"Unite the Right" racist protest turns violent

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: "Unite the Right" racist protest turns violent

Postby Kivutar » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:07 pm

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:32 pm

From the article linked in the previous post:

the report said Charlottesville police allowed the white nationalists and the counterprotesters to clash in the streets in hopes of declaring the assembly unlawful and shutting down the entire rally.

Allowed. The police allowed it to happen. Those bastards!

C'mon white boy, you can't blame the police for fucking up your good time.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Absentia » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:22 pm

Hey, remember James Alex Fields? He had a bad day in court yesterday. The jury was presented with recorded phone calls and texts from Fields before and after the incident. The highlight was a text, in response to his mother telling him to be careful at the rally, reading "We're not the one who need to be careful" along with a picture of Adolf Hitler.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:06 pm

I reckon this is worth a double post:

Fields was convicted of first-degree murder after four hours of deliberation, with the jury recommending a life sentence. He still faces federal charges for which he could (but probably won't) be sentenced to death.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:22 am

Life plus ~400 years. And that's before the federal trial. Also of note, in case it's still not clear about his... evil, evidence the prosecution used in the trial included his own words describing the situation to his mother over texts. Paraphrashing: something about "that lady who died" who "doesn't even fucking matter". Rot.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Absentia » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:00 am

I don't care for the practice of appending meaningless numbers to the end of a life sentence (or even worse, multiple life sentences, like they're going to stage a manhunt to find the guy's next reincarnation). There's no need to be theatrical about it; just say he's never getting out.

Also, IIRC the later conversations with his mother were by telephone. I don't think they let him text from inside.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:05 am

As I understand it, the numbers are because when you become eligible for parole is based on the length of your sentence.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby SandTea » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:16 am

I would be 100% on board if there was a "you're never getting out" ruling. There isn't though, so I am OK with them saying "you have to be here for 500 years". Especially because of situations like the brock turner's who can get no jail time despite being absolutely guilty beyond reasonable doubt of an offense that is worthy of such a punishment.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby cmsellers » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:43 pm

SandTea wrote:I would be 100% on board if there was a "you're never getting out" ruling. There isn't though, so I am OK with them saying "you have to be here for 500 years". Especially because of situations like the brock turner's who can get no jail time despite being absolutely guilty beyond reasonable doubt of an offense that is worthy of such a punishment.

The problem with punishing rape and other non-murder crimes as murder is that it incentivizes rapists to kill their victims to avoid getting caught. It's why SCOTUS has ruled that you can't have the death penalty for rape of a child, but the same logic applies to life sentences as well.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Previous