Democratic Primary 2020

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Democratic Primary 2020

Postby gisambards » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:32 pm

I don't think I agree with the bed of nails thing, for the most part. But I think it does make sense (and I think this is certainly the case with Trump) that someone who is more scandal-prone thus has much more experience talking their way out of them, and thus a scandal that could bring them down would have to be bigger than it otherwise might be, and also leading on from that, someone who is not that scandal-prone will be less likely to know what to do when one comes up.

But I also think a key part of that would be that it's not just being accused of things, it's actually having to deal with them. And I think that might be something that could hurt Sanders - he's never really been called out on a lot of these potential scandals, so I think actually all of that stuff coming out at once would probably hurt him at once.

There's also the question of how prepared someone is to deal with scandal. I think in 2016 something that hurt Clinton was less the scandals inherently and more that she wasn't prepared for them (partly because a lot of them were bullshit), whereas Trump knew the things he'd done and thus what he'd be accused of and thus how to talk his way out of it. As an example in the upcoming election, I think the Harris nepotism sex story has been floating around long enough that she will have prepared a response for if and when it comes up (and if she actually hasn't, that lack of aforethought would be more of a deal-breaker for me than the scandal itself). Lastly, some people might just be really piss-poor at dealing with scandals and elongate their time in the public sphere and somehow make them even more embarrassing entirely on their own (I'm referring, of course, to Elizabeth Warren, who seems absolutely determined to remind everyone as much as possible about that time she pretended to be Native American).

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:54 pm

cmsellers wrote:There's two major components to the Kamala Harris thing: nepotism and sex. The sex bit has two components: she used her body to get ahead, which is anti-feminist, and she committed adultery. I think that in the #metoo era, she's more likely to be seen as a victim in this regard than a perpetrator, and people care a lot less about adultery than they did, so I don't think the sex aspect will harm her much but am not certain. The nepotism is more problematic, because her first two jobs launched her career. It's entirely possible she wouldn't be where she is without that boost, which makes it still potentially relevant. But again, I think that will ultimately matter here is how she handles it when it comes up.

Adultery and nepotism? Does she grab them by the dick and are her children going to have top security clearance in her administration? I don't believe those should be issues considering who the Republican candidate is.

Key words: I don't believe.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Crimson847 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:18 am

Some worrying details are starting to dribble out about Klobuchar.

https://news.yahoo.com/amy-klobuchar-ne ... 13668.html

She has been known to grow irate at staffers who find work elsewhere, calling their new employers to have the offers rescinded. The practice, which three former staffers for Klobuchar described and one other Capitol Hill veteran confirmed, was seen as vindictive, mystifying and counterproductive. It was also a sign of how far Klobuchar would go to punish those who she thought betrayed her.

Still nobody willing to go on the record, but the stories are getting worse.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Windy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:30 am

What's the point everyone knows the president only alternates every 8 years not 4

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Previous