Harvey Weinstein and Victim Blaming

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Harvey Weinstein and Victim Blaming

Postby tinyrick » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:23 pm

Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:After seeing recently that a show with Jeremy Piven had been canceled, I remembered that Jeremy Piven had been hit with accusations. Then, I'd been like "Wait, why do I feel like I already assumed he had a habit of sexually harasing women? Was it Entourage? It was probably Entourage."

I used to like Jeremy Piven back in the day cause a lot of his role made him seem like a total wingman. PCU. That short-lived show where he played Cupid. Not a lot of people knew who he was, so I thought it was cool when he got big parts like in Smokin' Aces. But looking back, it's not really that surprising that he did some creepo stuff. It fits the personality of that character he's been doing since all the way back in PCU. Of all the recent allegations, I'd put him at No. 2 as the least shocking. No. 1 least shocking is Andy Dick.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Katie-mhor » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:45 pm

Aquila89 wrote:
I can't just stop liking stuff that I like just because some people associated with it could, theoretically be sexual predators...

Look, if I stopped watching things that were “problematic” (to use a very overused word), I would have stopped watching Supernatural 12 years ago. But that being said, if it came out that Misha Collins was a sexual predator, I probably wouldn’t be able to watch it anymore, out of sheer grief.

As for Takei- I’m on the fence. Could be just some drunk early 80s groping, could have been a Bill Cosby type spike em and climb on situation. I just don’t know.

Katie-mhor
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:46 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby gisambards » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Two more big names who've been accused (although both deny it, and personally I don't find one or two denied accusations to be concrete proof so more investigation needs to be done before either of these guys should really be castigated):
Sylvester Stallone:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42023885
and Jeffrey Tambor:
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/nov/17/jeffrey-tambor-accused-of-sexual-misconduct-on-transparent-set

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Fun With Mr. Fudge » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:41 pm

I have mixed feelings about the Stallone allegations. He's accused of assaulting a16 year old girl, but the article doesn't specify whether he knew her age. She was a fan who received a key to his hotel room, went up there and, from what it sounds like, had sex with Stallone and his bodyguard willingly. From the BBC article:

She claimed a bodyguard gave her keys to a hotel room, where she later had sex with both men.

The officer wrote: "She said that after she got dressed, Stallone made the comment to her that they were both married men and that she could not tell anybody about the incident and if she did, that they would have to beat her head in."
Case dropped

A separate report from the sexual assault unit stated the men then laughed, "and she took it as a joke also", but after the alleged victim left the room she "became very distraught and frightened, and wasn't sure that that threat had been a joke after all".

It added that she said she was not physically forced to have intercourse but felt "intimidated".

I really wish it had clarified what she meant by feeling "intimidated." of course, that begs the question of whether she clarified. Did Stallone make a threat or behave in a menacing way? Was she simply intimidated because he was a star? Did she express that? I know it probably sounds awful for me to be asking these questions, and I don't want to blame the accuser for how she reacted, but this situation seems incredibly unclear. Even the bit about beating her was at first taken as a joke. She only decided after she left that it might not be.

I guess what I'm saying is, it seems entirely possible that Stallone had no idea that the accuser felt intimidated if they did have sex. I get that there may have been an inherent power disparity if one assumes fame gives a celebrity power over a fan, but I have no idea whether celebrities can tell the difference between someone going along with a behavior because they're scared or because they are star-struck and attracted to the celebrity. Granted, affirmative consent might resolve these things, but even then, if Stallone asked, and she said yes because she felt intimidated, then that potentially still creates a really muddy situation depending on why she felt intimidated (e.g. maybe the bodyguard behaved in a scary way). Hopefully more details will be released that clarifies these things.

Fun With Mr. Fudge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Jackbooted Hug

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:55 am

John Lasseter, chief creative officer of Pixar and Disney Animated Studios, went on a leave of absence yesterday, after being accused of sexual misconduct.

It is hard to overstate Lasseter's value to Disney. He is known as the genius behind Pixar films from Toy Story to Inside Out to Coco, opening Nov. 22. He took charge of Walt Disney Animation in 2006 and led a revival that included such gigantic hits as Frozen.

Sources say some women at Pixar knew to turn their heads quickly when encountering him to avoid his kisses. Some used a move they called "the Lasseter" to prevent their boss from putting his hands on their legs.

A longtime insider says he saw a woman seated next to Lasseter in a meeting that occurred more than 15 years ago. "She was bent over and [had her arm] across her thigh," he says. "The best I can describe it is as a defensive posture ... John had his hand on her knee, though, moving around." After that encounter, this person asked the woman about what he had seen. "She said it was unfortunate for her to wear a skirt that day and if she didn't have her hand on her own right leg, his hand would have traveled."

The same source said he once noticed an oddly cropped photo of Lasseter standing between two women at a company function. When he mentioned that to a colleague, he was told, "We had to crop it. Do you know where his hands were?"

God fucking damn it...

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:31 pm

e2c8619.jpg
e2c8619.jpg (218.7 KiB) Viewed 4754 times

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Cobra-D » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:15 pm

Aquila89 wrote:John Lasseter, chief creative officer of Pixar and Disney Animated Studios, went on a leave of absence yesterday, after being accused of sexual misconduct.

It is hard to overstate Lasseter's value to Disney. He is known as the genius behind Pixar films from Toy Story to Inside Out to Coco, opening Nov. 22. He took charge of Walt Disney Animation in 2006 and led a revival that included such gigantic hits as Frozen.

Sources say some women at Pixar knew to turn their heads quickly when encountering him to avoid his kisses. Some used a move they called "the Lasseter" to prevent their boss from putting his hands on their legs.

A longtime insider says he saw a woman seated next to Lasseter in a meeting that occurred more than 15 years ago. "She was bent over and [had her arm] across her thigh," he says. "The best I can describe it is as a defensive posture ... John had his hand on her knee, though, moving around." After that encounter, this person asked the woman about what he had seen. "She said it was unfortunate for her to wear a skirt that day and if she didn't have her hand on her own right leg, his hand would have traveled."

The same source said he once noticed an oddly cropped photo of Lasseter standing between two women at a company function. When he mentioned that to a colleague, he was told, "We had to crop it. Do you know where his hands were?"

God fucking damn it...

Dammit Lasseter this is like the second worst thing you've ever done, first being Cars 2 obviously.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby JamishT » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:02 am

Cobra-D wrote:Dammit Lasseter this is like the second worst thing you've ever done, first being Cars 2 obviously.

Do you mean Lassiter?

(I know Cobra got it right)

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:24 am

Evil autoplay in the following link:

Angela Lansbury keeps it old school.

For ever and ever as long as records have been kept the females have gone further down the slippery slope of lookin' hawt but risking rape. Now that the menfolk have seen their luminaries destroyed in the media they are all too fearful to do anything. This, this is the turning point in human history where the perv purge became necessary to stop the raping of women. Violence deterred infinitely by worry.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby SandTea » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:17 am

iMURDAu wrote:Evil autoplay in the following link:

The comments on that article are infuriating. I should know better but I do it anyway.

No one should ever blame a victim of assault

Plaease stop there. Please stop there. Please stop there.

BUT...

GODDAMNIT!

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Matt Lauer has been fired by NBC for sexual misconduct

Ann Curry must be dancing in the streets.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:12 pm

Boy, things are getting fast. One accusation, not even publicly, and he's out.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:07 pm

I have to assume that the allegations were serious and credible if they moved that quickly.

Also sacked for sexual misconduct today was Garrison Keillor, who I thought was already dead.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:11 am

I wonder if People magazine calling Matt Lauer the sexiest man alive somehow led him to believe everyone thought that was true.

I always wonder at work about who's going to be accused during my shift that I get to find out about afterwards. Garrison Keillor and Matt Lauer in the same day? That was pretty special. Fuck yo Infinity War trailer talk!

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

PreviousNext