. You do not put "missile alert drill" and "HOLY FUCK AN ACTUAL MISSILE IS COMING TO HIT US RIGHT NOW" as adjacent dropdown options.

You probably also ought to have a confirmation dialog on the latter.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby RatElemental » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:59 pm

In the event of incoming nukes I would duck and cover.

Seriously though I'd probably try to send a few messages to loved ones, and then hope I'm not in the blast radius. Or maybe that I am. Unless you're in a certain radius of where it goes off a nuke is more like jumping off a cliff. It's not the fall, or the explosion, that kills you. It's the landing, and in this forced metaphor that would be the radioactive fallout coupled with the likely breakdown of any sort of society if enough of the things get set off. There were people in Nagasaki and Hiroshima who survived for such seemingly irrelevant reasons as not being in front of a window when the city got hit(if I recall correctly that is).

If you are outside of the killzone though, don't look at it, and shield your eyes too. Can straight up permanently blind people.

And that's been this episode of "Oh god I hope no one ever has to use this advice, holy shit what is wrong with the world and humanity." Stay tuned for "Existential Dread: the Series."

You just started to
Read the Haiku that you have
Just finished reading
RatElemental
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Next