HAWAII IS DOOMED!!!!!

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: HAWAII IS DOOMED!!!!!

Postby Paradox » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:09 pm

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby hauolihaole » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:19 am

My parents both live on Maui. Apparently, neither one got the text to their phones so my mom thought it was all fake from the start. I was camping in the middle of nowhere, so I didn't even hear about it until a few days later. Pretty scary that my parents could have been dead for several days without me knowing! Quite a few people I know were pretty shaken up about it.

hauolihaole
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:58 pm

IMG_8433.JPG
IMG_8433.JPG (386.05 KiB) Viewed 3120 times

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby Lindvaettr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:25 pm

Paradox wrote:
IMG_8433.JPG

I'm glad to know that the Hawaii Emergency Alert System is employing the best and the brightest developers to craft such exquisite examples of UI design.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby RatElemental » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:02 am

The least they can do is format those links for christ's sake.

Or are they not using HTML and only using a GUI specifically designed to look like the laziest piece of shit HTML page you can possible create for funsies?

You just started to
Read the Haiku that you have
Just finished reading
RatElemental
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:22 pm

The latest I've heard on this story is that it wasn't a case of accidentally clicking the wrong button at all.

BBC wrote:A midnight supervisor at the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency decided to conduct a spontaneous drill during a shift transition. The incoming day supervisor was then said to be unaware the 08:05 drill would involve any incoming day officers, who were then not told about the exercise.
The drill message, which was called in pretending to be from US Pacific Command, began and ended with the words: "Exercise! Exercise! Exercise!". But the warning also said "This is not a drill", in a script that the FCC say was different from established procedure.
According to the federal report, the employee [who pressed the button] was one of three who received the call but did not hear the exercise warning. Believing it was real, they said they sent out the genuine alert out using the agency's software.

I'm not entirely clear how the guy is supposed to have not heard the warning, since it was part of the same call if I understand correctly, and repeated beginning and end in case he missed it once. Although whoever embellished the script pro'ly has a lot to answer for. But the guy apparently has form:

BBC wrote:A state report also released on Tuesday said the employee had a record of "poor performance" on the job.

Reports say he had been a source of concern for colleagues for 10 years, having confused emergency drills with real life incidents on at least two occasions.

He's been fired, and they're not going to let anyone do this again (alerts of this kind now need secondary approval), and have also been called out for doing too many surprise drills and never having developed any plan for dealing with a false alarm.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby D-LOGAN » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:32 pm

CarrieVS wrote:I'm not entirely clear how the guy is supposed to have not heard the warning, since it was part of the same call if I understand correctly, and repeated beginning and end in case he missed it once.

I'm guessing either by paying attention to something else or not paying attention at that particular moment.

It's a mistake I probably woulda made if I was in his shoes. I can see me doing that. Still better it happened to him than me.

Meh, he'll be fine though. I'm sure things will work back out for him eventually in some new job he's better suited to.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:54 am

D-LOGAN wrote:It's a mistake I probably woulda made if I was in his shoes. I can see me doing that.

You mean, like that time you pulled the fire alarm? I wish I could say that wasn't funny but looking back, I can see how someone might have enjoyed the show.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:16 am

Surprise drills are another reason I could never be President.

Their frequency would result in a "crying wolf" scenario.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby RatElemental » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:20 am

iMURDAu wrote:Surprise drills are another reason I could never be President.

Their frequency would result in a "crying wolf" scenario.

D'you mean a 'Charlie Foxtrot'?

You just started to
Read the Haiku that you have
Just finished reading
RatElemental
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Previous