Democratic Primary 2020

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Democratic Primary 2020

Postby gisambards » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:04 pm

Swalwell has become first to drop out of the race, not that anyone would have noticed.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:48 pm

I read an article somewhere speculating that he was only running to raise his profile so he can run for Senate when Kamala Harris moves into 1600 Penn.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby JamishT » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:30 am

cmsellers wrote:I read an article somewhere speculating that he was only running to raise his profile so he can run for Senate when Kamala Harris moves into 1600 Penn.

For some reason I had it in mind that he was from the MidWest, take that as you will.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:41 pm

He is from Sac City, Iowa, but moved to California at some point and has represented Freemont and Union City since 2013.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Crimson847 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:48 am

gisambards wrote:Swalwell has become first to drop out of the race, not that anyone would have noticed.

Nobody likes him? Yes!
Drops out early after landing one good hit on the up-and-coming young talent? Yes!
Is creepily submissive toward the frontrunner? No!

Eric Swalwell's Chris Christie score: 2/3

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:27 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:55 am

He didn't make the cut, but here's the line up anyway:

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:29 am

I'm going way out on a limb and suggesting that any system which gives Marianne Williamson a second chance to crazy up the debate is probably not the best way for the DNC to go.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:03 am

This round seems a little more balanced, I don't see a "kiddie table" night, which is nice. It'll be interesting to see Williamson outcrazy Bernie and Beto though.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:08 am

Honestly, I think Democrats should have prioritized unique donors to a greater degree than they did, making number of unique donors first tiebreaker, and that would have favored Williamson being in even more. Unique donors gives you the candidates with actual support probably more than 1-2% in the polls, which is noise at that level (Williamson and Yang both met that threshold too, as did a lot of conventional candidates who are getting no actual traction), but it also gives outsize weight to the candidates preferred by the affluent and well-educated (Buttigieg) and the candidates favored by the crackpots and trolls (Williamson, Yang, Gravel).

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:25 pm

Do any of you guys have any opinions about Joe Sestak? A guy I went to school with who has a life full of yuppie success, moving from excellent job to excellent job while I fail astoundingly at everything is now working on Joe Sestak's campaign. He's a Democrat and seems like a perfectly sound but un-newsworthy guy. Is that accurate? He have something about him that's interesting.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby Absentia » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:22 pm

Pedgerow wrote:Do any of you guys have any opinions about Joe Sestak? A guy I went to school with who has a life full of yuppie success, moving from excellent job to excellent job while I fail astoundingly at everything is now working on Joe Sestak's campaign. He's a Democrat and seems like a perfectly sound but un-newsworthy guy. Is that accurate? He have something about him that's interesting.

I don't think I'd ever heard of him before your post. Apparently he's a real guy, a former Representative from Pennsylvania who unsuccessfully ran for Senate a couple of times (he's the guy who primaried Arlen Specter), and an officially registered presidential candidate. But he hasn't appeared in any polls and his visibility seems to be zero.

Going by his Wikipedia page, he seems to be a pretty standard liberal-but-not-too-liberal Democrat with a distinguished military record, so I'd say "perfectly sound but un-newsworthy" is an accurate assessment.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:47 pm

I liked Specter, and was pissed about his loss. That said, in Sestak's defense, he was already running for Senate when Specter switched parties. In continuing to run, and ousting Specter in the primary, he cost the Democrats that seat. But 2012 wasn't a particularly GOP-leaning year; if you wanted to replace Specter with new blood, that was probably the time to do it. Unfortunately for the Democrats, the new blood that replaced him was the odious Pat Toomey.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:11 pm

Well, John Delaney has finally found a way to distinguish himself from the pack.

Congratulations, Mr. Delaney, you are the only Democrat who would make me consider voting for Trump if you're the nominee.

Mandatory national service is a policy I find so absolutely terrifying that I feel it needs to be shut down at any cost. If Delaney somehow became the nominee with this idea (and thank Darwin that won't happen), I would feel like the conservatives who called beating Hillary the "Flight 93 election."

Moreover, I find the idea of national service so repugnant that if Delaney were elected and successfully implemented it, I would emigrate and renounce my US citizenship the moment I had a second citizenship. National service wouldn't apply to me, but it's such an overly fascistic move that I'd want to get out of the US and American citizenship while it's still possible to renounce it.

Unlike people who threaten to move to Canada if their opponent wins, or me when I said I'd join the Texas secessionists if Trump wins (a joke I half-fulfilled anyways), I have a pretty good idea of what it would take for me to successfully move abroad permanently, and I absolutely mean it. The day the US instates compulsory national service is the day I begin my efforts to become not-American.

Fortunately, this idea comes up from middle aged Democratic men from time-to-time and never goes anywhere, and the fact it's John Delaney tells me it won't this time either, but every time it comes up, I'm absolutely horrified.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:32 pm

Drafting people to go kill foreigners and/or get shot at? eh, not good but tolerable

Drafting people to go build solar panels and counsel addicts? SPLIT YOUR LUNGS WITH BLOOD AND THUNDER, FASCISM COMETH

I agree with most of the practical criticisms of national service, at least to a degree. That said, the Vietnam War draft was by any measure a far worse imposition on the liberties of young Americans for far lesser purpose than this would be. So writing off the US as a lost cause if national service happens is hard to understand.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext