8values: Yet another political spectrum test

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: 8values: Yet another political spectrum test

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:10 am

download (6).png
download (6).png (96.99 KiB) Viewed 5106 times

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Askias » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:50 am

D821903B-D776-45E1-9738-4E0C6828BAE9.png
D821903B-D776-45E1-9738-4E0C6828BAE9.png (602.14 KiB) Viewed 5101 times

Something I notice in a lot of these tests is the defintions of ‘authoritarian’ versus ‘liberty’. They tend to define ‘authority’ as how much you want to ban, while I think that’s a lousy metric. I score pretty high on the liberty scale because on the common subjects they ask about - drugs and prostitution in this case- I’m a pretty live-and-let-live person. But while I hold liberal views, I think of myself as authoritarian: I default strongly towards increased (centralized) government power, consider following the law a moral imperative in and of itself besides whatever morals the law in question serves, and would in extremis likely chose a more stable dictatorship over a more volatile but freer state. Libertarian, I am certainly not. I can’t see beneath the hood of this test but I don’t think my views on drug legalisation and my hestitation to condone violence even against oppression should be considered for the same axis.

The rest is expected. Not sure why the diplomatic axis is called ‘peaceful’, since I did expres that I believe war can be required (a higher score gets ‘internationalist’, which I think is a much better term). I’m also still not fond of framing it as ‘nation vs the world’, as some questions did. I certainly favor international coöperation and accountability, but do not mistake that for not thinking my nation has its stuff together better than the vast majority of the planet.

If there be here lesson or moral, it lies beyond the competence of him who wrote this post.
(Jack Vance, Emphyrio)
Askias
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Night Owl

Postby Grimstone » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:08 am

Note: I didn't choose to 'strongly' agree or disagree with any of the statements because they were all so vague.

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby Crimson847 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:32 am

canvas.png
canvas.png (64.43 KiB) Viewed 5079 times

Not very happy with the test. One, it seems to rely way too much on questionable inferences (e.g. if you think something is good or important, the test seems to presume that you therefore want it imposed by force of law). Two, a lot of the statements are grossly overbroad, like "military spending is a waste"--I think our current level of military spending is excessive, but that doesn't mean I think military spending is a waste in general, so I put "neutral/unsure" on that one even though I'm not at all neutral on the wisdom of our present military spending levels. Three, there's too many vague code words like "family values" rather than specific descriptions.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:01 am

This is going to shock and awe y'all who know me somewhat:

If you stand in the middle of the road, you're much less likely to get run over. ;)

I'm not sure how a 60/40 split (the Diplomatic Axis) is "balanced" though.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby tinyrick » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:23 pm

8values.png
8values.png (60.89 KiB) Viewed 5050 times

I think the most surprising result for mine is the economic axis. I'd actually consider myself a little more pro-market than the test suggests by about 10 points, but as someone else suggested, these tests use America as a baseline where all it takes to be a full-blown commie these days is believing there should be some regulation, like not dumping chemicals in the river. (Ironically, the people concerned about chemicals turning frogs gay vote for the party that rolls back the regulations keeping you from dumping chemicals into rivers that turn the frogs gay.)

The diplomatic axis is about where I expect it to be. I believe in working with other nations to solve global problems, but one of the questions asked if I believe all cultures are equal. I don't believe in racial superiority, of course, but I think that a culture can be superior. I certainly don't think America is the most superior culture in the world, but I'm pretty sure we're better than Saudi Arabia. Even intra-country I can definitely say that Massachusetts is a better place to live than Mississippi.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby 52xMax » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:02 am

I know some of you might have been curious about my results, and to be honest I was a tad curious myself, so here they are:

8values.png
8values.png (58.36 KiB) Viewed 4968 times

More or less what I expected. The margin of error is due to answering neutral on a few questions I didn't feel were properly worded (or like many have pointed out, too focused on American politics). All in all I didn't think it was a bad test, but I wish they could go more into detail in some of these issues instead of making broad generalizations.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Pseudoman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:01 pm

Pictured the average result of an anarchist

In the defense of Nazi's they do have a good sense of fashion.
Pseudoman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:15 pm

I can't find the image now, but someone took this test and got Libertarian Communism as a result and I was like, "Ummmm....Wut?"

I believe in Democratic Despotism. We hold elections and somehow unanimously vote for the same guy every time.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Piter Lauchy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:07 pm

index.png
index.png (63.96 KiB) Viewed 4929 times

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby sunglasses » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:27 pm

download.png
download.png (87.35 KiB) Viewed 4924 times

I'm not surprised but there were a number of questions I answered neutral to, as I didn't have a strong opinion about them.

I also find frustration with the notion that you have either authority or liberty.

Honestly, if I surprised anyone I would love to know.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby cmsellers » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:13 am

So Tess retook this test, which prompted me to retake it. Most of my results are basically the same, but I've moved 6% more towards markets and 12% more towards traditionalism, though I'm still on the same side of center in each case as when I started.

My first thought is that this might be because I'm really mad about the information I shared in my nutrition thread. There are at least two questions (is government funding of research better than private sector funding, and are traditions valuable for their own sake) where I changed my answer by at least two points explicitly because of this. However I'm pretty sure I changed my answer to the EU question even more drastically (from strong support to weak oppose) and that barely made a dent in my internationalism score (though because I was so close to the center, it did move me over the line), so I'm not sure if being angry about this changed how I answered other market and traditionalist questions, or if there are other things before this which influenced that score. Remind me to take it again in a year and see if I stay in my current positions or move back to where I started.

results.png
results.png (81.41 KiB) Viewed 3865 times

My old results for comparison

Edit: I mentioned being skeptical of the EU in my OP, so I had probably already changed my views at that point.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby AsamiSato » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:15 pm

Oooh, this is fun!

8values test results.png
8values test results.png (73.35 KiB) Viewed 3837 times

I would sum up my political views skepticism of concentrated power in any form (edit: plus social justice). It looks like I'm pretty similar to sunglasses. I also answered a lot neutral.

Last edited by AsamiSato on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
AsamiSato
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:56 pm

I also did it again.

8values.png
8values.png (111.22 KiB) Viewed 3827 times

Looks like I've gotten ever so slightly more progressive, authoritarian, nationalist and a fair bit more market. I still think some of those questions suck. Like, is it right to define illegal drug use as a "victimless crime"? I'm not sure. I am apparently now a neo-liberal. I don't know how I got so traditionalist when I answered that traditions were valueless in and of themselves, and that we shouldn't uphold traditions no matter what.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:17 pm

download.png
download.png (107.02 KiB) Viewed 3823 times

I ended up with Centrist on economics because the questions were so oversimplified I felt like I had to hedge everything towards the middle instead of strongly agreeing or disagreeing. I want to examine economic issues individually based on empirical evidence, not make blanket statements about whether government intervention is abstractly good or bad. I guess that's a kind of centrism?

And frankly I'm not sure where I left that last 15.5% of progressivism on the table.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext