Democratic Primary 2020

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Democratic Primary 2020

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:23 am

Marianne Williamson is essentially the perpetually stoned wasteland elder who speaks in riddles from any work of post-apocalyptic fiction

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby JamishT » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:50 am

On the first night, I noticed Booker seemed to be focused on fixing the problems in Central America while the others were focused on decriminalizing those who come here. I also noticed Tim Ryan, and not because Tulsi "Assad Is A-OK" Gabbard caught him making a gaffe, but because his whole attitude felt very familiar. Is it because he's from Ohio, where I grew up? Maybe! But I also vibed with John Delany in a similar way, so IDK. The others didn't really change much for me, and that's good only for Klobuchar (because I love her, even though I don't know why). I also noticed that no one really had a plan to deal with Cocaine Mitch if he keeps his position as Majority Leader. Not even Elizabeth "I have a plan" Warren.

The second night had me noticing that Michael Bennett and Eric Swalwell are insufferable, and I wish I could watch Mayor Pete beat the snot out of Swalwell for trying to tell him how to deal with his situation in South Bend. Bernie was just Bernie, which to me is just a lot of talk about implausible plans. Kamala Harris shot Joe Biden on stage which was neat, and Swalwell landed a pretty good punch on him as well. Mayor Pete seemed to be his well spoken, smart self, and I really liked his ownership of the situation in South Bend (and I think he's handling it just fine). Yang has an interesting idea, but it's so far outside of the norm that he'll need to hang on until there's a smaller debate where he can talk more. Hickenlooper was...there. And there was also a cult leader there.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:16 am

JamishT wrote: Yang has an interesting idea, but it's so far outside of the norm that he'll need to hang on until there's a smaller debate where he can talk more.

I don't think a smaller debate would be all that much help to Yang when all he has is a UBI hammer. It was even his solution to climate change, as opposed to any substantial policy.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:21 pm

Btw. I ultimately support Medicare for All. I just don't think I'll ever see happen in the next 20 years.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:27 pm

Now that we have all been temporarily reminded of Eric Swalwell's existence, I would like to share this clip from an earlier speech he gave, in which we see what a failed soundbite looks like:

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:30 pm

What the hell does Freemont see in this guy?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:58 pm

gisambards wrote:Now that we have all been temporarily reminded of Eric Swalwell's existence, I would like to share this clip from an earlier speech he gave, in which we see what a failed soundbite looks like:

When Jeb Bush asked the audience, "please clap", they actually clapped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdCYMvaUcrA

It wasn't nearly the pathetic false soundbite everyone thought it was. Eric Swalwell is still a nobody though.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:27 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:What the hell does Freemont see in this guy?

I voted for John Delaney so why are you asking me?

Oh, who was his last opponent? The Republicans keep trotting out Amie Hoeber to get slaughtered here. I wasn't enamored with Delaney. David Trone isn't exactly impressive either. So expect him to run for POTUS in the future too.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Krashlia » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:30 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Yang shouldn't win. His platform includes a Social Credit system, and I don't care how benevolent it is, any candidate with a policy platform that includes a Social Credit System is basically promising to drag us into some sort of hell.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:31 pm

All you need to know about Eric Swalwell is that he's polling dead last in a field that includes an anti-vax self-help guru, an Assad supporter, and a man whose most notable accomplishment is accidentally killing a groundhog during a photo op.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:55 pm

Absentia wrote:All you need to know about Eric Swalwell is that he's polling dead last in a field that includes an anti-vax self-help guru, an Assad supporter, and a man whose most notable accomplishment is accidentally killing a groundhog during a photo op.

And John Delaney. I'm impressed that he's managing to do worse than the Martin O'Malley of 2019.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby gisambards » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:18 pm

I think what's happened to Swalwell is that he's fallen into the unfortunate trap of being the actual most forgettable candidate, whereas Williamson's weird, Gabbard's controversial, de Blasio holds a well-known office, and John Delaney has fallen into the same weird spot as Delaware among US states or Andorra among European countries where he's become fairly well-known as "the most forgettable" candidate.

EDIT: I have done poor Eric Swalwell a disservice with the above statement because there is definitely a more forgettable candidate. I literally just found out that there was a man named Tim Ryan onstage one of the two nights, who I have genuinely never heard of before, and who I don't remember factoring into any of the coverage I saw. So instead, Swalwell is in the unfortunate position of being the most forgettable candidate who is still memorable enough that we remember we previously forgot who he was.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:35 am

I know Tim Ryan because he was considered an up-and-coming star of the Democratic Party.
Then he tried to take the Speakership from Nancy Pelosi.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:58 pm

He also considered backing noted Blue Dog homophobe Marcia Fudge for speaker.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:56 am

gisambards wrote:I think what's happened to Swalwell is that he's fallen into the unfortunate trap of being the actual most forgettable candidate, whereas Williamson's weird, Gabbard's controversial, de Blasio holds a well-known office, and John Delaney has fallen into the same weird spot as Delaware among US states or Andorra among European countries where he's become fairly well-known as "the most forgettable" candidate.

EDIT: I have done poor Eric Swalwell a disservice with the above statement because there is definitely a more forgettable candidate. I literally just found out that there was a man named Tim Ryan onstage one of the two nights, who I have genuinely never heard of before, and who I don't remember factoring into any of the coverage I saw. So instead, Swalwell is in the unfortunate position of being the most forgettable candidate who is still memorable enough that we remember we previously forgot who he was.

Swalwell has fallen into the trap of being the candidate nobody (and I mean nobody) likes. Even Tim Ryan has a few fans among more centrist Democrats who think Biden's too old and Buttigieg too young; Swalwell on the other hand seems to annoy literally everybody.

But yeah, it's funny how there's always a candidate who perversely becomes well-known as the most unknown, like George Pataki in 2016.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext