Harvey Weinstein and Victim Blaming

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Harvey Weinstein and Victim Blaming

Postby tinyrick » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:42 pm

Recently, allegations of sexual abuse by Hollywood producer, Harvey Weinstein, have been making the news. It's the latest 'open secret' in Hollywood that finally came to light. Pretty much everyone is now coming out against him now that they have the chance without risking their career, but that's not what I'm writing about.

Since these allegations have come out, the Deplorables have been focusing 99% of their attention on Hollywood starlets that let Harvey touch them with his creepy hands than on Harvey himself. It's like, "Emma Watson is so feminist, but let's a creep like Harvey touch her to advance her career. What a whore!" Gee. I wonder why she's a feminist. Couldn't have anything to do with having to let a creep take creepy photos of her to advance her career, could it?

The whole thing is just, "Wow! Just WOW!" I don't think I really fully got the full extent of what victim blaming was until now because people have been misusing the term to promote clickbait articles, but this is just beyond words.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Re: Harvey Weinstein and Victim Blaming

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:51 pm

Yes, ALL women have put up with this EVERY time one of us is sexually abused in ANY way. If you tell more than three people about being molested/harassed/raped, at least one of them will start their retort with, "well, you shouldn't have..."

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby tinyrick » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:04 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:Yes, ALL women have put up with this EVERY time one of us is sexually abused in ANY way. If you tell more than three people about being molested/harassed/raped, at least one of them will start their retort with, "well, you shouldn't have..."

I'm suddenly having flashbacks of high school when I stopped flirting with a woman that seemingly liked me cause my friends told me she was crazy and likely to accuse me of rape.

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:22 pm

In hindsight, how do you feel about that decision? Are you like, "whew, I dodged a bullet," or more "maybe my friends were stupid assholes"?

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby D-LOGAN » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:34 pm

This Weinstein stuff inspired Terry Crews, the dude from Everybody Hates Chris, The Expendables, Brooklyn Nine-Nine etc. to come forward on twitter with his own story about being molested by a Hollywood exec:

This whole thing with Harvey Weinstein is giving me PTSD. Why? Because this kind of thing happened to ME.
My wife n I were at a Hollywood function last year n a high level Hollywood executive came over 2 me and groped my privates.
Jumping back I said What are you doing?! My wife saw everything n we looked at him like he was crazy. He just grinned like a jerk.
I was going to kick his ass right then— but I thought twice about how the whole thing would appear.
“240 lbs. Black Man stomps out Hollywood Honcho” would be the headline the next day.
Only I probably wouldn’t have been able to read it because I WOULD HAVE BEEN IN JAIL. So we left.
That night and the next day I talked to everyone I knew that worked with him about what happened.
He called me the next day with an apology but never really explained why he did what he did.
I decided not 2 take it further becuz I didn’t want 2b ostracized— par 4 the course when the predator has power n influence.
I let it go. And I understand why many women who this happens to let it go.
Who’s going 2 believe you? ( few) What r the repercussions?(many) Do u want 2 work again? (Yes) R you prepared 2b ostracized?(No)
I love what I do. But it’s a shame and the height of disappointment when someone tries to takes advantage of that.
He knows who he is. But sumtimes Uhav2 wait & compare notes w/ others who’ve been victimized in order 2gain a position of strength.
Hollywood is not the only business we’re this happens, and to the casualties of this behavior— you are not alone.
I understand and empathize with those who have remained silent. But Harvey Weinstein is not the only perpetrator.
Hopefully, me coming forward with my story will deter a predator and encourage someone who feels hopeless.

Being a victim of sexual abuse and being worried about being believed is not a gendered issue.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:06 pm

It's surprising how quickly he went down. The Times article was published in October 5. Weinstein admitted some guilt, but also threatened to sue. On October 7, his lawyer quit. On October 8, he was fired from his own company. Some stars who worked with him condemned him, others said nothing, but nobody in Hollywood uttered a word in his defense. Yesterday, his wife left him. He went from king to leper within a week. Compare this with Bill Cosby. Or Bill O'Reilly. Or Trump.

tinyrick wrote: It's like, "Emma Watson is so feminist, but let's a creep like Harvey touch her to advance her career. What a whore!" Gee. I wonder why she's a feminist. Couldn't have anything to do with having to let a creep take creepy photos of her to advance her career, could it?

