Merge Discord and IRC

Got a suggestion how we can improve? Post it here.

?

Good idea
65%
Bad idea
8%
idea
28%

Total votes : 40

Merge Discord and IRC

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:42 pm

We have a Discord chat room, and an IRC chat room. Ever since Discord was created, there are people who chat there and not on IRC, and vice versa. I think it's fine to have two types of chat, but the division in our already small community is unfortunate.

There is a bot which would take what we say in Discord and post it on IRC, and take what we say in IRC and post it in Discord.

This sounds like a good idea to me. I would prefer that it only does this with the main chat however. One of the advantages of IRC is you can say things without being certain it will be recorded, unlike Discord which records everything, so to preserve this feature we could have a Discord free IRC channel.

The bot can also take content from a specific Discord channel and link it to it's corresponding IRC room. So the Van on Discord can link with the Van on IRC.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: Merge Discord and IRC

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:46 pm

The bot seems like all upside to me. TCS is small enough that dividing it in two leaves halves that aren't really big enough to sustain themselves. And while I personally don't mind using both discord and IRC, there are people who would insist on using IRC even though they'd be fine talking to people on discord, and presumably vice versa. Furthermore, there are already users logging what is said on IRC, so you would already have to create a new chatroom to say something completely off the record.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Taluun » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:01 pm

Like I said in Discord, I am all for this. Like Avi said, some already kept logs of everything posted on the IRC. I personally see no reason not to do this. Another site I use (anilist) did the same thing earlier this summer and I have wanted the same to be done since I saw how well that worked.

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:24 pm

I still have no idea what Discord is but I see these crazy kids talking about it.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Grimstone » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:44 pm

sunglasses wrote:I still have no idea what Discord is but I see these crazy kids talking about it.

It's like IRC but you can put youtube videos, pictures, gifs, etc. right into the chat just like you can on these forums, see

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:47 pm

Now there's an idea, maybe now it wouldn't be like, 20 minutes per sentence typed.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:27 pm

Grimstone wrote:
sunglasses wrote:I still have no idea what Discord is but I see these crazy kids talking about it.

It's like IRC but you can put youtube videos, pictures, gifs, etc. right into the chat just like you can on these forums, see

Spoiler: show

There are plenty of clients that allow you to embed images and videos in IRC. The primary differences with discord is that discord owns all the servers and has a proprietary protocol and client, and that you can see things that were said even when you weren't logged in.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:54 pm

aviel wrote:There are plenty of clients that allow you to embed images and videos in IRC. The primary differences with discord is that discord owns all the servers and has a proprietary protocol and client, and that you can see things that were said even when you weren't logged in.

Is that standard for everyone who uses IRC because I think it is standard for everyone who uses Discord which would be a pretty big difference to me. Also, can you edit/delete your chat messages in IRC like you can in Discord?

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby Learned Nand » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:03 am

There is no "standard" with respect to whether images or videos are embedded in your IRC client; it just depends on your specific client's behavior and whether it chooses to follow and display links to visual content.

You cannot edit or delete chat messages in IRC.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:18 am

How would this bot deal with images that are uploaded to Discord?

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:49 am

I briefly talked with avi about implementing this a few days ago, but I've been too busy to look into it. That said, I'm for it. Chat's been basically dead most of the year, ripping it in two with two chat rooms was a terrible idea, but oh well.

I think it'd be worth linking main and #thevan at the least, other channels are optional. Guess it doesn't hurt, but they've been dead for years at this point, so I don't know that it's really worth it.

As for things being recorded, the advantage of IRC is it's only being recorded by other users, not by a proprietary client, and therefor by the company that owns it. How much that really matters to you I guess depends on how much issue you have with a third party having access to that. Personally, I don't think it's a huge deal, but I can understand why some people would be concerned with it. If you're like me and keep logs, Discord doesn't let you store your logs locally on your computer, so it's much more difficult to search old logs if you're looking for something. Even just trying to read older messages from a few hours ago is a lot more difficult, as the client uses an infinite scroll, which forces it to load messages frequently.

I don't really see much point in a Discord-free IRC channel. If you want it kept more discrete, you're better off creating a private channel for yourself and whoever it is you want to talk to, or just PMing them. As avi mentioned, there's already people who log everything on IRC anyway.

Grimstone wrote:
aviel wrote:There are plenty of clients that allow you to embed images and videos in IRC. The primary differences with discord is that discord owns all the servers and has a proprietary protocol and client, and that you can see things that were said even when you weren't logged in.

Is that standard for everyone who uses IRC because I think it is standard for everyone who uses Discord which would be a pretty big difference to me. Also, can you edit/delete your chat messages in IRC like you can in Discord?

IRC is a protocol, there's standards for how it works, there's standards for commands, in general clients follows these standards. Some, like Mibbit (which is shit), don't follow all of them. So it's a bit more client dependent. A better way to think of IRC is more akin to text messages, but you can get a million different texting apps for your phone. Some will embed links to images as images, some won't. There's plenty of other differences in terms of their functionality, but they all send and receive text messages. Discord is much more akin to Skype, it's a proprietary client, not a protocol, it's main intention is for voice, though it supports text, but is shit for a text client.

Embedding gifs, vids, pics, n shit is the default setting on Discord, but not everyone uses it. I turn that shit off, because then I get flooded with constant shit that I don't care about, and it just clutters up my screen. So I only click links when it's something I think I'll actually care about.

Editing/deleting messages will likely be largely moot with the bridge, since the message will have already been sent to IRC and will remain unedited there, nor will you be able to delete it. That said, the server won't keep the message, so it'll only remain on the users clients, and no-one new joining IRC will see it.

I talked a little bit more about the differences between Discord and IRC here, though it's hardly in depth.

Tesseracts wrote:How would this bot deal with images that are uploaded to Discord?

Ideally it would just send the URL to IRC as a normal message. I'd be surprised if it doesn't do this.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby Jack Road » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:27 am

Most Discord chats I am in also have IRC bots that correspond between the IRC and Discord. But we are young enough, why not just go to Discord entirely? It is clearly the better of the two, and it isn't like we are limiting anyone by going to it, anyone can access Discord anywhere from the same platforms that support IRC.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:34 am

Jack Road wrote:Most Discord chats I am in also have IRC bots that correspond between the IRC and Discord. But we are young enough, why not just go to Discord entirely? It is clearly the better of the two, and it isn't like we are limiting anyone by going to it, anyone can access Discord anywhere from the same platforms that support IRC.

I would prefer this, but I can't make people go to Discord who do not like it. Several people are on IRC who don't want to use Discord.

I don't agree with the idea that the Discord/IRC split is causing less activity. IRC was dead for a long time. Discord caused a noticeable increase in activity. Now Discord is somewhat active and IRC is as dead as it's ever been.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby Kate » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:20 am

One big difference between the logging is, let's say Tess, avi, ambi, and Jack are all on irc. I might trust all four of them and feel comfortable with any or all of them logging what I say. When I found myself not talking on discord a good number of times because I was comfortable with the people who were there seeing it but not necessarily everyone who shows up in perpetuity, I realized it really wasn't worth it. I hadn't considered that a bot communicating between the two would remove that advantage. So...I guess I think it's a good idea but I personally will probably use Irc even less?

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby Piter Lauchy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:19 pm

Maybe it's possible to deactivate that bot for single users on request? People who know stuff about stuff would have to figure that out, but that's my first thought. Surely, the goal of the merge isn't to alienate anyone.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Next