The Wall...Isn't Actually Getting Built?

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: The Wall(?)

Postby Crimson847 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Fun fact: the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales cross over at -40 (in other words, -40C = -40F). So there isn't a whole lot of difference between -30C and -30F (specifically, -30C = -22F and -30F = -34.444...C).

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Crimson847 wrote:Fun fact: the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales cross over at -40 (in other words, -40C = -40F). So there isn't a whole lot of difference between -30C and -30F (specifically, -30C = -22F and -30F = -34.444...C).

Yeah, it's simple, really.

Fahrenheit to Celsius: Subtract 32, then multiply by 5, then divide by 9
Celsius to Fahrenheit: Multiply by 9, divide by 5, then add 32
Fahrenheit to Kelvin: Subtract 32, multiply by 5, divide by 9, then add 273.15
Kelvin to Fahrenheit: Subtract 273.15, multiply by 1.8, then add 32

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:52 pm

And then there's the Rankine scale to consider, which starts at absolute zero like Kelvin but uses Fahrenheit degrees, because American engineers feel like being contrarian I guess.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rankine_scale

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

The Wall...Isn't Actually Getting Built?

Postby sunglasses » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:44 pm

Despite a campaign promise and the fervent chants of supporters, a wall is not going to be built.

It's going to be more along the lines of a fence, which is what George W. Bush did.

Why the change?

White House aide Kellyanne Conway said late Wednesday President Trump "discovered" there doesn't need to be a "physical wall" along the country's entire southern border.

"What's true is that after conferring with the experts who are involved in this process...the president discovered that part of it will be, he knows, part of it will be the physical wall, part of it is better technology, part of it is also fencing," Conway said during an interview on CNN.

"There are rivers involved, I'm told. There are mountains involved-- there's terrain that isn't conducive to building an actual physical structure in some places."

But this does appear to be contradictory to statements made on Tuesday in which Trump stated that there will be no DACA bill without funding for a Wall. Yes, Wall with a capital W. Now, is he now calling a border fence a wall? Well, maybe.

"We don't need a 2,000-mile wall," Trump said Tuesday -- in remarks similar to those he had made in July and again in September -- during bipartisan talks. He'd suggested in those summer comments that the structure needs to be transparent, lest smugglers heave "sacks of drugs over" the top --"60 pounds of stuff" -- and onto unsuspecting American heads.
In addition to possible transparent and fencing portions will be natural barriers already in existence.
"We don't need a wall where you have rivers and mountains and everything else protecting it," Trump added, addressing the roundtable of congressional officials.

Senator Flake is also stated that the Wall is now going to be a fence.

“He (Trump) did stress several times that we’re not talking about a 2,000-mile wall, and, by the way, it’s more of a fence because you’ve got to see through it,” Flake told The Arizona Republic following the meeting. “And they’re only talking about 700 or 800 miles total.”

The result could be something quite different from the "big beautiful wall" Trump promised voters during his 2016 presidential campaign, and what he has advocated for in his first full year of office.

Some aren't sure what to think, and I don't blame them.

"Well, I don't know what to believe because there have been so many different stories from this President about what he means when he talks about a wall that can stretch from Brownsville 2000 miles to San Diego,” O’Rourke told CNN’s “New Day.”

“Thirty feet tall, pure concrete, we’ve heard in the past.”

Indeed, the prototypes built were concrete.

Of note, neither walls nor fence will work against drugs being smuggled over via drone.

So, to re-cap:

1. It's not really a wall, it's a fence (which we already have 700 miles off).
2. Mexico isn't going to pay for it.
3. Ladders, wire cutter, tunnels, and drones defeat fences.
4. Funding for the wall is likely going to cut into other security measures.
5. That tax break is going to cut governmental purse strings even more.
6. If we don't have money to help kid's health care, I'm not sure how we have money for a wall.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Re: The Wall...Isn't Actually Getting Built?

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:09 pm

This is the least surprising news of all time.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:55 pm

Pink Floyd is very disappointed Trump. Very Disappointed!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:19 pm

I mean, the wall was never going to be built. Congressional Republicans, crazy though they may be, aren't crazy enough to stick their names on a boondoggle of such proportions.

Also I feel obligated to point out that I already made a thread about this, complete with Pink Floyd reference.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:23 pm

Trump seems to use the word "Wall" oddly. Sometimes he uses it to refer to a literal wall. Other times, he seems to use it as a synonym for "improved border security". One thing's for sure though, whatever he does or doesn't do, he'll take credit for it.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby sunglasses » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Absentia wrote:I mean, the wall was never going to be built. Congressional Republicans, crazy though they may be, aren't crazy enough to stick their names on a boondoggle of such proportions.

Also I feel obligated to point out that I already made a thread about this, complete with Pink Floyd reference.

Merged and corrected. Sorry about that!

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Absentia » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:45 pm

No problem. And regarding your concerns about wire cutters, I refer you to my original post. The "fence" they're talking about building isn't a chain link job from Home Depot, it's concrete-reinforced steel posts. You're not getting through that with anything less than a brick of C4.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Cobra-D » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:02 pm

Absentia wrote: You're not getting through that with anything less than a brick of C4.

Obviously you never had my tía homemade chilli verde, makes c4 seem like a sparkler, but damn if it ain't good.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby Lindvaettr » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:09 am

Cobra-D wrote:
Absentia wrote: You're not getting through that with anything less than a brick of C4.

Obviously you never had my tía homemade chilli verde, makes c4 seem like a sparkler, but damn if it ain't good.

Wait, is the chili verde called "tía", or is it de tu tía? I want a tía who makes chili verde.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby Cobra-D » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:31 am

Lindvaettr wrote:
Cobra-D wrote:

Wait, is the chili verde called "tía", or is it de tu tía? I want a tía who makes chili verde.

The second one yes, and no you can't have her.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby SandTea » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:14 am

but will it be able to stop smugglers from tossing 60lb packages over it onto innocent americans heads? That's the real concern I have.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby blehblah » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:07 pm

sunglasses wrote:
White House aide Kellyanne Conway said late Wednesday President Trump "discovered" there doesn't need to be a "physical wall" along the country's entire southern border.

"What's true is that after conferring with the experts who are involved in this process...the president discovered that part of it will be, he knows, part of it will be the physical wall, part of it is better technology, part of it is also fencing," Conway said during an interview on CNN.

"There are rivers involved, I'm told. There are mountains involved-- there's terrain that isn't conducive to building an actual physical structure in some places."

I think that was the same interview as this:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/kellyanne-c ... rre-clash/

CONWAY: Christopher, are you telling the viewers that no drugs come through the Southern border? Did you just say that?

CUOMO: No, I’m saying the idea that a wall––

CONWAY: Facts first.

CUOMO: –is going to be a difference–

CONWAY: Be an apple, don’t be a banana!

CUOMO: –the wall is going to be a difference is a joke.

It is the same interview during which Conway says, with a straight face,

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/11/politics/ ... index.html

"We don't care about her. Nobody here talks about her," the White House counselor told CNN's Chris Cuomo on "Cuomo Prime Time." "Nobody here talks about Hillary Clinton, I promise you."

It is a painful ten minutes to watch.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

PreviousNext