Secret Moderator Guidelines?

Things to guide you through this site.

Re: Secret Moderator Guidelines?

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:50 pm

{{{Ceiling_Squid}}}

There there... we don't love you any less because we're cross with each other.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby ShuaiGuy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:57 pm

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:11 pm

But uhhh. I know this is weird, since this is a thread about mods, BUT WHERE IS THE MOD TELLING US TO COOL OFF?!

Right here

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:13 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:14 pm

Kate wrote:I'm confused; you say you don't believe there's anything nefarious, yet you don't trust that this doesn't really pertain to you or provide any new information about mod abuse and forum rules, yet you DO trust us to provide the guidelines accurately and honestly?

Yes, because I don't distrust your intentions. I don't think you're intending to act immorally or dishonestly, and I am sure you are trying to do the right thing. But in failing to make these guidelines public, you are failing to do so.

As others have pointed out better than I have, and as I have been saying for hours now, you DO know how we will behave. These guidelines do not provide any new information in that regard. I know you're about to say, "but I don't know that if I can't see it," but see Marcuse's point about security risks, and beyond that, it makes no logical sense to trust that we will provide you with our real full unedited guidelines but not trust what we say about them, unless you think we are idiots who don't know what we have written and don't understand the legalese of it.

I think you may not understand the implications of the rules you've written with respect to user expectations. It's possible you do, but I can't know that until we see them.

FaceTheCitizen wrote:They've been publicized for two years.

Kate told me in the CAaSS thread that there were secret moderator guidelines I would "never see".

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:15 pm

Avi... I'm afraid there's no way for me to say this without sounding somewhat patronizing. I'm going to ask you to really, honestly, objectively ask yourself why you have so much anxiety over this. You have known for years we have secret conversations. Years. Nothing has changed.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby ShuaiGuy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:16 pm

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:19 pm

Tesseracts wrote:Avi... I'm afraid there's no way for me to say this without sounding somewhat patronizing. I'm going to ask you to really, honestly, objectively ask yourself why you have so much anxiety over this. You have known for years we have secret conversations. Years. Nothing has changed.

That's distinct from separate guidelines you have to follow. This is not a compelling argument at all. I have still not been presented with any evidence of harm that would result from publication of the guidelines, so you are obligated to publish them.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:29 pm

Mr. Citizen just did exactly that, Avi. Are you going to thank him now or continue bitching? I can affirm (if it's all right with Tess) that these are, in fact, the "Secret Moderator Guidelines." The only thing missing is one rule about moderators bickering with one another (as opposed to disagreeing in a debate scenario) where the community can watch, take sides, and egg it on. I think that's less about Secret Mod Policy and more about good manners, which might be why it wasn't included. Of course, I'm just a low-ranking plebe who doesn't know shit around here, so you'll have to ask a Person of Importance if you want to know anything more.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:34 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:Mr. Citizen just did exactly that, Avi. Are you going to thank him now or continue bitching? I can affirm (if it's all right with Tess) that these are, in fact, the "Secret Moderator Guidelines." The only thing missing is one rule about moderators bickering with one another (as opposed to disagreeing in a debate scenario) where the community can watch, take sides, and egg it on. I think that's less about Secret Mod Policy and more about good manners.

Kate referred to secret ones we would never see. It would be nice if she or another moderator who has been a moderator more recently would confirm those distinctions.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Australia » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:37 pm

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:38 pm

aviel wrote:Kate referred to secret ones we would never see.

It's quite possible that Kate had forgotten about that ages-old thread. Either way, you want us to take her out back and kick her ass? While we're doing that, you really should get some rest.

Last edited by DamianaRaven on Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby caitlent » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:41 pm

So this and the other thread should be in Loud Noises right? At the very least should be in the ask a mod subforum? Because somehow I don't think a debate between one person and "the man" is going to help anyone looking in the Rules and FAQ section.

caitlent
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:57 pm

Kate referred to secret ones we would never see. It would be nice if she or another moderator who has been a moderator more recently would confirm those distinctions.

I think you're taking one statement flippantly made within a post far far too seriously. We have shitloads of discussion, learning and information we have learned about what works and what doesn't work when moderating, usually in the form of discussing situations in situ and evaluating people's performance when moderating. You don't need to see that stuff because it's mostly us self-regulating and telling each other we're wrong and it's both private and sensitive. Why else would it be held secret in the first place unless it was to a greater or lesser extent, private?

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:15 pm

Little Bird, you're going to feel like a wet food stamp when I point out that you were THERE (eight months ago) when the Staff Guidelines (aka The Secret Moderator Conspiracies) were discussed.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext