Louisiana Sheriff sulks about releasing "good" prisoners...

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Louisiana Sheriff sulks about releasing "good" prisoners

Postby sunglasses » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:56 pm

My apologies, I thought we were still talking about jail.

I got mixed up.

In the case of the rehab, I suspect the judge got a kick back like we had with the teen prison pipeline in pa.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby LegionofShrooms » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:22 am

DanteHoratio wrote:I think it's clear that our current prison system just does not work. The way it SHOULD work is they serve out their term, and while they are serving their term, they have people there who help the prisoners to find a better life when they do finish their term and allowed out.

But the way it is now, prison is very cruel and violent, where prisoners are treated worst than animals. All this does is insures that the prisoners will remain criminals when they get out, that they won't be able to survive out there or find a job and feel like they HAVE to go into a life or crime.

We NEED to rethink our prison system.

We do, but sadly this is easier said than done for the same reasons as gun reform.

The prison system wields an extraordinary amount of money and influence on Capital Hill. They've been pouring millions into lobbying for laws and backing politicians elections that benefit their industry as far back as 1989, and that's a number that's only continued to grow. The Trump campaign alone took away a cool 500k to go towards their funds.

It's a crooked system, one that's damned hard to affect change because most people that are in a position to do something are either in on the game or don't wield enough influence and resources on their own to get things done.

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:58 am

sunglasses wrote:Stop acting like they're rounding up civvies at crosswalks and putting them to work in the fields.

For the record, that's not really what I meant at all.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby blehblah » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:36 pm

I am late to this party, so please accept my most Canadian apologies.

I'm going to go a bit sideways on this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauv%C3%A ... al_Officer)

Sauvé v Canada (Chief Electoral Officer), [2002] 3 S.C.R. 519 is a leading Supreme Court of Canada decision where the Court held that prisoners have a right to vote under section 3 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. The Court overturned the prior decision of the Federal Court of Appeal and held that s. 51(e) of the old Canada Elections Act, which prohibited prisoners from voting, was unconstitutional.

Contrast that with...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_ri ... #Prisoners

Practices in the United States are in contrast to some European nations, such as Norway. Some nations[42] allow prisoners to vote. Prisoners have been allowed to vote in Canada since 2002.[43]

The United States has a higher proportion of its population in prison than any other Western nation,[44] and more than Russia or China.[45] The dramatic rise in the rate of incarceration in the United States, a 500% increase from the 1970s to the 1990s,[46] has vastly increased the number of people disenfranchised because of the felon provisions.

I know that doesn't immediately tie into using prisoners for cheap labour, or offering work programs to them (whichever phrasing you prefer). Shrooms hit on a note which I agree with - paying inmates for work is but a small part of a really big, complicated, problem.

What I'm subtly implying (TM) is you guys have created a huge fucking mess with your system. Ours is not much better, mind. I'm aware I'm throwing stones in the proverbial glass house.

Heck, the glass house could be expanded in many directions. Are prisoners allowed to organize to negotiate wages? Do they pay taxes on the wages?

Putting people in prison will always be a net financial loss. Looking at these programs as cost recovery is a very focused viewpoint. It's not wrong, but it is not pulling-back the focus to address, or at least wonder about, the costs of incarceration versus the value of it - to a given society and individual - how people end-up in prison, and on and on.

There's a societal iceberg... someone call Sessions and let him know... no?.. didn't take our calls?.. at the switchboard they said no, or like, said okay and later a no? No? Just no. Okay - they just said no. That's some white ice cold enough to become clear.

What if prisoners, who are American citizens, could vote? What if they could refuse to work? What if, and this is a stretch, being sent to prison wasn't the start of the end-game, but a new beginning? The net would, or could, be viewed as an investment.

It ain't university, next to the not criminal kids - see, that shit costs tens of grands for each not-criminal, which is...

http://thelawdictionary.org/article/wha ... in-prison/

http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/201605 ... -in-prison

What the shit are you guys doing with this money? That is serious tuition money.

You are spending this locking people up?

*throws towel*

Don't get me wrong - there are people who need to go down in a hole, and stay there. That isn't the vast majority of the population, in prison, or out.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:21 pm

I would probably do a complete 180 and enthusiastically support "inmate work programs" if the profits and/or savings thereof were invested in some program that (directly and tangibly) improved the prisoner's chance of complete rehabilitation and social productivity. Education programs have been proven to do exactly that, but "regular citizens" (kind of understandably) resent the hell out of being charged through the nose for something that's given away for free to people who break the law.

Perhaps if we framed it in terms of them being forced to work all day to pay for their degrees, people wouldn't keep letting vengeful spite get in the way of something that would actually make everyone's life better. As I mentioned before, such a program would have to be combined with an expansion of Ban the Box legislation, for reasons detailed in that post.

What's Canada like in regards to employment prospects for people with felony convictions? Here, it pretty much means Game Over unless you're willing to lie and able to get away with it. Of course, this makes it conveniently easy for posturing politicians and nasty-ass judges to view that lack of employment not as proof of any social bias, but as evidence that Ned the Crackhead is just a lazy "superpredator" who refuses to earn a living with anything but crime.

I'm in no way suggesting that prisoners be forced/allowed to lounge around all day and do nothing. Nobody wants to pay for them to attend online classes - not even part time - so making them "work it off" with unpaid labor would be a totally fair compromise between pampering them with freebies and working them like a pack of rented mules. It's very easy to regulate a prisoner's time, so break it up into 8 hours of work, 4 hours of study and instruction, 4 hours of recreation and miscellany, and then 8 to sleep.

Of course, none of this will ever happen without a major revolution because the people who benefit from prison labor have been made rich and powerful by the status quo, and they've used that wealth and power not to make society a better place, but to create more criminals and prisoners than any civilization has ever had in the history of the world while they hoard every dime in offshore tax havens.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Previous