Oprah Winfrey for President?

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Oprah?

Hell yeah!
3%
Fuck no!
60%
Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others!
38%

Total votes : 40

Re: Oprah Winfrey for President?

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:16 pm

I think Oprah could win, and I don't want to see a continuation of the Trump presidency. However, I'm not confident Oprah would do a better job than Trump. Having business empire and being president presents horrifying opportunities for corruption which I have no doubt she will take advantage of. I greatly dislike Oprah as a person and don't think she uses her power responsibly.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:17 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:23 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:

Uh, is this ironic? Oprah is actually going to run for president.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:29 pm

The thing is that Oprah is seriously considering running for president, and it's entirely plausible that she could win the nomination if she runs. The same is true of the Rock and Mark Zuckerberg.

Nobody seriously argues that Elvis ("The King"), Michael Jackson ("The King of Pop"), or Beyonce should be an actual monarch. Even if they did, the chances of passing a constitutional amendment to allow it is exceedingly unlikely. No country has established a new monarchy (as opposed to reinstating an old royal family) since the end of WWI. Not even North Korea which has a monarchy in all but name.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:34 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby Absentia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:59 pm

I'd like to propose a 28th amendment: Anyone with their own TV show is permanently ineligible for the office of President.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:16 pm

I actually thought the whole conversation came from a joke taken wrongly. Oprah had said before she had no interest in running.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:19 pm

sunglasses wrote:I actually thought the whole conversation came from a joke taken wrongly. Oprah had said before she had no interest in running.

Listen to the speech and tell me it's a joke.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Yeah, I mean, I saw the speech and it was a great speech but I didn't think it meant she was going to throw her hat in the ring. Here's also why I mentioned the joke bit:

It all got brought back up again, at first, because of a joke.

Golden Globes host Seth Meyers stood before Oprah Winfrey, who was set to receive the Cecil B. DeMille award Sunday night and was sitting in the very front of the room. As Meyers opened the awards show, he mentioned his 2011 White House correspondents’ dinner gig, the one where he joked about Donald Trump not being qualified for president.

“Some have said that night convinced him to run. So, if that’s true, I just want to say: Oprah, you will never be president! You do not have what it takes. And Hanks! Where’s Hanks? You will never be vice president. You are too mean and unrelatable. Now we just wait and see.”

Winfrey burst into laughter. But an hour later, she took the stage to deliver an incredibly rousing speech that was both personal and a universal call to action. “I want all the girls watching here and now to know that a new day is on the horizon,” she said to thunderous applause.

She could have easily meant a new day in regards to what she was talking about in the beginning of the speech: increased representation of black people-especially a black woman-in the film and tv industry.

Since Sunday, Winfrey hasn’t made any public statement about her intentions.

“I’m thinking she is not going to be running for president,” Winfrey’s best friend, Gayle King, said Tuesday on CBS This Morning. “I do think she is very intrigued, and I also say, as I’ve heard for many years on the ‘Oprah Winfrey Show,’ you always have the right to change your mind. But that is certainly not something she’s considering right now.”

In the past, Winfrey has definitely shut down the suggestion. She told the Hollywood Reporter in June, “I will never run for public office. That’s a pretty definitive thing.”

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:55 pm

I don't think she will run. She has built her whole "brand" on being likeable and adored by the masses. If she ran, she would have to be prepared for half the country to hate her just because of the party she would be running with.

Last edited by IamNotCreepy on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:36 pm

I'm not on board with Oprah. She's got no experience. I'm against putting people in positions of power when they don't even have a slight understanding of the industry they'd be working in. I've had enough of those bosses irl, I don't want those types running my country.

Is it really too much for me to ask for a candidate with executive branch experience? I don't want 3 noobs in a row. I'm a fan of Maryland's Governor , can we just get him nominated?

A March 2016 Gonzales Poll showed Hogan holding a 71% approval rating in a state in which Democrats outnumber Republicans 2–1, despite some friction with the state's Democratic legislature

It's kind of easy if you're trying to govern from the middle. That's what this country needs. Someone who isn't beholden to the extremist maniacs on their side.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Grimstone » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:19 pm

cmsellers wrote:The problem isn't that she's a minority woman. Tammy Duckworth would wipe the floor with Trump and I'm pretty sure Tulsi Gabbard and Kamala Harris would also beat her.

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby Cobra-D » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:41 pm

Honestly I don't care if she runs or not, I'm not going to automatically dismiss her just because she's a celebrity, the same way I didn't dismiss trump when rumors circulated he was gonna run, in gonna hear them out and see what they have to say...and then dismiss her if her agenda doesn't align with what I want in a candidate.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby Lindvaettr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:26 am

Cobra-D wrote:Honestly I don't care if she runs or not, I'm not going to automatically dismiss her just because she's a celebrity, the same way I didn't dismiss trump when rumors circulated he was gonna run, in gonna hear them out and see what they have to say...and then dismiss her if her agenda doesn't align with what I want in a candidate.

While I hesitate to dismiss anyone without knowing their agenda, I would lean heavily towards dismissing her purely because of her lack of political experience. The position of President of the United States is quite possibly the most important political position to ever exist, certainly the most important elected position to ever exist. It's extremely irresponsible to elect someone with no political qualifications or experience to that post. It's easy to say nice things and get people to agree with you, but actually getting things done and not fucking everything up is a totally different thing.

To me, electing a person with no experience for that position, just because you like their agenda, is like making a kid from the mail room CEO just because you think he had a good idea for a new product. Sure, you might strike gold and the mail room kid turns out great, but chances are far higher that he'll immediately be in way over his head and the company will hemorrhage money.

I'll stick with the scummy dirtbag politicians with scummy dirtbag political experience to do the scummy dirtbag political work.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:32 am

Lindvaettr wrote:The position of President of the United States is quite possibly the most important political position to ever exist, certainly the most important elected position to ever exist.

Not anymore, it isn't! Bear in mind, he put on this show BEFORE we let him take the helm without setting the streets on fire in protest.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

PreviousNext