Or maybe nothing bad happened between her and Weinstein; even he didn't molest every woman he met. There's the issue though. I don't blame the victims. But what about the stars who worked with him, weren't harassed by him, but heard the rumors that others were? Aren't they complicit to some degree? People say that it was an open secret that he does this. Some of the actors who worked for him (like Meryl Streep) say that they heard nothing. Others like Kate Winslet and Glenn Close admit that they heard the rumors but didn't believe him. That's possible; to quote Simon and Garfunkel "all lies and jests / still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Last edited by Aquila89 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Cordslash » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:35 pm

Apparently our dear Lindsay Lohan is both defending the guy, and asking his wife to stay with him.

While I have little doubt that Georgina probably knew about at least some of his "indiscretions" and is probably trying to save her own career, this seems like a bit much from Lohan.

After all it's been 50 years since Tammy Wynette's solution to problems was to stand by her man.

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby NoodleFox » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Hollywood is full of degenerate rat kings whose rats attached to it keep their mouths shut about the sexual assault while they cash in their royalty checks. So I'm not surprised by this revelation.

They crack jokes about the kings; "Oh, Uncle Harvey is such an eccentric old geezer! He was born during a different time, don't worry about him grabbing your ass the party's out back!"
Lololol Seth McFarlane make funneh joek so you all laugh too if you want to keep your hush money!

And they're the ones calling others deplorable people? Oh gee whiz Hillary, where'd all that money come from?

DELETE HIM FROM FUCKING EVERYTHING, WE GOTTA LESSEN THE STORM OF SHIT

I'm just waiting with bated breath to see if this becomes something more and the whole dumpster full of these kings is set on fire.

On topic, this is fucking Hollywood, so when you got child actors claiming that Hollywood is a "nest of vipers", and these degenerate scandals blow up, I'm more inclined to believe victims in the business - you don't try and make shit up about one of the most powerful industries on the planet, they'd no sooner "take you out back" than to have any stains on the silver screen.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/22/hollywood-in-the-grip-of-child-abuse-scandal-similar-to-jimmy-sa/

NoodleFox
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Third Person Facepalm-er

Postby D-LOGAN » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:12 pm

Well the ball's rolling now. Ben Affleck a long time associate of Weinstein came out with this statement-

“I am saddened and angry that a man who I worked with used his position of power to intimidate, sexually harass and manipulate many women over decades. The additional allegations of assault that I read this morning made me sick. This is completely unacceptable, and I find myself asking what I can do to make sure this doesn’t happen to others. We need to do better at protecting our sisters, friends, co-workers and daughters. We must support those who come forward, condemn this type of behavior when we see it and help ensure there are more women in positions of power.”

Which prompted some people to take swipes at Affleck on twitter, which lead to someone to respond about him-

'He also grabbed Hilarie Burton's breasts on TRL once. Everyone forgot though.'

Only for the actress Hilarie Burton herself to respond-

'I didn't forget.'

As this article from The Mirror states:

The incident reportedly happened when he appeared on the show in 2003. Burton was 21.
A video clip from the show shows Affleck telling Burton a story mid-interview which appears to be about moves men use to pick up women.
He leans his arm around the young host who is wearing a yellow bandeau dress. No groping is seen on camera but Burton noticeably jumps and looks shocked on the footage as Affleck smiles and returns to his seat.
Speaking further about the incident, Hilarie thanked the Twitter user, writing: 'I was a kid...Girls. I’m so impressed with you brave ones. I had to laugh back then so I wouldn’t cry. Sending love.'
She then tweeted a clip from an interview she did taking fans behind the scenes at TRL. In it she relives and laughs off the incident.
'He wraps his arm around me and comes over and tweaks my left boob,' she says.

