Sexual allegations 2: politician edition

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Sexual allegations 2: politician edition

Postby tinyrick » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:00 am

Chuck Schumer calls the cops after forged sex scandal.

Why it matters: This was an apparent effort to dupe reporters and smear a senator — both symptoms of an amped-up news environment where harassment charges are proliferating and reporters have become targets for fraud.

The former staffer told me in a phone interview that she did not author the document, that none of the charges ring true, and that her signature was forged.

She said she had never heard of the document before Axios took it to Schumer's office for comment on Tuesday.

Matt House, Schumer's communications director, told me: "The document is a forged document and every allegation is false. We have turned it over to the Capitol Police and asked them to investigate and pursue criminal charges because it is clear the law has been broken."

House continued: "We believe the individual responsible for forging the document should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law to prevent other malicious actors from doing the same."

A password-protected PDF of the 13-page document was shopped to Axios and other outlets. The document, which is dated 2012 and has the file name "Schumer_Complaint," looks like a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.

One of many red flags: No lawyer for the staffer is named.

The woman named in the document was a legislative staffer for Schumer from 2009 to 2012, and is now a career employee of the federal government.

The former staffer said she took the matter to Washington, D.C. police on Tuesday. She said the police told her they were unsure of their jurisdiction in the case. She said she now plans to go to Capitol Police.

She told me in a statement: "The claims in this document are completely false, my signature is forged, and even basic facts about me are wrong. I have contacted law enforcement to determine who is responsible. I parted with Senator Schumer's office on good terms and have nothing but the fondest memories of my time there."

Axios agreed to her stipulation that she not be named, because she said she is the victim of a crime.

Gee, I wonder if we should immediately trust allegations made against people Roger Stone just happens to not like very much?

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:50 am

Dan Johnson, a member of the Kentucky House of Representatives committed suicide after he was accused of molesting a member of his church in 2013, when she was 17.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:46 am

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Crimson847 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:20 am

Reminds me of the other day, when I was having lunch at a pub with my dad's longtime girlfriend Ana, a remarkably generous woman from El Salvador with a big voice, a big smile, and a big heart. After the waitress took our order and was about to leave, Ana stopped her and effusively said "my God, you are so beautiful". The waitress tensed up at first and robotically said "oh, thank you...", at which point Ana laughed and clarified "don't get me wrong, I like men, but you are beautiful. And do you know what makes you so beautiful? Your smile." Hearing that, the waitress relaxed, said "oh, thank you!" in a much more sincere tone, complimented Ana right back for being so kind, and then practically skipped off to the kitchen.

Me, I think guys who don't get the difference between a compliment and sexual harassment should watch a video of that exchange, take notes, and then explain in their own words why the waitress' reaction to that compliment switched from nervousness to giddiness so quickly.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Cobra-D » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:34 pm

Kentucky house speaker resigned Monday as speaker due to a sexual harassment settlement came to light in November.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Remember Blake Farenthold? I wrote about him here over four months ago, when it was revealed that he settled a sexual harassment lawsuit using taxpayer money. He then promised he'd pay it back. Well, he still hasn't. But he suddenly resigned a week ago, so the House Ethics Committee dropped its investigation of him, as it no longer has jurisdiction.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:30 pm

Cobra-D wrote:Kentucky house speaker resigned Monday as speaker due to a sexual harassment settlement came to light in November.

I misread this, and am disappointed that it wasn't the Speaker of the Senate from Kentucky.
Yes, I know the term is "Senate Majority Leader," but it doesn't work if I use that.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Previous