Police Instantly Kill Innocent Man Over Prank Call

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Police Instantly Kill Innocent Man Over Prank Call

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Well this has taken a weird turn.

Apparently, Barriss was a swatter for hire. He wasn't even one of the COD guys in the original argument. He was hired by one of the two involved in the fight.

This is crazy.

And he gave an interview to Keemstar about it. Crazy AF.

I don't know if the player who hired him has been identified or have had charges placed against him or not.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Lindvaettr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:34 pm

My biggest question from all of this is why, if he's some professional swatter, does he get arrested so damn much? You'd think if you made a living this way, you'd have figured out how to get away with it. Maybe a burner phone from a McDonald's parking lot across town? It seriously doesn't seem like it would be that hard to not get caught doing this stuff.

And who hires the guy who keeps getting caught? If I wanted to hire a criminal for something, why would I hire the one who gets arrested every time? If you want a getaway driver for your bank heist, you wouldn't hire the guy who gets caught at the police barricade every time. If you want a hitman to murder your wife for insurance money, you wouldn't hire the hitman who always gets arrested for being a hitman. Do people not do any research into their mercenary criminals?

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:35 pm

Fucking great. According to the link Sunny posted, he should have still been in jail when this happened, but nooooo. Gotta make room for drug users! I hope Mr. Finch's family sues the ass out from under the morons who let this guy go. Since when do guys who look like him get to make bomb threats and then go home early? I guess our legal system can only be bothered to brutalize the innocent and victimless - people who commit REAL crimes are just too much hassle, I guess.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Lindvaettr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:49 pm

What ho, compatriots! I apparently didn't read the article very well my first time through, because I missed this absolutely priceless gem

SWauTistic wrote:if you can't pull off a swat without getting busted you're not a leet hacking God its that simple

So I guess he's not a leet hacking God, much to everyone's certain astonishment.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:52 pm

*looks up the word leet*

(in England) a yearly or half-yearly court of record that the lords of certain manors held.

Yeah, I don't think that's what he means - I'm sure it's some kind of modern twatslang. I only see it (usually looking like l33t) in very stupid, immature conversations that are mostly gibberish to the literate and mature.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:57 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:Fucking great. According to the link Sunny posted, he should have still been in jail when this happened, but nooooo. Gotta make room for drug users! I hope Mr. Finch's family sues the ass out from under the morons who let this guy go. Since when do guys who look like him get to make bomb threats and then go home early? I guess our legal system can only be bothered to brutalize the innocent and victimless - people who commit REAL crimes are just too much hassle, I guess.

While I agree that he shouldn't have been released (given his continuing record), I wouldn't say assume it was because of drug users. A stupid number of criminals get released early for stuff like "good behavior" even if they're repeat offenders, and I have no idea what his actual sentence was. "2 years" or "1 year" is only half the info. He could very well have had "2 years subject to parole after 1" or something. Not that he should have been paroled or released early, regardless, but I don't think it's fair to make assumptions as to why, without any additional info.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:04 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:19 am

Lindvaettr wrote:While I agree that he shouldn't have been released (given his continuing record), I wouldn't say assume it was because of drug users.

According to the Bureau of Prisons, there are 207,847 people incarcerated in federal prisons. Roughly half (48.6 percent) are in for drug offenses. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, there are 1,358,875 people in state prisons. Of them, 16 percent have a drug crime as their most serious offense.

101,014 in federal prison
217.420 in state prison

That's a total of 318,434 people locked up because somebody was trying to get high and somebody else had a problem with it. I blame drug laws for early releases because many states carry heavy mandatory minimum sentences for drug crimes. During the "Just Say No" crack hysteria of the 80's, shitloads of draconian laws went down in almost every state to specifically ensure that convicted drug felons couldn't get "early release."

By my calculations and intuitions, if so many assholes didn't keep trying to solve drug abuse by "cracking down even harder," we wouldn't be in a situation where dangerous criminals were being let go early while drug users find themselves tangled up in stupid "tough on drugs" policies that keep them locked up for most of their sentences.

If it weren't for our draconian drug laws, there would be ~318,434 places to put assholes like this one and lots of out-of-work prison guards just itching for a new job. It's pretty appalling that they let him go not once but TWICE, the second time after he'd violated the terms of his first release. If cornered and asked why they did something so pants-on-head incompetent, the people who made this decision would start whining about "overcrowding" and how there just isn't enough funding to keep guys like this locked up.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:51 pm

This shithead is even wanted in Canada... for the same bullshit, naturally!

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:33 am

DamianaRaven wrote:
Lindvaettr wrote:While I agree that he shouldn't have been released (given his continuing record), I wouldn't say assume it was because of drug users.

According to the Bureau of Prisons, there are 207,847 people incarcerated in federal prisons. Roughly half (48.6 percent) are in for drug offenses. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, there are 1,358,875 people in state prisons. Of them, 16 percent have a drug crime as their most serious offense.

101,014 in federal prison
217.420 in state prison

That's a total of 318,434 people locked up because somebody was trying to get high and somebody else had a problem with it. I blame drug laws for early releases because many states carry heavy mandatory minimum sentences for drug crimes. During the "Just Say No" crack hysteria of the 80's, shitloads of draconian laws went down in almost every state to specifically ensure that convicted drug felons couldn't get "early release."

