John McCain has deadly Brain Cancer

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: John McCain has deadly Brain Cancer

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:57 pm

I don't think Reagan's family would agree with your assessment. But in any case, the Onion published made harsh jokes about people right after they died. For instance: "Justice Scalia Dead Following 30-Year Battle With Social Progress" or "Hundreds Of Miniature Sean Hannitys Burst From Roger Ailes’ Corpse".

I wasn't trying to say that their article was okay, but it's kind of what I expected.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:42 pm

That Scalia line is funny, though.

Politicians' deaths are generally accompanied by the slightly weird output of sorrow and respect from people who spent years shitting on them when they were alive. Aside from Donald burying McCain for suffering horrifically in the war he avoided, I can't remember who really gave it to him in life.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Marcuse » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:34 pm

I actually learned about John McCain from a book by Al Franken (who I believe is or was a Democrat senator) I read when I was about 16 (no, I didn't know better). In a book filled with the political equivalent of screeching against Bush and the Right in general, Franken took the time to say that McCain was a pretty good guy actually, and from someone as obviously opposed to him politically as Franken is, it meant something.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:20 pm

Before he was a senator, Franken was a painfully unfunny comedian. Back when I was far left-wing, I read books by several left-wing/Democratic humorists. All of them except for Franken made me laugh at least some of the time. Hell, Ralph Nader's work made me laugh more than Franken's, and while Ralph Nader may be a punchline, he is definitely not a professional humorist.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby ghijkmnop » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:09 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:33 pm

There are now "Deathers". Humanity was a mistake.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:53 pm

Read the topic title.

How can "John McCain has deadly Brain Cancer" if he's dead?

The topic isn't "John McCain has died from Brain Cancer".

I don't see any topics about that on TCS. Pretty sure you even posted that he was no longer being treated for it.

Unless you're all taking Windy's word that he died. Even all those tweets posted by Jamish say "condolences" or "passing" or "loss" or "lost". His passing is so dreadful that Ivanka Trump mourned it. Just another pro QB failing in Arizona is what that sounds l ike to me. There are many reasons to send condolences besides death, passing has multiple meanings, and losing someone means you just can't find them. Elon Musk said the world lost a great man. We lost him. Where he at? Idk. I have seen people on the internet mention him being in heaven. If I know anything about 80's pop music it's that Heaven is a Place on Earth, and if I know anything about 2Pac it's that Heaven Ain't Hard 2 Find. We found the Titanic, we can find John McCain. It won't be easy though. He's a Maverick, starring James Garner.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby blehblah » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:59 pm

iMURDAu wrote: He's a Maverick, starring James Garner.

There's always James Woods - the Hollywood Maverick (tm). Or the original Maverick, and well-known Top Gun champion, whats-his-face, the guy, there... Bruce Sail... no... Jaunt... nah... something-something boat, Thomas McBoatyface! I knew I'd remember.

Franken's "Lies: And the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right" was funny, to me. I don't think Franken was going for humour in the way someone like Norm Macdonald would. It was an overtly political book; less 'funny' like 'ha-ha, good one', and more 'funny' like, 'Fox News gives less of a shit than some dude who wrote for SNL'.

McCain was a mixed bag. He is celebrated for reaching across the isle, though I'm not sure he did. He is also celebrated for being a stand-up kinda guy (not in the comedian sense). He didn't vote the way folks on the left - whatever that means - would have liked him to, because he was a Republican, first and foremost. Sure, his team brought Sarah Palin into the mix, but I'm pretty sure that Palin leading to Trump is nonsense.

McCain was in Vietnam. Another much ridiculed guy was Bob Dole, who caught some shit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dole# ... d_recovery

And this guy, from "the left":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kerr ... %80%931970)

And this guy, who we are told has a team of terribly comflicted folks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Mu ... ps_service

I have no concrete conclusion to this.

Maybe patriotism is a requirement for service, but service isn't a requirement for patriotism, in the USA. And, politics, yadda, yadda...

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby cmsellers » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:42 pm

blehblah wrote:And this guy, from "the left":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kerry

John Kerry was an anti-war activist who supported the Iraq War in what looked like a calculated move to support a popular war before running for president. It was very obvious to those of us who opposed the war at the time that Saddam Hussein did not have WMDs or ties to Al-Qaeda and that Bush's belief we could be in-and-out quickly was delusional (keep in mind we had been fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan for over a year with no end in sight), and that his lack of a long-term plan looked likely to make things way worse (hello, ISIS). The fact that most Democrats in the Senate and most mainstream media outlets ignored all this evidence does not justify any one of them doing it, especially not if they give "we believed W." as an excuse.

I respected John McCain even at the time since he was saying that he would support the war whether what Bush was saying was true because Hussein was an evil dictator who had to go. This was McCain's position on a lot of dictators, and while I disagreed, it was understandable. Other Republicans I can at least understand because W. was their leader, though I will note that Lincoln Chaffee opposed the war anyways, and it is one of the reasons I still deeply respect the man.

However the Democrats were supposed to be the opposition party, and the media is supposed to hold the government accountable. I forgave The Economist for their support for the war because they took responsibility and learned from it; I have not forgiven the New York Times because, as with their coverage of Trump, they refused to take any responsibility and do not seem to have learned anything from it. Similarly, I am not going to to forgive any Democrat who supported the Iraq War and still insists that they made their choice with the best knowledge available to them at the time.

The evidence that Bush was wrong was there, and it was overwhelming, and many people who should know better either ignored it or did not do enough diligence to even look at it in the first place. When it comes to something like war, that is an intolerable oversight. Especially if the whole reason you were able to win a Senate seat in the first place is your work as an anti-war activist.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby blehblah » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:47 pm

I am with you on that, CM. As a dumb-ass Canuck, one of the proudest moments for me was watching Chretien tell the coalition of the willing to get stuffed.

I can't find the exact clip I have in-mind, so here is Chretien reflecting on the decision:

The thing about Chretien has always been that he's barely coherent in either official language, but he is a very, very smart guy.

CM, I see your points about Kerry. It is probably my problem; I have somehow accepted that the goalposts in the US have moved so drastically, and so quickly, which has left no viable "left" in the US, to the point where a Democrat hawk looks like someone who could win some sort of peace prize.

On the invasion of Iraq, which Bush Sr. wisely avoided, it was never about WMDs. The Bush administration had people within intelligence agencies actively vetting raw information so it would support the pre-conceived notion that Iraq needed to be invaded. Colin Powell, who I believe is a stand-up guy, actually presented evidence to the UN about how much and many Hussein's egregious WMDs were, and it was all based on utter bullshit. They didn't dupe a few Democrats, which in retrospect were very wrong, they duped an entire country.

I cannot say if either Kerry or McCain would have not gone into Iraq, because it's unknowable. I can guess that they would have a greater appreciation of what they were asking of their armed forces. Maybe people akin to Rumsfeld and Cheney would have had their way, and maybe dumb-ass decisions like dismissing the entire Iraqi army would have still happened.

In other words, I still have no concrete conclusion to this.

and the media is supposed to hold the government accountable

I am sorry, but I can't agree with this, though I do agree with what media should be. Without arms-length public funding of media which is directed to hold government and opposition factually accountable, media is purely commercial. Their role is to make money by creating a vehicle to sell advertising.

There is a lot in that - transparent democracy which is for the people, and all those wonderful things. At this point, it doesn't exist.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Maybe people akin to Rumsfeld and Cheney would have had their way

I doubt it. Those two had a track record before the Dubya administatration.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Previous