CNN tracks down redditor, reserves right to reveal identity

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: President Trump makes himself an even BIGGER asshole

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:25 pm

So applying your own standards, I guess he shouldn't have made his bed by getting so butthurt at a gif that he tried to dox and blackmail somebody.

He holds full responsibility for his harassment.

I mean, did you think a "The people with full power to stop this situation, who entirely caused this situation, which is entirely preventable are getting backlash for their horrific abuse of authority" would get some sort of both sides reaction from me?

No, both sides aren't fucking equal. CNN is still the one on the wrong side here. It will continue to be on the wrong side until Han Solo becomes a fucking megacorp himself.

Last edited by A Combustible Lemon on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:30 pm

Those are not my standards.

Both sides are bad doesn't have to mean both sides are equally bad.

Last edited by Aquila89 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:32 pm

your EXACT words were that he "made his bed". Those are your standards. You, and anyone who thinks there's no balance of power issue over here, are victim blaming.

Last edited by A Combustible Lemon on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:33 pm

nah

And even if I had supported harassing him, by your standards I hold no responsibility for anything I say.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Windy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:43 pm

the moral of this thread is the only standard that exists are double standards

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Aquila89 wrote:
Social media personality and alt-right commentator Mike Cernovich is among those leading the charge against the reporter, Andrew Kaczynski, saying on Twitter, “We are coming for you.”

Earlier in the day, Cernovich said that “sources” had told him they had planned a protest in front of Kaczynski’s house. An address that reportedly belongs to Kaczynski has been widely spread on Twitter, along with Kaczynski’s phone numbers and information about his spouse, siblings, and parents.

Uh, yeah, that's undoubtedly what I'd been hearing about, thanks for clearing that up champ.

Now while we're addressing each other''s posts-

Aquila89 wrote:Never? I'm not sure about that. Not long ago The Daily Beast revealed that the founder of the highly misogynistic theRedPill subreddit was Robert Fisher, a Republican state representative from New Hampshire. Fisher had to resign. Were they wrong in doxxing him? What if CNN found out that this redditor was a Republican politician too? Would it be wrong to doxx him then?

YES! IT WOULD BE FUCKING FUCKED UP!

That's disgusting what happened to Fisher. What cause he started a 'highly misogynistic' reddit page, that makes him okay for the modern day puritans have themselves a little heretic burning? Unless he committed a crime, that's despicable. At most you could say, well he's a politician so he's a public figure and fair game, voters have a right to know yadda yadda.

But still, fuck The Daily Beast, and double-fuck the republicans for forcing him to resign.

Aquila89 wrote:Nonsense. Racist shitposting is wrong, and of course people are responsible for the things they do.

So what if it's wrong? If it's legal and you're a private citizen not some public figure, doing things that go against other people's morality is hardly a defense against what CNN did or anyone doing something like that for racist shitposting.
Obviously the guy is of course responsible for his own actions but his actions don't warrent anything like this.

He didn't just post racist stuff in the ImGoingToHellForThis subreddit, but serious subs as well, like uncensorednews or The_Donald (including a call to "find, doxx and fuck up" people.) ImGoingToHellForThis is in theory a "dark jokes" sub, but it was pretty much turned into an alt-right recruitment ground, where racists express their ideas earnestly. HanAssholeSolo's post there were not in any way humorous, and if someone made posts like that in our offensive jokes thread, it'd be poorly received.
[

I can see you're trying to make an attempt to wrap your brain around all this, but it don't make an iota of difference how offensive he was, or what kinda place that place in our estimation was, or how much nicer our version of that kinda thing is, unless he was commiting a crime, doxxing the bastard is wrong. Just as wrong as people actually doxxing the bastard who threatened to do it to him. Or unrelated people getting caught up in all this because they have a connection to CNN.

Murdering an attempted murderer is still murder and should be condemned as much as any other murder. Doxxing someone who threatened to doxx someone is just as bad as doxxing anybody else and should be condemned.

Sooooooo ... we giving this thing it's own thread yet or what? I think it's got legs :D

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:44 pm

That's not a gotcha when it takes nothing away from my point. You're literally a nameless anonymous poster here. You /have/ no responsibility for what you say. Any attempt to push responsibility on to you for what you say that takes away from your anonymity is a horrible breach of privacy.
So I disagree with windy, i've got no double standard.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:50 pm

In my view, responsibility for the things I say includes getting criticized on this nameless, anonymous forum, which naturally happened to me. Or getting banned from it which could happen. Responsibility doesn't just mean revealing your identity.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Cobra-D » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:51 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:There's no fucking defence here, CNN's the only one that did wrong. Random citizens have NO responsibility for anything legal they do.

Bullshit everyone is responsible for the shitty things they say and do.

Last edited by Cobra-D on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:51 pm

D-LOGAN wrote:YES! IT WOULD BE FUCKING FUCKED UP!

^This. I didn't want to dwell on it because it's a seperate topic but here's some hot news from 1920. SHAMING ISN'T ACTUALLY A GOOD WAY TO MAINTAIN VIRTUE. Adultery is also completely morally wrong, do I get to snoop around your private relationships as long as I'm a newspaper now?

D-LOGAN wrote:Sooooooo ... we giving this thing it's own thread yet or what? I think it's got legs

Hopefully we can name it "Some people think it's ok to harass people we don't like" since the thread we're in is named so wonderfully.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:57 pm

Cobra-D wrote:Bullshit everyone is responsible for the shitty things they say and do.

have you ever done anything technically illegal behind the cover of anonymity or hiding among numbers that you didn't report to the police? I suspect you owe a few hundred millions for piracy if you're a pirate. Otherwise you're shirking responsibility to the tune of actual millions of dollars. Court ordered.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:01 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:have you ever done anything technically illegal behind the cover of anonymity or hiding among numbers that you didn't report to the police? I suspect you owe a few hundred millions for piracy if you're a pirate. Otherwise you're shirking responsibility to the tune of actual millions of dollars. Court ordered.

Just because Cobra thinks that you are responsible for things you do anonymously doesn't mean that he agrees that that is the level of responsibility required for that specific action. For example, I even if I wouldn't agree with existing civil penalties for piracy, I would still say that people who copy and distribute copyrighted data anonymously are still responsible for that, and should pay an appropriate penalty.

More fundamentally problematic with your view, however, is that it's self-defeating. If you aren't responsible for what you do anonymously, then does that mean that you can reveal someone else's identity while hiding behind anonymity yourself?

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:07 pm

duh?
Hypocrisy is not a defense. Unmasking someone who unmasked someone is still unmasking someone. Same as how murdering murderers is murder.

If you unmask someone from behind a mask, you don't magically lose your right to privacy.

I'm also confused that you of all people are supporting what is essentially an unlawful search. You know the standards for privacy rights.

Last edited by A Combustible Lemon on Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:09 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:duh?
Hypocrisy is not a defense. Unmasking someone who unmasked someone is still unmasking someone. Same as how murdering murderers is murder.

This is my point. You claimed that you can never be held responsible for what you legally do anonymously. But now you are saying that anonymity is no defense when it comes to doxxing someone (which is generally legal). So which is it? Am I not allowed to out someone because anonymity should be inviolable, or am I allowed to out people because anonymity should be inviolable?

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:12 pm

The obvious exception is the state itself holding people responsible via warrant.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

PreviousNext