Police Instantly Kill Innocent Man Over Prank Call

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Police Instantly Kill Innocent Man Over Prank Call

Postby sunglasses » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:01 pm

Sand. Tea.

Them surrounding the house and getting ready to use a megaphone or such would have been confirming the Intel. You get the ppl out if the house, check it, and then interview them.

In this case, before they can do any of that, guy opens the door and ignores the commands of putting his hands up (which would have shown he had no weapon).

If the next time someone calls in and says "I've shot my mom and am going to kill my sisters if you don't stop me and I'm at xyz place" and they take the time to try to google who might live at the house (spokeo is often inaccurate BTW), see if they can find them on social media, talk to them and see if they've posted about anything, and then determine the threat is real and get to the house only to discover the guy killed everyone and himself guess who's going to get blamed? The cops.

When they call in these false tips they don't give a name. Because then you might be able to look up the person's name.

This is significantly different then a no knock drug warrant in which they've ignored conflicting intell on who lives there or if there are children present.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Marcuse » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:22 pm

Okay, let's calm this thread down a couple of notches.

While people inevitably come to a subject like this with strong opinions and wish to express them, there's absolutely no reason to impugne the motives of anyone participating in this thread.

Let's remember that everyone is allowed to have an opinion on the matter, even if that opinion is, in your view, wrong or bad. You're allowed to tell them that opinion is wrong or bad. What we don't need is people appending "and you're a bad person" either overtly or by implication.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:30 pm

If the police, a black boy, and the Grinch can all get along, I don’t know why we can’t.

C1A921BB-C131-4B90-BAB6-62412B2DBE6E.jpeg
C1A921BB-C131-4B90-BAB6-62412B2DBE6E.jpeg (58.92 KiB) Viewed 4159 times

PS there are no gamers in this image. They still can’t get along.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Cobra-D » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:06 pm

Man I to watch the video of being shot multiple times to see what happened, they need better cams is my only conclusion.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:21 am

gisambards wrote:I wasn't referring to you. I'd be happy to debate it with someone who's trying to be reasonable about it, and who does seem to have actually made an effort to know what they're talking about. But right now I don't see what the point of trying is when it's just going get me insulted by others. I completely fail to understand why you can't see what's blatantly wrong with SandTea's ridiculous approach to this debate, or Damiana's spreading of misinformation.

This is where I point out you're just as bad as they are. Basically because I haven't defended either of those posters, just because I quote someone doesn't mean I'm holding hands with them in the name of togetherness.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:28 am

iMURDAu wrote:...just because I quote someone doesn't mean I'm holding hands with them in the name of togetherness.

I can certainly confirm that it's not my hand you're holding! Wait, no... that's not your hand. (My bad.)

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby gisambards » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:14 pm

iMURDAu wrote:This is where I point out you're just as bad as they are.

That's simply incorrect.

The inaction of the mods on this whole thing has been ridiculous. It's not enough to just ask everyone to calm down so that this sort of thing just happens again the next time Damiana wants to rail against the police. It should not be happening that you keep having the same user create CAaSS threads built around sensationalism where she her friends just insult anyone who disagrees with that. At the very least, the titles that frequently contain lies are quite explicitly against guidelines.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:19 pm

If people would like to express a concern about moderation, please use the Ask A Mod forum. It's literally what it's there for.

Furthermore, as people can't understand basic instructions, this thread has been locked for 24 hours.

Edited: Unlocked

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:55 pm

Barriss was arrested in California in 2015 for allegedly making bomb threats to a television station in Glenadale, and was charged with two felony counts of false report of a bomb and one felony count of criminal threats. He was convicted in 2016 and sent to prison for two years and was released in January according to court documents, the Associated Press reported.

Looks like the prank caller is a repeat offender of scumbagness, hopefully for causing the death of this man he can be charged at least with some degree of manslaughter.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby SandTea » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:41 pm

sunglasses wrote:In this case, before they can do any of that, guy opens the door and ignores the commands of putting his hands up (which would have shown he had no weapon).

I was more speaking on how there are tons of places that don't feel the need to shoot possible perpetrators, even if they don't follow the cops specific orders. I didn't mean cops should do a social media background check or even a phone call. Just that it is unnecessary to shoot anyone trying to pull up their pants.

I would rather not be afraid that if the police got something wrong I could be killed for tightening my belt while turning to see what the fuss was at my door. That is all.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:52 pm

Thank you for clarifying.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:21 pm

I learned a long time ago to not answer the door for the police unless you're the one that called them. Then I learned that lesson again.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:39 pm

I don't think this guy quite answered the door. As I understand the story, he wandered outside to investigate a ruckus and before he could figure out what was going on, it was already too late.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:30 pm

Seems like the Wichita Police can't catch a break.

Less than one week after a Wichita Police Department officer fatally shot an innocent citizen in a “swatting” prank, a second officer has been placed on administrative leave after shooting an innocent citizen.

The Wichita Eagle reports an officer attempted to shoot a “mid-size, mixed-breed dog” while responding to a domestic dispute involving a suicidal 33-year-old man.

The officer missed the dog and the bullet fragmented and ricocheted after hitting a hard floor. A bullet fragment struck a 9-year-old girl above her right eye. She was one of three children inside the home when the officer opened fire at the dog.

Fortunately, the kid wasn't seriously hurt, but it may be time for this particular police department to completely overhaul their firearms training before anyone else gets hurt or killed.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:45 pm

Yeah, I'm wondering now if the issue is the Wichita department. It seems like maybe they need some retraining. Or learning how to destress. Or...something? I think everyone needs therapy at least once in their life. Maybe we can start there. I actually think after a shooting they are required to have therapy, but that might have just been hollywood nonsense. I know many of them opt out of counseling d/t the stigma.

Edit: hit submit too soon. Of course the issue could very well be that we're focused on Wichita right now so any incident could make it all look like it's related. Too small of a sample size. Not that I want a larger sample size.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext