The mouse eats the fox

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

The mouse eats the fox

Postby Pseudoman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:13 pm

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-buy-21st-century-fox-assets-including-film-studio-bob-iger-extends-2021-1065347?utm_source=twitter

So for those who haven't heard, for a while now Disney was in talks in buying assets for 21st century fox, in particular the entirety of 20th century fox studios (essentially everything but cable news). Which would mean productions such as Simpsons, Star Wars (distribution rights), Avatar, X men and Fantastic Four (although Constantine still has the rights it'll be unlikely they end up being financed for another F4 movie). The value of said purchase was predicted to be around 80 billion. Today the deal is official and the purchase was about 52.4 billion ( I guess Disney picked it up during a steam sale).

Personal thoughts on of the largest concern I've came across on the net:

Disney will end up becoming a monopoly/ too powerful.

For starters no, even with this deal Disney will not end up becoming monopoly, since; WB, Universal, Sony and another one are still in the game and despite Disney's efforts this year WB managed to match Disney's Box Office numbers in November, although will end up be overtaken with the upcoming Last Jedi.

What particularity annoys me about this argument is that those who make this argument end up being the same people that complain about how major studios also want to start their own streaming services and would rather prefer to use only one, which mind you such a business model would be so unsustainable I would be legally obligated to anyone who thinks this is a good idea, throw them out of a building onto the pavement in wall street and call it a legal suicide.

Even if in the event Disney somehow purchased all the studios became a monopoly of the box office and end up killing the movie industry, guess what in the long run all of that will be fine. Industries ebb and flow, more often than not when an industry comes back from the dead it'll be more stronger than its previous incarnation (death of atari gave us nintendo, the dying of cable gave us streaming, the dying of the dinosaurs gave well us and that was pretty much a down grade, making this entire paragraph pointless).

So do I think Disney is perfect, no. Do I think there's only good in this deal, no. For it has been estimated about 3000 people will end up losing their jobs, I guess one could pass it off as just business but you know what else was a business, the international slave trade.

In the defense of Nazi's they do have a good sense of fashion.
Pseudoman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Re: The mouse eats the fox

Postby sunglasses » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:01 pm

There have been verbalization of concerns from many people as Disney owning everything. I mean, hell, ERB did a piece on it two years ago.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:46 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby KleinerKiller » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:10 pm

If this affects Legion in any way -- or anything else about either FX or the more mature X-Men spinoffs -- I'm going to be very pissed.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Cobra-D » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:57 pm

If it makes anyone feel any better I bought stocks in these company before happen so now I'm marginally rich now.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby cmsellers » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:31 pm

Cobra-D wrote:If it makes anyone feel any better I bought stocks in these company before happen so now I'm marginally rich now.

And just in time for the Republican tax cuts too!

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:57 pm

KleinerKiller wrote:If this affects Legion in any way -- or anything else about either FX or the more mature X-Men spinoffs -- I'm going to be very pissed.

I just want another 5 seasons of Preacher. And to see how much Disney pays for UFC broadcasting rights because Fox sold them their leverage. This does conveniently set up my dream theory of having the end of Infinity War just be a cut to Deadpool playing with action figures and annoying Cable by saying how much he resembles Thanos.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:33 am

FB_IMG_1513298426461.jpg
FB_IMG_1513298426461.jpg (67.07 KiB) Viewed 4009 times

On one hand, this whole deal is worth it for an after-credits scene of Chris Evans and RDJ approaching Hugh Jackman in a bar telling him they're putting a new team together.

On the other hand, Deadpool, X-23, anything remotely mature-rated Marvel films are now dead.

I also do not like the idea of Disney owning all of these properties and studios.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:49 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby cmsellers » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:45 am

So this is what concerns me about this. Disney recently pulled its content from Netflix in an attempt to start its own streaming service. As far as I know it was only Disney-branded content at the time, but if they were pull all the content they own in order to attempt to dominate online streaming services, then that becomes monopolistic behavior.

Microsoft did a similar thing with offering schools discount MS software if they'd ban non-MS alternatives from the school; I learned this happened when Netscape vanished from school computers and complained to the IT guy. Even after the anti-trust ruling, my school maintained its ban on non-MS products, possibly through habit, possibly because it didn't invalidate stuff MS had already done.

So it seems all-too-plausible that Disney will either use its control of an absurd number of properties to expand its marketshare, or as leverage to buy Netflix outright, and that even in the unlikely case of this happening under an administration who decides to do something about this, any consequences will be a slap on the wrist compared to Disney's newfound domination of streaming.

However this still doesn't bother me nearly as much as the impending ATT/Time-Warner merger.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:01 am

FaceTheCitizen wrote:I don’t think this means the death of mature Marvel films. Marvel comics still produces dark and mature stuff all the time and they’ve owned Marvel for years.

Can we get a Marvel/Star Wars/Aliens/Disney Princess crossover, please?

I so want to see what Spider-Man would do to Kylo Ren.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:58 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:
FaceTheCitizen wrote:I don’t think this means the death of mature Marvel films. Marvel comics still produces dark and mature stuff all the time and they’ve owned Marvel for years.

Can we get a Marvel/Star Wars/Aliens/Disney Princess crossover, please?

I so want to see what Spider-Man would do to Kylo Ren.

He would save him.

Spoiler: show

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby IamNotCreepy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:12 pm

cmsellers wrote:So this is what concerns me about this. Disney recently pulled its content from Netflix in an attempt to start its own streaming service. As far as I know it was only Disney-branded content at the time, but if they were pull all the content they own in order to attempt to dominate online streaming services, then that becomes monopolistic behavior.

Microsoft did a similar thing with offering schools discount MS software if they'd ban non-MS alternatives from the school; I learned this happened when Netscape vanished from school computers and complained to the IT guy. Even after the anti-trust ruling, my school maintained its ban on non-MS products, possibly through habit, possibly because it didn't invalidate stuff MS had already done.

So it seems all-too-plausible that Disney will either use its control of an absurd number of properties to expand its marketshare, or as leverage to buy Netflix outright, and that even in the unlikely case of this happening under an administration who decides to do something about this, any consequences will be a slap on the wrist compared to Disney's newfound domination of streaming.

However this still doesn't bother me nearly as much as the impending ATT/Time-Warner merger.

That is my only concern. One interesting aspect of this is that with this purchase, Disney will own a stake in Hulu. I'm wondering how that will affect Disney's streaming plans.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind