Sexual allegations 2: politician edition

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Sexual allegations 2: politician edition

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:37 pm

So I'm no longer the forums Washington Sexual Harassment Correspondent? Okay then.

Meanwhile, Ruben Kihuen says that he's not resigning and that the Democratic leadership knew about the allegations against him before he was elected, and yet supported him.

But while denying the allegations, he issued a sort-of-apology like Franken's:

The staff member in question was a valued member of my team. I sincerely apologize for anything that I may have said or done that made her feel uncomfortable. I take this matter seriously as it is not indicative of who I am.

Oh, yeah, the "I'm sorry you're offended" type-apology, the "it's not who I am" bullshit, we have heard that before, form men who then were ruined. Only the shameless survive - like Trump, like Roy Moore - who deny everything, refuse to apologize for anything and call their accusers liars.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:14 am

I want you all to know that even though I was caught with two underage girls tied up in my basement that my actions in this one incident in no way reflect who I am. I usually have at least three minors tied up in my basement.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:57 am

Representative Trent Franks (R-Arizona) announced that he will resign in January, after the House Ethics Committee began investigating him for sexual misconduct. Apparently he asked two of his staff members to surrogates for him and his wife because they couldn't have a child.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:19 pm

I heard a rumor that the Washington Post is supposed to drop some bombshell of a story soon that outs 20+ Congressman for sexual misconduct. It's just a rumor for now though.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Aquila89 wrote:Representative Trent Franks (R-Arizona) announced that he will resign in January, after the House Ethics Committee began investigating him for sexual misconduct. Apparently he asked two of his staff members to surrogates for him and his wife because they couldn't have a child.

that's...actually pretty fucking sad.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby tinyrick » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:56 pm

sunglasses wrote:
Aquila89 wrote:Representative Trent Franks (R-Arizona) announced that he will resign in January, after the House Ethics Committee began investigating him for sexual misconduct. Apparently he asked two of his staff members to surrogates for him and his wife because they couldn't have a child.

that's...actually pretty fucking sad.

That is sad. Is there more to the story? Is he seriously resigning only because he asked two women if he asked two women to be surrogates? I understand there's a power dynamic where it can be uncomfortable to say no, but if he didn't threaten them, then what's the problem? My strongest relationships are with people I work with. I see them every day. I consider them my closest friends. If I needed someone to carry my baby cause my wife was barren, I'd probably ask my friends first cause we're close. I'd feel more comfortable with someone I know carrying my baby.

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:04 pm

tinyrick wrote:Is he seriously resigning only because he asked two women if he asked two women to be surrogates? I understand there's a power dynamic where it can be uncomfortable to say no, but if he didn't threaten them, then what's the problem?

I think there has to be more. Otherwise, the Ethics Committee wouldn't be investigating him, otherwise he would not have announced his intention to resign. Paul Ryan's office released a statement that said: " the speaker was briefed on credible claims of misconduct by Rep. Trent Franks. He found the allegations to be serious and requiring action." But just asking your staffers if they are willing to be your surrogates isn't misconduct, is it? So I guess, maybe he did threaten them.

Franks released this apology: "I have recently learned that the Ethics Committee is reviewing an inquiry regarding my discussion of surrogacy with two previous female subordinates, making each feel uncomfortable. I deeply regret that my discussion of this option and process in the workplace caused distress."

There has to be more there than making them "feel uncomfortable". It's not like the Republicans are overzealous about sexual harassment.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Cobra-D » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:28 pm

Aquila89 wrote:But just asking your staffers if they are willing to be your surrogates isn't misconduct, is it?

Depends on how you ask it. I mean there's more than one way to make someone a surrogate.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby Marcuse » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:44 pm

But just asking your staffers if they are willing to be your surrogates isn't misconduct, is it?

I did read that and wonder. People often become pretty personally close to folks they work with, and I could easily imagine long time staff being open to that kind of a discussion, even if they eventually decided against it. I wonder if the real context of "surrogacy" is just code for "could I fuck you the one time?" which people found inappropriate.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:54 pm

Maybe he could have done it in a more power-balanced way by asking Melania Trump.

I'll see myself out...

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:25 pm

Update: while Franks originally said he'd only resign in January, he changed his mind and resigned today.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:26 pm

Cobra-D wrote:
Aquila89 wrote:But just asking your staffers if they are willing to be your surrogates isn't misconduct, is it?

Depends on how you ask it. I mean there's more than one way to make someone a surrogate.

There was more to the story.

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:43 pm

I can't remember his name but the rep who had pics taken in his PJs with a playboy bunny and who used tax payer money to pay off someone is now being investigated by the ethics committee.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby blehblah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:24 pm

sunglasses wrote:I can't remember his name but the rep who had pics taken in his PJs with a playboy bunny and who used tax payer money to pay off someone is now being investigated by the ethics committee.

You mean this guy: https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/ ... ene-278869

Blake Farenthold

Who also is this guy: https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/ ... ent-287263

Rep. Blake Farenthold’s office hired lawyers from a private firm to conduct a review after two staffers' complaints about inappropriate workplace conduct in 2016, Farenthold's office confirmed on Friday.

Farenthold (R-Texas) is under fire after settling a sexual harassment claim using $84,000 in taxpayer money. He has denied wrongdoing, and one ethics watchdog cleared him of wrongdoing in 2014. But the House Ethics Commission announced Thursday it is still investigating the four-term congressman.

Since I'm not American, I don't want to come-across as telling ya'll what to do, but... (HA? no... no ha to my but?) it might be easier to fire all of these people, each and every last <ahem> one of them, and then have some solid HR folks work-through their applications. You know, like us normals do.

It would probably save a lot of time, money, and heartache, while also being hilarious, in the tragic form of hilarity.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Cobra-D » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:42 pm

tinyrick wrote:
Cobra-D wrote:

There was more to the story.

Yep, knew it was gonna be that.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

PreviousNext