Police "Arrest" Nurse For Refusing to Break the Law

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Police "Arrest" Nurse For Refusing to Break the Law

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:05 pm

Then it sounds like the "good cops" need to band together and GET RID of this murderous cartel of thugs among their ranks. If they can't/won't, then they either suck at their jobs or they're in on the game. We really need a new policing system, with all mostly new players!

On a positive note, this hospital (and others will probably follow suit) has now COMPLETELY changed their policy to ban cops from patient care areas. Now they have to stop at the front desk and talk to administrators about their business (just like any other schlub who wanders in) and get permission from a supervisor before charging into hospital rooms and demanding body fluids or "a minute for questioning."

I'm glad to hear this and hope it doesn't get tossed out as soon as the public eye finds some new outrage.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Ceiling_Squid » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:17 am

iMURDAu wrote:If there's good cops out there why aren't they policing the police force? Stories like this are why I laugh a little bit when I see "the thin blue line" shit on bumper stickers and t-shirts. Cops want respect and adoration but they don't give a fuck about the law. They just want you to follow their orders.

"Shit on the constitution and lose your job or you're under arrest! *sticks fingers in ears* Na na I can't hear you talking about that stupid legal stuff."

And Trump wants officers to have more access to military surplus. Get ready for some police departments to become paramilitary organizations that still can't seem to solve the opiate crisis and still have poor community relations. Watch for an RPG (not like Star Ocean!) to be busted out during a minor drug bust somewhere.

Basically, bad cops (and their enabler Trump) want to be gunslinging honchos like Judge Dredd. Except with none of that pesky "duty" and "self-sacrifice", and "unwavering adherence to the spirit and principles of the Law".

It's rather telling when the police are coming off morally-worse than an actual dystopian satire of police brutality.

Ceiling_Squid
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:31 pm

DanteHoratio wrote:
iMURDAu wrote:Is it really that hard to control the extremists though? There aren't too many workplaces I'm aware of that have employees who violate the civil rights of citizens on a regular basis.

The problem is the good cops have everything to lose and nothing to gain from trying to control the bad cops. The bad cops could murder the family of the good cops.

Then they're no longer good cops if they're willing to just watch the bad ones operate.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:27 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Then they're no longer good cops if they're willing to just watch the bad ones operate.

Either that, or so incompetent as "cops" that they've been punked out by their own kind. Either way, "good cops" who stand around whining on how they can't do anything about the "bad cops" just SUCK and should not have excuses made for them!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:36 pm

It's not anywhere near that simple. Here's a question for you: Would you be willing to put your career, safety, and potentially the safety of your family on the line, just to file a report against a co-worker, knowing that there's a 95% chance that absolutely nothing happens to the guy?

Good cops who let bad cops get away with doing bad things aren't being bad cops. They just don't want to get Serpico'd in the face. Just like you and me, individual officers are just cogs in a machine. They don't have any authority beyond making reports and, if the qualifications are met, arrest, but nothing beyond that. They don't choose to prosecute, they don't do the prosecuting. They don't even get to decide if the guy stays arrested.

In almost all cases, a cop who steps out of line, regardless of severity, isn't prosecuted or probably even reprimanded. Why put yourself and those you care about in a bad, potentially dangerous situation when nothing is going to get done? It's easy for us to think of "the police" as being one huge collective, and easy to say "It's for the greater good", but the people involved are individuals, not a collective, and they understandably are reluctant to make that choice.

And if we only hired cops who were willing to make that choice? I'd say that considering how few officers do, we'd end up with 3 cops in all of New York City and find ourselves up a creek pretty quickly.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Lindvaettr wrote:It's not anywhere near that simple. Here's a question for you: Would you be willing to put your career, safety, and potentially the safety of your family on the line, just to file a report against a co-worker, knowing that there's a 95% chance that absolutely nothing happens to the guy?

Well, I don't fancy myself a "fighter of crime" and/or "defender of public safety." I'm not sure their impotence is any more redeeming than corruption. One way or another, they're not doing they're jobs and "I'm scared to," is a piss-poor excuse for someone who expects to be worshiped as our "Brave Hero in Blue."

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:21 pm

And being impotent in the face of corruption makes them suck at their jobs, be in on the game, and no longer be good cops? Good cops being impotent in the face of corruption is certainly a sign that corruption is an issue that needs to be addressed, but hardly justification for condemning the ones who are impotent.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:42 pm

It must be nice to get to suck at your job and keep it anyway.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:36 pm

Lindvaettr wrote:Would you be willing to put your career, safety, and potentially the safety of your family on the line, just to file a report against a co-worker, knowing that there's a 95% chance that absolutely nothing happens to the guy?

I'd be finding a new line of work. Or I'd just start doing whatever I wanted to because if anyone says anything I'll threaten their life and get away with it because nobody speaks out.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:55 pm

iMURDAu wrote:I'd be finding a new line of work.

If all the non-corrupt cops found new lines of work, it seems unlikely that the situation would be improved.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:50 pm

Um, Serpico anyone?

The man almost died speaking out against corrupt cops.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:31 pm

Lindvaettr wrote:

If all the non-corrupt cops found new lines of work, it seems unlikely that the situation would be improved.

Lack of action has lead to what we're dealing with now. Are we also assuming that if all the non-corrupt cops left that there would be enough police to do the job? That's dark, but I'm on board.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Lois_Lane » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:39 pm

Lindvaettr wrote:

In which case the entire organization needs to be burned down and reformed. If you replaced the word "cops" in there with any other profession you would rightly be horrified.

Lindvaettr wrote:

If all the non-corrupt doctors found new lines of work, it seems unlikely that the situation would be improved.

Lindvaettr wrote:

If all the non-corrupt child therapists found new lines of work, it seems unlikely that the situation would be improved.

Think about what you're saying. Cops can already kill minorities with little fear of prosecution or financial threat, even with all these "good" cops around. What exactly are they doing now that losing the "good" cops is preventing them from? What are the "good" cops actually preventing these bad cops from doing when they're so scared that they fear abuse if they speak up?

If a mugger is beating you and all the bystanders do is watch are they improving the situation? Will you walk away with less injuries because you had witness? Will you get justice when those witnesses refuse to back you up in a court of law?

The "good" cops are at most maintaining the status quo that has already hit rock bottom without turning into complete violent police state. I would rather a thousand "good" cops leave their organizations and form groups to push for police reform rather than have them sit silently in the inside. And before you say it, no, I don't believe reform from the inside is viable. They have had a hundred+ years to get their act together and they have remained steadfast in refusing to self-police.

By the way, the reason I've been putting quotes around good is due to the fact I don't believe their good. Any department that covers for a bad officer is garbage. A single cop being five meters above their colleagues morale level is still shit if they go along with it.

I wish all the people who keep stating the apples quote would actually finish the whole sentence.

"A few bad apples ruins the whole bunch."

Lois_Lane
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Queen of Marvel

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:06 pm

The saying actually goes, "ONE bad apple will spoil the whole barrel."

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:23 pm

So, they finally fired his sorry ass!

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext