Felony Charges for Knowingly Giving Someone HIV-

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Felony Charges for Knowingly Giving Someone HIV-

Postby sunglasses » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:25 am

Shrooms- my understanding of the law is that you have to intentionally and maliciously infect others. Not cases of you didn't know.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:14 am

How do we keep these (very reasonable) laws from providing a disincentive to get tested? If I were the kind of human garbage that didn't care about spreading disease and only wanted to have my fun and get away with it, then why would I ever want to get tested? Obviously, for my own health and safety, but remember that in this scenario, I'm a fucking idiot who just wants to have all the sex and none of the responsibilities or consequences! Plus, I only sleep with people who look healthy (unless I'm really, really drunk - in which case, the alcohol will kill any infection) so I'm sure I'll be just fine.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby sunglasses » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:53 am

But they aren't a reason not to get tested.

It's only a reason not to get tested of you plan on deliberately infecting as many people as possible because fuck it I'm infected now you are too.

Like, that's literally why we have these laws. Vindictive people.

These laws were never meant for the people who think they're magically immune to stds and never get tested.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:19 am

sunglasses wrote:These laws were never meant for the people who think they're magically immune to stds and never get tested.

Well, what (if anything) can we do with those dipshits? I'm sure they're spreading every bit as much disease as the vindictive fuckwits.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby LegionofShrooms » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:47 am

sunglasses wrote:Shrooms- my understanding of the law is that you have to intentionally and maliciously infect others. Not cases of you didn't know.

Those are not the only two options though-which I discussed in my last post.

There are also those that may not set out to maliciously infect others, but are knowingly infected themselves and don't take proper precautions such as practicing safe sex or disclosing their disease to their partner.

Hence why I think such actions would warrant a lesser (but still significant) charge of reckless endangerment, rather than a more severe one like criminally negligent manslaughter (for those where malicious intent can be proven).

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby sunglasses » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:09 pm

LegionofShrooms wrote:
sunglasses wrote:Shrooms- my understanding of the law is that you have to intentionally and maliciously infect others.

There are also those that may not set out to maliciously infect others, but are knowingly infected themselves and don't take proper precautions such as practicing safe sex or disclosing their disease to their partner.

Hence why I think such actions would warrant a lesser (but still significant) charge of reckless endangerment, rather than a more severe one like criminally negligent manslaughter (for those where malicious intent can be proven).

I'm sorry, but to me such willfull neglect is deliberate.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:07 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:
sunglasses wrote:These laws were never meant for the people who think they're magically immune to stds and never get tested.

Well, what (if anything) can we do with those dipshits? I'm sure they're spreading every bit as much disease as the vindictive fuckwits.

At some point, and exactly where is something difficult to determine, the act of infecting others because you were too naive, stupid, or arrogant to get tested is no longer an excuse. If, for example, you had sex with someone known to have HIV, didn't get tested yourself, and then ultimately infected someone else with your undiagnosed HIV, I would personally consider that to be somewhere in the realm of criminal negligence. The person in question could, I think, be reasonably assumed to understand the potential consequences (though they believed those consequences didn't apply to them and, by extension, their now-infected partner), making the negligence criminal rather than reckless and gross negligence.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Of course some people just have to be assholes about it!

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:20 pm

Hnnnng.

Here's the thing: As far as diseases go, HIV isn't that infectious-it's a fragile virus that dies within 30 seconds of being exposed to air. It can only survive inside blood and certain body fluids (not sweat or spit). There's no reason to quarantine people.

Things that are more infectious than HIV:

1. Hepatitis A, B, and C
2. The flu
3. Chickenpox
4. C. diff
5. TB
6. HPV
7. Cholera

I could go on, but I think y'all get the idea

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:52 pm

What's "C. diff" and how is it transmitted?

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:56 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:What's "C. diff" and how is it transmitted?

It stands for Clostridium Difficile, from NHS choices:

How you get C. difficile
C. difficile bacteria are found in the digestive system of about 1 in every 30 healthy adults. The bacteria often live harmlessly because the other bacteria normally found in the bowel keep it under control.
However, some antibiotics can interfere with the balance of bacteria in the bowel, which can cause the C. difficile bacteria to multiply and produce toxins that make the person ill.
When this happens, C. difficile can spread easily to other people because the bacteria are passed out of the body in the person's diarrhoea.
Once out of the body, the bacteria turn into resistant cells called spores. These can survive for long periods on hands, surfaces (such as toilets), objects and clothing unless they're thoroughly cleaned, and can infect someone else if they get into their mouth.
Someone with a C. difficile infection is generally considered to be infectious until at least 48 hours after their symptoms have cleared up.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:44 pm

phpBB [video]

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:00 am

Just saw a case in Italy wherin the powers that be took a different approach-

Italian handed 24 years in jail for infecting 30 women with HIV
The male companions of three of the women were also infected, as was the baby of a fourth.

-Under the pseudonym “Hearty Style”, 33-year-old accountant Valentino Talluto seduced dozens of young women on social networks and internet dating sites, often dating several at a time.

-Throughout the trial, which opened in March in Rome’s Rebibbia prison, the women described how Talluto had wined and dined them, claiming to fall in love before persuading them to have unprotected sex.
The women who had asked him to wear a condom said he told them he was allergic or had just been tested for HIV.
When the women discovered they were HIV positive – by chance, due to health problems or after other women he dated raised the alarm – they said he said it had nothing to do with him.

-The defence maintains Talluto’s actions were “imprudent, but not intentional”.

-Many of Talluto’s victims were students, some mothers. The youngest was 14 at the beginning of their relationship, the oldest around 40. Each described the horrors of HIV, from the stigma which distanced even family members, to the trials of treatment.

-Prosecutor Elena Neri told the court last month:
Talluto has never cooperated, he has made false statements, he has always denied any responsibility, even in the face of the evidence.

Picked the wrong country to do that shit in Talluto.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby sunglasses » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:52 pm

Meanwhile, in the UK,

Daryll Rowe, 27, was convicted of five counts of grievous bodily harm with intent, and a further five counts of attempted GBH, following a trial at Lewes crown court.

The prosecution said Rowe went on a “campaign” in the Brighton area to infect as many men as possible during a four-month period from October 2015, and warned that there might be further victims.

The court heard that Rowe repeatedly sabotaged condoms, and then mocked victims saying that he was “riddled” with the virus after they raised concerns. One man said that Rowe was “laughing” when he called, adding: “Burn. I got you.”

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:49 am

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

PreviousNext