By my calculations and intuitions, if so many assholes didn't keep trying to solve drug abuse by "cracking down even harder," we wouldn't be in a situation where dangerous criminals were being let go early while drug users find themselves tangled up in stupid "tough on drugs" policies that keep them locked up for most of their sentences.

If it weren't for our draconian drug laws, there would be ~318,434 places to put assholes like this one and lots of out-of-work prison guards just itching for a new job. It's pretty appalling that they let him go not once but TWICE, the second time after he'd violated the terms of his first release. If cornered and asked why they did something so pants-on-head incompetent, the people who made this decision would start whining about "overcrowding" and how there just isn't enough funding to keep guys like this locked up.

Personally I don't see why you are linking now the crack-down on drug users who engage in illegal substances and are arrested for that fact to a guy falsely calling the police on someone which ended up killing a father. If there is a problem (in Australia this is a big problem due to our bail laws) I would say it is because the legal system has become too soft and prisons are essentially a revolving door for many.

I don't think the problem here is that the law is not lenient to drug dealers and addicts and that this is why it happened.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:12 am

*smiles politely, with a slightly vacant glaze* A'ight, then.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:26 am

DamianaRaven wrote:*smiles politely, with a slightly vacant glaze* A'ight, then.

Hahahahaha, I have a feeling that we disagree on a lot of things. But I'll be damned if I don't eventually find some common ground with you.

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby RatElemental » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:14 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:*looks up the word leet*

(in England) a yearly or half-yearly court of record that the lords of certain manors held.

Yeah, I don't think that's what he means - I'm sure it's some kind of modern twatslang. I only see it (usually looking like l33t) in very stupid, immature conversations that are mostly gibberish to the literate and mature.

It's pronounced "Elite"

Basically l33T-speak is an odd mix of using names of symbols as part of the word, using similar symbols to the one you want to use the sound of, semi-metaphorical code words (a computer is referred to as a box, or more commonly, a b0x), and intentional misspellings that are still homophones if you pronounce them as is. Oh and can't forget the random ass caPitALiZation.

I tend to view anything seriously written in l33t-speak as a brain teaser to figure out.

You just started to
Read the Haiku that you have
Just finished reading
RatElemental
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:19 pm

At least they fired the fucking idiot who shot the little girl while trying to kill a dog in a roomful of kids.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:46 am

DamianaRaven wrote:At least they fired the fucking idiot who shot the little girl while trying to kill a dog in a roomful of kids.

Bit off topic since it has nothing to do with the case.

Anyway some updates:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-14/california-man-charged-in-kansas-for-fatal-hoax-call/9327198
A California man accused of making a hoax emergency call that led to the fatal police shooting of an unarmed man in Kansas has been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Tyler Barriss made his first court appearance in Kansas via video link from jail on Friday following his extradition from Los Angeles.

The 25-year-old is also charged with giving false alarm and interference with a law enforcement officer.

Bond was set at $500,000.

Relatives identified the victim as 28-year-old Andrew Finch.

Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett told reporters following the brief hearing that he was still reviewing whether any charges will be filed against the police officer, and once he made a determination that decision would be made public.

He said he was awaiting a final autopsy report.

The hoax call reportedly was made after a dispute over a small wager online in a "Call of Duty" video game tournament, according to Dexerto, a news service focused on gaming.

Other people alleged to be involved in the game are under investigation, Mr Bennett said, which involves a forensic analysis of machines, phones and computers.

The hoax call reportedly was made after a dispute over a small wager online in a "Call of Duty" video game tournament, according to Dexerto, a news service focused on gaming.

Other people alleged to be involved in the game are under investigation, Mr Bennett said, which involves a forensic analysis of machines, phones and computers.

There is no other situation quite like this to reference," Mr Bennett said.

Bennett acknowledged the "sort of novelty" of the case, noting the public interest in it and questions about whether laws regarding computer-related crimes need to be changed.

"The law is catching up with technology," he said.

In Kansas, involuntary manslaughter carries a sentence of 31 to 136 months, depending on a defendant's criminal history, Mr Bennett said.

Prosecutors allege Barriss was in Los Angeles when he called police on December 28 with a fake story about a shooting and kidnapping at a home in Wichita, Kansas.

The caller who phoned Wichita police said in a relatively calm voice that he had shot his father in the head and was holding his mother and a sibling at gunpoint, according to the 911 recording.

He said he poured gasoline inside the home and "might just set it on fire".

When police responded to the address, an officer fatally shot 28-year-old Andrew Finch after he opened his door.

Police have said he moved a hand toward his waistband and an officer, fearing he was reaching for a gun, fired a single shot and killed him.

Finch was unarmed.

Barris has a history of making such hoax calls, which are sometimes called "swatting".

Court records showed Barriss was convicted in 2016 on two counts of making a false bomb report to a TV station in Glendale, California, and sent to Los Angeles County jail for two years. Jail records show he was released in January.

Not only that but apparently a few days prior Barriss made another swatting hoax in Canada, which luckily didn't end badly.

“While officers were on scene trying to confirm the reported information, Calgary 911 received another call from a female who lived at the address, who believed she was the victim of a swatting call,” said Peter Siegenthaler of the Calgary police service.

“The female exited her residence and officers confirmed that the initial report of a shooting and hostage scenario was false.” Nobody was hurt during the incident.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext