Woman arrested for subjecting son to unnecessary surgeries

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Woman arrested for subjecting son to unnecessary surgeries

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:38 am

Early front-runner for mom of the year right here.

A Texas mother is in jail after hospital staff sounded alarm over a boy who had been seen 323 times at various medical centers and undergone 13 major surgeries in his eight years of life. Kaylene Bowen, who has allegedly previously claimed her son was dying of a genetic disease, fighting cancer and suffering from several other ailments over his lifetime, was arrested on a warrant accusing her of injury to a child with serious bodily injury, The Star-Telegram reported.

Bowen, 34, remains in Dallas County Jail while the boy, whose name is Christopher, and his two half-siblings have been placed in foster care. The boy’s father, Ryan Crawford, said he’s tried alerting authorities to Bowen’s actions previously, but was shut down by courts who sided with her.

“It was always the same story: Christopher is dying,” Crawford told The Star-Telegram. “The father doesn’t need to be around because he doesn’t know how to take care of him. Every time I went to court, they made me feel like I was the worst human ever.”

According to a Child Protective Services petition, Christopher was seen 323 times at hospitals and pediatric centers in Dallas and Houston between 2009 and 2016, The Star-Telegram reported. At various points, he was placed on oxygen fulltime, used a wheelchair, and was outfitted with a feeding tube that lead to life-threatening blood infections. Court documents revealed that Bowen placed Christopher in hospice care, and tried to have him placed on a lung transplant list.

“It’s horrible for my son, or any kid because obviously my son is not the only one that has had to go through this type of torture,” Crawford told The Star-Telegram. “The system has to be exposed – all the weaknesses that are in the system – because the kids don’t deserve that.”

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Re: Woman arrested for subjecting son to unnecessary surgeri

Postby cmsellers » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:05 am

And this is yet another reason why shared custody should be the default everywhere. Becoming a mother doesn't magically bestow on you the ability to always know what's right for your child, and two voices in important decisions decreases the chances of this shit happening.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:21 am

Perhaps we should outlaw munchausen's by proxy. As in, make them outlaws in the old-fashioned sense of the term.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:40 am

I like that the judge didn't have to consider the father's evidence that there was nothing wrong with the child.

I've had a judge decline to see evidence that would have won a case against a landlord so I know how frustrating that can be but I didn't lose the right to see my kid so... maybe idk judges should have to consider evidence or at least be more open to being open and not prejudiced against a litigant.

Good job Texas. The child is in foster care, the father is distraught, the insurance companies got hella paid and so did the hospitals. How much are the taxpayers paying the foster family to harbor a child that should be with his parent?

I'd like to understand how the state can claim to have been investigating her for years while letting this shit continue.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby sunglasses » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Especially after the Gypsy Rose case gained notoriety

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby IamNotCreepy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:06 pm

Why is the kid in foster care and not in the care of the father? It says that he is "seeking custody" of his son. It seems outrageous that he would have to have to jump through a bunch of hoops for that.

I agree with sellers. The custody system in our country is extremely unfair and needs to be overhauled.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby sunglasses » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:13 pm

Family court judges are laws unto themselves. I really don't agree with it. Should be a panel or something. IMO.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:51 pm

IamNotCreepy wrote:Why is the kid in foster care and not in the care of the father? It says that he is "seeking custody" of his son. It seems outrageous that he would have to have to jump through a bunch of hoops for that.

The father had the gall to refuse that his son was dying. So the judge took away his visitation. I'll bet that once the mother either beats the charges or serves a small amount of community service that she'll have custody once again.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:56 pm

Previously with medical abuse cases, the parent (normally the mother) doing the abusing will lose rights to her child/ren.

I am a bit frustrated they've not put this child back with his father. Their reasoning was not sound, IMO. They claimed he didn't really know his father (which is their fault) and his father is correct, the kid doesn't really know the foster parents either.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:00 pm

Ah I'm only familiar with regular abuse and neglect, not medical abuse.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:06 pm

There are many conspiracies about why DCF seems so eager to snatch up some kids while letting others suffer and die right under their noses.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby sunglasses » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:31 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Ah I'm only familiar with regular abuse and neglect, not medical abuse.

Understandable.

Once alleged, and convicted, they do seem to view it differently.

See:

Hope Ybarra

Also, if anyone is interested the dad, Ryan Crawford, has a gofundme for the legal costs.

https://www.gofundme.com/ryancrawford

As for CPS conspiracies, I'm sorry but I refuse to even entertain those. Often the same people who claim CPS is kidnapping children claim that they aren't investigating parents soon enough or aren't doing enough when there is an incident. There are numerous issues with CPS state to state (most are institutional biases) but the conspiracy theories hold no water to me.

This article presents 3 different viewpoints of CPS.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:08 am

I'm inclined to agree with the overall rejection of "conspiracy theories" involving CPS. Most of that talk is coming either from kooks who believe in Illuminati Lizard People or from parents who have been in trouble with CPS and don't want to admit that they fucked up. I've been the subject of their investigations twice in my life and both times, they treated me with a proper balance of concern, respect, and benefit of the doubt. One of those times, I was actually grateful for their attention because it let me know that someone besides me cared about Sonja's safety and well-being. (I'd beaned her in the nose accidentally while throwing something and it left a bruise.)

The other time, I was a bit annoyed and exasperated because some busybody neighbor found out from my blabbermouth sister that I was a phone sex operator and assumed that I must be taking calls right under her nose because... well anyway, the social worker reassured me that being a whore isn't automatically child abuse, especially if you're on the right side of the law.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt