Harvey Weinstein and Victim Blaming

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Harvey Weinstein and Victim Blaming

Postby reallifegirl » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:56 pm

Matt Lauer could lock his office door from his desk, according to Variety investigation

Among the startling allegations from the report are:

■ Lauer had a button installed underneath his desk that allowed him to lock his office door from the inside remotely, ensuring he would not be interrupted when allegedly making advances on women.

Well, that's not terrifying at all.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby Grimstone » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:34 am

phpBB [video]

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby tinyrick » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:30 am

iMURDAu wrote:Evil autoplay in the following link:

Angela Lansbury keeps it old school.

For ever and ever as long as records have been kept the females have gone further down the slippery slope of lookin' hawt but risking rape. Now that the menfolk have seen their luminaries destroyed in the media they are all too fearful to do anything. This, this is the turning point in human history where the perv purge became necessary to stop the raping of women. Violence deterred infinitely by worry.

Angela Lansbury is 92-years old so I just don't have the energy to be outraged by her comments. She should be held up as an example of just how much "women are getting assaulted for dressing like hussies" was drilled into the brain of earlier generations, including women, and why they shouldn't be judged too harshly. My late grandma used to watch "Murder She Wrote" when I came to visit, and I'd rather remember her for that when she dies in a couple years than some comment she made that would've been more acceptable when we were dropping nuclear bombs on Japan.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:56 am

Oh, yeah, the good old days. I've written about Pillow Talk on this forum; a Doris Day-Rock Hudson romantic comedy from 1959. Those films became the epitome of squareness later on. Yet in that film, Rock Hudson's character, a "ladies' man" has a switch in his apartment that locks the doors, just like the one Matt Lauer allegedly had in his office.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:18 pm

Aquila89 wrote:Oh, yeah, the good old days. I've written about Pillow Talk on this forum; a Doris Day-Rock Hudson romantic comedy from 1959. Those films became the epitome of squareness later on. Yet in that film, Rock Hudson's character, a "ladies' man" has a switch in his apartment that locks the doors, just like the one Matt Lauer allegedly had in his office.

At this time, it was cliche, in a movie, to have a man and a woman get into an argument while they get physically closer and closer until the man grabs her her and kisses her and she shows some resistance at first, but then melts into the kiss.

Is it any surprise that this was the most iconic image of our troops coming home:

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:52 am

I've heard that dude's wife was standing nearby grinning about the whole thing. I've always wondered how that woman felt about that moment. I really hope it was more flattering than traumatizing - disrespectful though it certainly was, I don't think the guy meant her any actual harm. Even still, that was boorish and wrong and could very easily (and quite rightly) get ya clobbered in the 'nads.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:59 am

Well, it still hasn't been definitely determined who were the people on the picture. An interesting thing though; you can't see the woman's legs in the cropped version tinyrick posted, but if you look at the whole picture, she raises one of her feet. That was also a movie trope at the time.

The picture was part of a series in Life magazine "The Men of War Kiss from Coast to Coast." I guess it would've been better if the picture from Miami became iconic, that shows a woman who clearly consented:

Last edited by Aquila89 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:16 am

DamianaRaven wrote:I've heard that dude's wife was standing nearby grinning about the whole thing. I've always wondered how that woman felt about that moment. I really hope it was more flattering than traumatizing - disrespectful though it certainly was, I don't think the guy meant her any actual harm. Even still, that was boorish and wrong and could very easily (and quite rightly) get ya clobbered in the 'nads.

His wife was only dating him at the time. He was super-drunk when he did this and she just thought it was funny.

As for the woman being kissed, Greta Zimmer Friedman, here's the interview if you're interested.

Things I took away from it:

1. She wasn't really traumatized by the event, but she clearly didn't enjoy it.

2. Time-Life asked her if she would re-create the kiss and she refused.

3. The interview closes with this:

Patricia Redmond:

And you and George are in touch still?
Greta Zimmer Friedman:

Once in a while. Well, we send each other Christmas cards. And he has a very lovely wife, and I've talked to her. But we're not friends who see each other, but through this happening, you know, we have something in common. And probably at Christmas we'll get in touch by sending cards again.

4. The woman was an immigrant from Austria. Given the culture of Austria at that time, I imagine she wasn't a very expressive woman as far as her feelings were concerned.

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:47 pm

Danny Masterson was fired from the Ranch. Took them long enough.

Bryan Singer was fired from directing Bohemian Rhapsody, a Freddie Mercury biopic. However, officially this has nothing to do with allegations of sexual misconduct; it's because he wouldn't show up for work.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:53 am

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:25 pm

I'm shocked that the only person I like so far in this is like, Charlie Sheen, who everyone knows is a drug addled psychopath.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Aquila89 wrote:Danny Masterson was fired from the Ranch. Took them long enough.

Bryan Singer was fired from directing Bohemian Rhapsody, a Freddie Mercury biopic. However, officially this has nothing to do with allegations of sexual misconduct; it's because he wouldn't show up for work.

Bryan Singer is now accused of sexual assaulting a minor in 2003.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:30 pm

Dustin Hoffman was first accused of sexual misconduct in November, when a woman who worked as an intern on the set of the TV adaptation of Death of a Salesman said that Hoffman groped her and constantly made lewd comments to her. She was 17 at the time. Hoffman was 48, and married with three little children.

Now, more women came forward with accusations. Playwright Cori Thomas says that Hoffman exposed himself to her in 1980, when she was 16. Actress Kathryn Rossetter says that Hoffman sexually harassed her during the Broadway run of Death of a Salesman. Another woman who withheld her name says that Hoffman masturbated before her in 1973, when she was 15.

And there is more, but isn't that enough?

By the way, in a 2004 Playboy interview, Hoffman said that he lost his virginity when he was 15, to his brother's girlfriend who was so drunk that she mistook him for his brother.

I went in. It was dark, and she said, "Is that you, Ronny?" I said yes, lying for fear that she'd reject me. I wasn't old enough to drive a car, so I thought maybe I wasn't old enough to drive a woman. I remember whistling because I wanted to appear relaxed as I was taking off my clothes. It was wonderful. I came quickly and kept humping and humping. I thought, Is that all there is? I kept waiting for the next fireworks. The humping went on for about 20 minutes until somebody opened the door. It was just like a movie: A shaft of light was thrown from the hallway onto my face, and she screamed because I wasn't my brother.

Yeah, they call that rape by deception. This story created no controversy at the time. He told it like a funny anecdote, and it was taken that way.

The only thing that gives me some hope that nearly all Hollywood people who were accused of sexual misconduct post-Weinstein are middle aged or older. Maybe the new generation is better. Maybe society did advance a bit.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:37 pm

James Franco now. There have been rumors about his behavior for a while. One of the woman in the article says she didn't have the option to say no to agreeing to a nude scene because she needed money, which sounds like nonsense. However another woman also accused him of rape.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Lindvaettr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:30 pm

“Hey James Franco, nice #timesup pin at the #GoldenGlobes, remember a few weeks ago when you told me the full nudity you had me do in two of your movies for $100/day wasn’t exploitative because I signed a contract to do it? Times up on that!”

Yes, that is how a contract works. If you don't want to do a nude scene, don't sign a contract saying you'll do a nude scene. If you can't get the part without doing the nude scene, or whatever, then don't get the part. This allegation is ridiculous.

“Remember the time you pushed my head down in a car towards your exposed penis & that other time you told my friend to come to your hotel when she was 17? After you had already been caught doing that to a different 17 year old?”

This one is more concerning, but apparently the person who said it, Violet Paley, has a history of lying about being pregnant to get people in trouble, or something. I read the tweets earlier, from some links in a reddit post, but I can't find the post right now and don't have time to go digging. That's not to say she must be lying about this because she lied about that, but I'll take it with a grain of salt until there's more concrete evidence.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

PreviousNext