Also Rose McGowan who has come forward with allegations against herself, has stated that in spite of what Batman says now, Affleck knew of what had been going on-

Earlier on Tuesday Rose McGowan harshly criticized Affleck on Twitter - even going to far as to call him a liar.
She tweeted: '@benaffleck "GODD*MNIT! I TOLD HIM TO STOP DOING THAT" you said that to my face. The press conf I was made to go to after assault. You lie.'
The actress, was allegedly assaulted by Weinstein in 1997 and has been crusading against silence over Weinstein's grim past, and was the first of many to point out the 45-year-old actor's claims to obliviousness.

Affleck has since publicly apologised to Burton.

Hollywood man.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:24 pm

It's not just Hollywood. Sexual harassment happens in every industry. Every industry has its Weinsteins.

NoodleFox wrote: you don't try and make shit up about one of the most powerful industries on the planet, they'd no sooner "take you out back" than to have any stains on the silver screen.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/22/hollywood-in-the-grip-of-child-abuse-scandal-similar-to-jimmy-sa/

It's not even remotely one of the most powerful industries. Where are they compared to the oil industry? Other fossil fuels? Cars? Electronics? Finance? Look at the 35 largest companies by revenue. Not one of them is an entertainment company.

NoodleFox wrote:They crack jokes about the kings; "Oh, Uncle Harvey is such an eccentric old geezer! He was born during a different time, don't worry about him grabbing your ass the party's out back!"
Lololol Seth McFarlane make funneh joek so you all laugh too if you want to keep your hush money!

MacFarlene says he made that joke because Jessica Barth, who was his co-star in Ted told him that Weinstein harassed her. Barth praised him for doing it.

Cordslash wrote:Apparently our dear Lindsay Lohan is both defending the guy, and asking his wife to stay with him.

Well, I said that nobody in Hollywood is defending him but that kind of even worse.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:04 pm

Yo.... those casting couch videos.... are based in reality?

But I do like how this is being politicized by Fox News. Every registered democrat needs to publicly denounce Harvey Weinstein or else! Yeah we're supposed to believe that politicians give a fuck who give them money. It's a problem if a creep from Hollywood gives money but it's not a problem if a creep from idk literally any other industry does the same thing. Got it!

There's creeps everywhere. The issue isn't Hollywood being corrupt and finally exposed for it. The issue is that a fucking New Yorker piece that got rejected by NBC had to be the shot that killed the beast. And it's only newsworthy because you've seen that fuckers name attached to a lot of great films. The local creepass at your local business gets away with it and doesn't worry about being exposed because these things can be hard to prove. Especially at a local level where influence can be bought at a much lower price.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:11 pm

iMURDAu wrote:But I do like how this is being politicized by Fox News. Every registered democrat needs to publicly denounce Harvey Weinstein or else!

Fox News, formerly ran by Roger Ailes, former employer of Bill O'Reilly and Eric Bolling, current huge supporter of Donald Trump...

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NoodleFox » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:11 am

D-LOGAN wrote:Well the ball's rolling now. Ben Affleck a long time associate of Weinstein-

*Me, before reading the rest of the post:* Lemme guess - he's going to condone the behavior but in actuality he's just saying that so no one will go looking through his trash to find the same sort of behavior, right?

'He also grabbed Hilarie Burton's breasts on TRL once. Everyone forgot though.'

When you usually swing and miss with predicting outcomes-
Spoiler: show

NoodleFox
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Third Person Facepalm-er

Postby Krashlia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:44 am

DamianaRaven wrote:Yes, ALL women have put up with this EVERY time one of us is sexually abused in ANY way. If you tell more than three people about being molested/harassed/raped, at least one of them will start their retort with, "well, you shouldn't have..."

You'd think, given their antipathy towards Hollywood and Hollywood elites (for which, alone, I don't really blame them), they'd jump at the chance to burn such creeps at the stake.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:43 am

DamianaRaven wrote:In hindsight, how do you feel about that decision? Are you like, "whew, I dodged a bullet," or more "maybe my friends were stupid assholes"?

If my friends are stupid assholes, then I'm a stupid asshole as well cause we're all guilty of the same thing. Believing stupid small town rumors. I'd chalk this up to youthful ignorance more than anything else. The asshole in this situation is the guy that started the rumor in the first place whose been in jail since then. Can you guess what the reason is?

And I do regret the decision. Last time I checked up on her, she's married with kids.

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Next