Harvey Weinstein and Victim Blaming

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Harvey Weinstein and Victim Blaming

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:47 pm

In the upcoming Ridley Scott film All the Money in the World, Kevin Spacey played oil magnate J. Paul Getty. However, after the scandal, all of his scenes will be reshot with Christopher Plummer playing the role instead. An odd choice, given that Plummer is English and 30 years older than Spacey. Will he also replace Spacey in House of Cards?

Terry Crews filed a report to the LAPD about the time he was sexually harassed.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:59 pm

Aquila89 wrote:In the upcoming Ridley Scott film All the Money in the World, Kevin Spacey played oil magnate J. Paul Getty. However, after the scandal, all of his scenes will be reshot with Christopher Plummer playing the role instead. An odd choice, given that Plummer is English and 30 years older than Spacey. Will he also replace Spacey in House of Cards?

Probably not, but can we, as a society accept different actors playing the same roles? We can do it with James Bond and we can do it with Jack Ryan and we can do it with the Doctor. The only reason actors are protected by their fame is cause we, as a people, can't accept anyone else playing THAT role. I say FUCK IT. If I find out that Robert Downey, Jr. fucked a 14 year old girl, I'm not going to lament about how Iron Man was better with Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man. I'm just going to accept the new Iron Man.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:24 pm

tinyrick wrote: The only reason actors are protected by their fame is cause we, as a people, can't accept anyone else playing THAT role.

Is it? I mean, Spacey apparently harassed young men before he was in House of Cards. Back then, he wasn't associated with one particular role, and yet he got away with it.

As for the MCU, they already recast the Hulk and James Rhodes (though not because of sexual misconduct) so they would probably recast others too, if needed.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:13 pm

cb2c800.jpg
cb2c800.jpg (63.77 KiB) Viewed 4368 times

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:18 pm

People to add to the Hollywood Shame List (TM):

1. Steven Seagal (sexual harassment and arrogant dick waving)
2. Louie CK (sexual harassment and srsly dude no one wants to see you jack it)

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby AboveGL » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:33 pm

I always thought Seagal was already well-known for being a disgusting letch as well as a bullshitter? I guess we're not reserving the shame list for those whom we've only just learned of their shittiness.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:57 am

sunglasses wrote:People to add to the Hollywood Shame List (TM):

1. Steven Seagal (sexual harassment and arrogant dick waving)

Soooooo thatttttt explains why George Foreman challenged him to a fight.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:10 am

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby tinyrick » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:32 am

AboveGL wrote:I always thought Seagal was already well-known for being a disgusting letch as well as a bullshitter? I guess we're not reserving the shame list for those whom we've only just learned of their shittiness.

Well Andy Dick was dropped from a project for sexual misconduct, and that's got to be the least shocking celebrity sexual misconduct scandal of all time.

Mariah Carey is accused of sexual harassment. Just a gentle reminder that women can do this too. Although, I can't help but have that thought, "hurr hurr wish she'd sexually harass me" that all guys have that makes it really difficult for male victims to come forward.

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:44 am

tinyrick wrote:
AboveGL wrote:I always thought Seagal was already well-known for being a disgusting letch as well as a bullshitter? I guess we're not reserving the shame list for those whom we've only just learned of their shittiness.

Well Andy Dick was dropped from a project for sexual misconduct, and that's got to be the least shocking celebrity sexual misconduct scandal of all time.

Mariah Carey is accused of sexual harassment. Just a gentle reminder that women can do this too. Although, I can't help but have that thought, "hurr hurr wish she'd sexually harass me" that all guys have that makes it really difficult for male victims to come forward.

Hopefully more male victims come forward, the fact that male sexual harassment can still be joked about (eg, that film horrible bosses) while sexual harassment to women would get you lynched is something which annoys me and that I hope is at least addressed as an actual problem.

Spoiler: show
There's more to it Since there was not only sexual harassment but it sounds like allegedly she was also being racist, declaring them Nazi's/KKK members and presumably saying she wanted to be surrounded by black guys and not white (in which case why the hell didn't she just hire a black only security company?). And also screwed them over $200,000 which is a hell of a lot of money (not for her though since she is loaded).

But I guess that's a topic for another thread since this is for sexual harassment right?

Last edited by DoglovingJim on Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby reallifegirl » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:54 am

Well, fuck.

The newest celebrity to be accused is George Takei.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby tinyrick » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:06 am

reallifegirl wrote:Well, fuck.

Godammit! Ok. *prays to God* Please not Tom Hanks. Please not Keanu Reeves. Please not Ryan Reynolds.

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:37 am

2017: The Year Fandom Died

I said it in the Louis CK thread. I'm not a fan of anyone anymore. Maybe not of anything. I mean yeah that thing you enjoy so much is great now but once we all find out the dark truth, ick. Ugh.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Aquila89 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:52 am

reallifegirl wrote:Well, fuck.

He kind of admitted it already a month ago on Howard Stern.

iMURDAu wrote:I said it in the Louis CK thread. I'm not a fan of anyone anymore. Maybe not of anything. I mean yeah that thing you enjoy so much is great now but once we all find out the dark truth, ick. Ugh.

What about women? No woman was accused so far. Can I be a fan of actresses?

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Mariah Carey, two posts above you.

Also, thankfully George Takei has long ago decided to live life as a Gay man, so it's OK.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

PreviousNext