Portland Populace Panics Per Prospect of Pumping Petrol

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Portland Populace Panics Per Prospect of Pumping Petrol

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:19 pm

Here's an idea: Instead of not being used to something, they can just shut up and get used to that thing so they won't be idiots? It's actually quite simple. For example, I used to curl up in horror over the thought of being forced to juggle mangoes in a serafuku for a Maine Coon furry while a gibbon throws Werther's Originals at me. It had never happened to me before, and likely never will, but, having accepted the experience of such a situation, I have achieved Nirvana.

Last edited by Deathclaw_Puncher on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:30 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:For example, I used to curl up i horror over the thought of being forced to juggle mangoes in a serafuku for a Maine Coon furry while a gibbon throws Werther's Originals at me.

For some folks, that's less a fear than a fetish. Different strokes!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Marcuse » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:00 pm

sunglasses wrote:I did not realize I was supposed to tip them.

This explains so many things.

Did Home Alone 2 steer me wrong? I thought everyone in the US was counting tips whenever they weren't working to get more tips???

Also, the idea that there's a controversy over petrol pump attendants is weird to me. In the UK I don't think I've ever seen a petrol station with one. Over here you do it yourself, why pay someone to do something you could do yourself?

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Australia » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:19 pm

I saw the documentary of the dangers of petrol pumps and they're right to be scared.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:36 pm

I don't like strangers touching my vehicle. I'd like to change my own oil but I don't want to see the reminder forever and ever amen because the dealership has to reset it. Last oil change they didn't tighten up the shield thingy underneath the oil pan (I don't want to call it a skid plate because it's a FWD economy car ffs) and it came off during our Ohio trip. I once had an oil change place break the oil line in the vehicle I was driving. The oil light came on the next day because it was completely dry, they denied causing the damage. I was going to sue them but they went out of business the month afterwards.

Pumping gas is not anything I'd let a stranger ever do. Especially now that I have a car with a capless filler. Too easy to screw that up. Even with directions printed on the shit.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:13 pm

Kate wrote:Honestly, I hate driving through Jersey for this reason. I don't like handing over my card, I don't like tipping people for something I could do myself for free with no difficulty but obviously I'm not going to not tip them, the prices are higher, and it's just one more awkward interaction that I don't need to have.

For what it's worth, I've never tipped a gas station attendant in my life, and have never heard of such a thing.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:27 pm

I've never tipped a gas station attendant, nor do I know anyone who does unless they get somehow extraordinary service.

That said, I live in Oregon where full-service is the norm; I could see it being different in areas where self-serve is dominant and full-service is seen as a luxury.

Speaking of which...

Y'all haters are just jealous.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:29 pm

Crimson847 wrote:That said, I live in Oregon

Please tell us your tales of encounters with the insidious Oregonian transients

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby sunglasses » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 pm

Is it true that the transients will kidnapped unattended children and make bread out of their bones?

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby SandTea » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:42 pm

The only thing I don't like is the "mandatory" part. I see it as a buffet vs a restaurant sorta thing. While I may have doubts about some waiters, who I then do not return to, I'm mostly fine with them bringing me my food. I don't know what to think about tipping if you are in the mandatory service areas. but...

With that analogy in mind, I think tipping your servers is the right thing to do, in our current situation. If one doesn't tip their waiters then I guess that point is already hopeless though. I just hope that the mandatory areas don't pay the same as the optional ones.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:59 pm

Lindvaettr wrote:
Crimson847 wrote:That said, I live in Oregon

Please tell us your tales of encounters with the insidious Oregonian transients

Buy me a drink and I'm sure I can come up with something withstand the horror of facing those memories again. *sobs*

sunglasses wrote:Is it true that the transients will kidnapped unattended children and make bread out of their bones?

Only if the child is unattended because the parent is pumping gasoline. Letting your kid run around and make trouble while you're at the park or shopping at the mall is fine, but in the presence of airborne gasoline vapor the transients gain super strength and speed, allowing them to tear a locked car door open like it's made of tissue paper and run away on foot faster than the parent can chase them in their car.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:40 pm

f915d01.jpg
f915d01.jpg (45.87 KiB) Viewed 3773 times

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:49 pm

Good god, where was that picture taken? Are we sure she's not an alien pretending to be human?

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:20 pm

Australia wrote:I saw the documentary of the dangers of petrol pumps and they're right to be scared.

Spoiler: show

HAHA, silly transients.

Today, I have learned that Oreganian transients are beautifully unintelligent, male, and quite resourceful. For that, I thank you.

Anyway, I feel the need to quote the late, great, Leonard Cohen on this:

"First, we take New Jersey,
Then we take Oregon"

The most prescient Canadian transient out there. Sure, he got the order wrong, but have some respect for the dead, people.

To get back to Australia's serious point, if the transient criminals can spray flammable liquids all over, thereby endangering lives, isn't giving tax-paying, red-and-blue-blooded folk the ability to defend themselves by spraying flammable liquids all over the place and endangering mostly transient lives the right thing to do?

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby sunglasses » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:38 pm

26168693_1219209484879388_2784918550916732819_n.jpg
26168693_1219209484879388_2784918550916732819_n.jpg (21.49 KiB) Viewed 3748 times

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext