Chester Bennington, lead singer for Linkin Park, has died

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Chester Bennington, lead singer for Linkin Park, has died

Postby reallifegirl » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Chester Bennington dead at 41

I'm like actually speechless. I don't know what to say. Meteora was my first-ever 'real' album that I bought with my own money, and I'm just so blind-sided by this. This is just so awful. Especially since reports are saying he killed himself.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Re: Chester Bennington, lead singer for Linkin Park, has die

Postby sunglasses » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:27 pm

:(

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:34 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby Matthew Notch » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:04 pm

There's something to be said about art imitating life. 41, with six children. And a voice that was literally, genetically, able to do things no other voice could. I've never made a big secret about my love for Linkin Park, even the ragey stuff from the 90's that hasn't aged well by most people's standards, but it is worth mentioning that his work with Stone Temple Pilots was outstanding as well, and now those guys have lost two lead singers in the space of a couple years. I wonder what OhJohnNo thinks of this.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby KleinerKiller » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:10 pm

I was contemplating so many dark jokes I could make with various Linkin Park lyrics, but nah. I'm too sad. :cry:

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Matthew Notch » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:15 pm

Good to see that at least one of us is breaking the habit.

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:28 pm

I am sorry to hear this. I had a view of Linkin Park which changed over the years. Way back when, I figured they were an also-ran because I thought I knew everything. But they persisted.

I figured Bennington had screamed just-so to be lucky enough to nail one good hit, because anything that wasn't Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, or Pearl Jam was poser material. I'd walk around humming the chorus of In the End, but only because my brain worked on irony (minus self-awareness). Yet, the guy kept singing, against what I thought were all odds, because damn, vocal chords have a limit, don't they?

Over time, I dropped some of my hang-ups, and maybe the band matured. I started digging their live stuff on YouTube, and noted the comradery between the grunge bands and Linkin Park. Bennington, I also noted, could still belt it out - not kinda-like he used to, but in many subjective ways, better than he used to.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/20/arts ... -dead.html

The band’s most recent record, “One More Light” arrived in May and debuted at No 1 on the Billboard album chart.

That article notes the parallels with Chris Cornell. The guy sang at Cornell's funeral, for crying out-loud.

Six kids..

Damn.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:34 pm

It's times like these that make me glad most of the Musicians I like are already dead.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:56 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby Marcuse » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:00 am

Hybrid Theory was the first album I ever bought myself, I still listen to it. This sucks. RIP Chester.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:54 pm

blehblah wrote:I am sorry to hear this. I had a view of Linkin Park which changed over the years. Way back when, I figured they were an also-ran because I thought I knew everything. But they persisted.

I figured Bennington had screamed just-so to be lucky enough to nail one good hit, because anything that wasn't Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, or Pearl Jam was poser material. I'd walk around humming the chorus of In the End, but only because my brain worked on irony (minus self-awareness). Yet, the guy kept singing, against what I thought were all odds, because damn, vocal chords have a limit, don't they?

Over time, I dropped some of my hang-ups, and maybe the band matured. I started digging their live stuff on YouTube, and noted the comradery between the grunge bands and Linkin Park. Bennington, I also noted, could still belt it out - not kinda-like he used to, but in many subjective ways, better than he used to.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/20/arts ... -dead.html

The band’s most recent record, “One More Light” arrived in May and debuted at No 1 on the Billboard album chart.

That article notes the parallels with Chris Cornell. The guy sang at Cornell's funeral, for crying out-loud.

Six kids..

Damn.

Yesterday, the day Chester hung himself, would have been Chris Cornell's birthday. They were really close.

I wonder if that played a factor.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby Matthew Notch » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:34 am

FaceTheCitizen wrote:This morning, I was thinking how Faint had a part where I thought, for years, was a woman singing.

Eff yes. I actually hit the Post Reply button to open in another tab so I could keep listening to this song. Meteora was such a step up from Hybrid Theory--they took so many risks and made them work, like a fast song, a 1/2 time song, one that's almost drum and bass, and a 6/8 song for the first time, plus this goddamn thing:

A straight ahead rap song? No crunchy guitars, just the legitest flute riff ever made? Frickin amazing.

Re: Faint--I think in the album liner notes they mention that they had an orchestral sample they wanted to use but originally were just going to make another midtempo rocker like almost all the songs on Hybrid Theory, and then out of nowhere Mike Shinoda decided to randomly speed the sample up to 2X, and Rob Bourdon picked it up and started playing the quick beat, and the song completely changed feels from there. I always like to hear about the creative process on stuff like that.

Anyway I digress. Today has had a lot of bummers (mostly involving a couple of really good people here) and while it sucks as well that Chester Bennington is no more, it is doing me a lot of good to go back and hear some classic music again that I haven't listened to for a minute.

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep