Secret Moderator Guidelines?

Things to guide you through this site.

Re: Secret Moderator Guidelines?

Postby Taluun » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:46 pm

Most of the posts in this thread seem to be heavily based in sarcasm to me. Maybe thats the point and everyone is in on it because of the IRC or something.

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:50 pm

@Taluun It's not, the entire discussion is in earnest. There's probably some sarcasm mixed in there too, but it's in support of an earnest discussion. I don't have time to get into it right now, because I need sleep.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:56 pm

aviel wrote:
CarrieVS wrote:You seem to have missed my point. The point is that a list of rules and what the mods can and should do to enforce them has been published.

It's apparently not a complete list. We should be able to see the complete list.

It is a complete list. If the mods do anything outside the published rules or beyond their remit according to the published rules, then that's abuse of authority and appropriate actions can and should be taken, regardless of whether any unpublished guideline told them to do it.

I see no problem with having more detailed instructions about how to do the things they're obliged and allowed to do, or reason why these instructions not being public is any kind of abuse.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:58 pm

CarrieVS wrote:It is a complete list.

Demonstrably not.

I see no problem with having more detailed instructions about how to do the things they're obliged and allowed to do, or reason why these instructions not being public is any kind of abuse.

You need reason why they shouldn't be made public, not reason why they should be. You have misplaced the burden of proof.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:59 pm

aviel wrote:You need reason why they shouldn't be made public, not reason why they should be. You have misplaced the burden of proof.

You're the one asking for something to be changed.

You were, apparently, content with the rules and mod powers and level of accountability. So no mod actions within those rules and powers ought to be either unexpected or problematic to you. So what is your issue?

Last edited by CarrieVS on Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:59 pm

CarrieVS wrote:
aviel wrote:You need reason why they shouldn't be made public, not reason why they should be. You have misplaced the burden of proof.

You're the one asking for something to be changed.

Yes, for a thing to be publicized. You need a reason to keep a secret, not a reason to tell somebody something that may affect them.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Australia » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:12 pm

Where are the kidneys hidden? #GuidelineGate

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Kate » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:16 pm

I will put it to you this way, avi.

If we were secretly conspiring to have a list of guidelines that would affect you in any negative way, we would not argue this, we would publish a fake list of guidelines and let you debate them forever. Or at least I would, because I'm a redhead and therefore evil.

If we cannot be trusted when we say that this is all they are, but don't publish them, then you can't trust anything we publish. Period. Because you don't have the good faith necessary to trust that it is the correct list.

There is always going to have to be a measure of trust that users place in the moderation team. You do not owe us your full trust, however, we also do not owe you our guidelines. And Carrie has phrased it beautifully, guidelines is the more correct term, and they do not say anything you do not already know about what we can and cannot do. If you cannot or do not trust that, I understand that, but logically you also can't trust anything we say at that point.

I promise you that you can trust this. I understand that my promise is not good enough for you. I wish it was, and will endeavor to conduct myself in a manner that will demonstrate that my primary concern is, and always has been, you, and every other user here.

The basement. You know the one...

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:19 pm

Avi, I'm going to side with the mods on this. You fucked yourself with that belligerent, demanding, almost hostile tone. I'm the one who wrote the first draft of these guidelines and I can assure you that there's nothing nefarious going on. I think you know that - you're just being nosy and petulant. I suspect that had you asked nicely, perhaps in private, the mods would have been happy to satisfy your curiosity. I guess now we'll never know. I don't know what's gotten into you last night and today, but you need to chill out and stop acting like you run this damn forum.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:28 pm

Damiana you do not speak for the mods and have no authority to speculate that we would reveal this information if Avi was more polite.

Aviel, your demands are not only unreasonable and entitled, but also entirely illogical. You have known for quite some time we have a secret mod forum. You never complained. It only makes sense that our secret forum contains information we aren't eager to share.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Marcuse » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:29 pm

Okay, let's try and keep things civil here. I understand this is a very frustrating subject to have dragged up again, but we don't need to malign each other while we're doing it.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:33 pm

Tesseracts wrote:Damiana you do not speak for the mods and have no authority to speculate that we would reveal this information if Avi was more polite.

Well, that's kind of uncalled for, but whatever...

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Taluun » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:46 pm

Part of the reason I thought there was so much sarcasm was because the thread seemed to get hostile very, very quickly which seems very odd to me.

On amother note I am pretty sure everyone has the authority to speculate on literally anything...

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:01 pm

Spoiler: show

I know my paranoia has clashed against the Secret Moderator Forum before, and perhaps we could call it something less enticing like "Moderation Discussion Forum" but come on, we have less active members than a large English 101 Class. Do we really need this severity of tone?

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:04 pm

My concern isn't that anything nefarious is going on. I don't think the moderators would deliberately do something problematic, but they might accidentally, and as such it's reasonable that users know about this. Again, nobody has provided a compelling reason why the guidelines shouldn't be released. Tone certainly doesn't count.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext