"Unite the Right" racist protest turns violent

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: "Unite the Right" racist protest turns violent

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:57 am

NoodleFox wrote:
BinaryStep wrote:
NoodleFox wrote:If you stepped out of your safe space and into different areas, you'd understand why Nazis would get so riled up the past several years.

Spoiler: show

Yes, I expected a response as shallow as this. Great job trying to change my view in a respectful manner.

He said, declining to respond to a dozen long, thoughtful, reasonable responses that will never change his view.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NoodleFox » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:01 am

Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:
NoodleFox wrote:
BinaryStep wrote:
NoodleFox wrote:If you stepped out of your safe space and into different areas, you'd understand why Nazis would get so riled up the past several years.

Yes, I expected a response as shallow as this. Great job trying to change my view in a respectful manner.

He said, declining to respond to a dozen long, thoughtful, reasonable responses that will never change his view.

Because I fundamentally AGREE with them in the end!

NoodleFox
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Third Person Facepalm-er

Postby Windy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:10 am

BinaryStep wrote:Really now? What did "most people here" defend, and how was it worse than literal Nazis?

CNN

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:15 am

I am saying this as an Admin: Everyone calm the hell down and stop bickering. One word responses and memes aren't very useful. I don't want to have to lock this thread.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:18 am

There's no bickering here. This is just plain dogpiling and you're refusing to hold the thread to any kind of standard of civility because you disagree with the person being dogpiled. Lock the fucking thread.
Only one person has been making long posts in the last four pages, and that's Noodles. None of which anyone is bothering to read, forget address.
And this is behaviour you as a mod and an admin are fucking endorsing by not even making the cursory effort to stop. You of all people know exactly what I thought of the forum's reaction to Windy, who is basically your friend now. Maybe treat someone who isn't a contradictory troll with the barest bit of fucking respect.

Last edited by A Combustible Lemon on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:19 am

I don't think the problem with "the dogpile" is that lots of people express contrary views. Most people can handle being merely disagreed with. I think the problem is that many of those people add in snipes or barbs that would be minor in isolation but accumulate to something major when repeated over and over throughout a discussion by several different people. One person being snarky feels like a personal conflict; ten people being snarky without any serious challenge from others feels like "shun the unbeliever". If we were a forum of Kates I don't think it would be so unpleasant being in the minority on a contentious issue, but we're not.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:22 am

So, like, what are we even arguing about now? Is anyone taking the position that there aren't shitty people on the left who are aggravating race/gender/etc. tensions? Because I'll take NoodleFox's back on that one. I don't know about any CP chatrooms, but there are definitely some toxic assholes on both sides of the fence.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:28 am

If you want this thread locked so much you have your wish. I will unlock it tomorrow.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:13 pm

This is my thread so I'm setting rules for it. If it wasn't my thread I wouldn't make the same demands. Users can also set some (reasonable) standards for their own threads.

1. No more reaction memes. If you must post a reaction meme include verbal context. No more replies in this thread that are mere images. If you're shocked or disgusted by something, use your words.

2. If you have a problem with me personally or with the management of this website, bring it up on the appropriate forum or message me. Do NOT derail the thread with meta discussion.

3. Please stop the sniping. This isn't a roast.

4. Way too much of this thread has been criticizing people's personality rather than their arguments. Discuss ideas instead.

I'm unlocking this, enjoy the Nazi news.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:57 pm

Yeah. I have an objection to this. The USA is a big ass place and I've been through some of it. Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico were definitely not made for white people. I'm pretty sure if you lived in any of these places and got a job offer in Nebraska, you'd take it. Even though it's friggin' Nebraska. It beats becoming a Crispy Critter.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:18 pm

So, I found an interview with the guy with the flamethrower paint can...

The 23-year-old elder care worker says he went to the counterprotests to have his voice heard. He didn’t want to see racism win and destroy the city he was raised in.

“I went out to voice my opinion. To have my freedom of speech. Just like the racist Nazis who took over my town,” Long said in an interview with The Root.

But what started out as a peaceful protest eventually turned violent. And Long says the cops stood around and did nothing.

“At first it was peaceful protest,” Long said softly as he spoke. “Until someone pointed a gun at my head. Then the same person pointed it at my foot and shot the ground.”

Long said the only weapon he had was a can of spray paint that a white supremacist threw at him earlier, so he took a lighter to the spray paint and turned it into a flame thrower. And a photographer snapped the photo.

But inside of every photograph there’s an untold story. If you look closely at Long’s picture, there’s an elderly white man standing in between Long and his friend. The unknown man was part of the counterprotests too, but was afraid, and Long and his friends were trying to protect him. Even though, Long says, those who were paid to protect the residents of Charlottesville were doing just the opposite.

“The cops were protecting the Nazis, instead of the people who live in the city,” Long said. “The cops basically just stood in their line and looked at the chaos. The cops were not protecting the people of Charlottesville. They were protecting the outsiders.”

Now, I have seen videos that seem to imply that the cops stood by and did indeed just watch as both protesters and counter protestors got into it. They eventually intervened, but not right away. It took me a while to realize that many of what look like riot cops in videos and pictures were actually members of the unite the right, dressed with shields and in gear.

There's also been a picture going around claiming that a member of anti-fa is beating a cop-the picture is a photoshop from a demonstration in Greece.

Texas A and M have cancelled a planned rally due to safety concerns.

"Texas A&M's support of the First Amendment and the freedom of speech cannot be questioned," the university said in a statement Monday afternoon.

"However, in this case circumstances and information relating to the event have changed and the risks of threat to life and safety compel us to cancel the event."

Reached by phone while shopping at Walmart on Monday afternoon, rally organizer Preston Wiginton said he had not heard the news. He said he had signed up to protest at a “free speech area” on campus on Sept. 11, but had not heard from anyone at the school since he announced. His response: “I guess my lawyers will now be suing the state of Texas.”

The school cited the violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, this weekend in guiding its decision.

Wiginton, a local white nationalist, announced his plans for the A&M rally on Saturday amid that violence. The headline for his press release read, "TODAY CHARLOTTESVILLE TOMORROW TEXAS A&M." A&M officials cited that headline in their decision.

Weev, a daily stormer member, is apparently planning to send followers to Heather's memorial per a screenshot on twitter. Some vets on twitter, having heard this, are calling for other vets to come out and protect the family from these followers as an honor guard.

Meanwhile, protesters in North Carolina tore down a Confederate monument.

The police stated that they did not interfere as it happened on county property. No. Really.

"Because this incident occurred on county property, where county law enforcement officials were staffed, no arrests were made by DPD officers," Durham police spokesman Wil Glenn said in a statement.

And I do agree with Gov. Roy here:

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:30 pm

I find it really sickening that our police show up to BLM events in full riot gear but refuse to take nazi protests seriously.

As for the statues I think they should be relocated to a museum. The mass destruction of art is disturbing. Although I believe the statues send the wrong message as they are currently displayed.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:48 pm

You know the difference between Canada and the States? When you call for uniting the right you get a violent protest. We get a new political party with a variation of some old, lame name.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:12 pm

tinyrick wrote:

Yeah. I have an objection to this. The USA is a big ass place and I've been through some of it. Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico were definitely not made for white people. I'm pretty sure if you lived in any of these places and got a job offer in Nebraska, you'd take it. Even though it's friggin' Nebraska. It beats becoming a Crispy Critter.

I can't help but wonder if Vanguard America goes around pissing on bushes like dogs and claiming them for the White folks.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:16 pm

Tesseracts wrote:
As for the statues I think they should be relocated to a museum. The mass destruction of art is disturbing. Although I believe the statues send the wrong message as they are currently displayed.

Thats the thing though. Not all these monuments are strictly museum worthy, though. Most of the monuments people are taking umbrage at were erected in the mid 20th century to protest the Civil Rights Movement.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

PreviousNext