"Mark forums as read" option under "View unread posts"

Got a suggestion how we can improve? Post it here.

Re: "Mark forums as read" option under "View unread posts"

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:19 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:58 pm

I'm not so sure about that, FTC. He did say "a tiny bit."

Personally, I like using "New Posts" because it gives me sense of accomplishment as threads turn white. Of course I also often miss stuff that way, but so what? If it's really important, it will appear in "New Posts" again, eventually.

I like having unread posts back to the start of the forum. Sometimes, when I am really, really bored, I go deep into "unread posts," find an ancient thread, and start reading and thumbing.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby DashaBlade » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:09 am

Piter Lauchy wrote:
Marcuse wrote:There's a really easy way around this anyway. Simply read all the things that interest you in the unread posts section, then return to the board index and check "mark forums read". This removes them from your unread posts list en masse.

It looks like Piter saw this, but to others, you can totally just do that.

The problem with that is my (highly irrational, I know) fear that in the time it takes me to do that, someone might have posted something new, which I would then miss because I marked it as read.
Yes, I am a tiny bit neurotic.

Do what I do. The really interesting threads that I want to follow, I open in a separate tab and then mark everything as read, and then read the tabs I have open. Then if someone posts something in between the time I've read the tabs and get back to seeing the (new) unread messages, I don't miss it.

Yeah, I know, it's a lot of work, but I'm also of the "I don't want to miss stuff!" tribe. :D

DashaBlade
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cat Lady

Postby Piter Lauchy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:06 am

DashaBlade wrote:Do what I do. The really interesting threads that I want to follow, I open in a separate tab and then mark everything as read, and then read the tabs I have open. Then if someone posts something in between the time I've read the tabs and get back to seeing the (new) unread messages, I don't miss it.

Yeah, I know, it's a lot of work, but I'm also of the "I don't want to miss stuff!" tribe. :D

That's the process I was referring to. I didn't mean "the time it takes me to read all threads", but "the time it takes me to go to the main page and mark everything as read", which is like 5 seconds.
The "tiny bit neurotic" may have been an understatement.
The more this gets discussed the more I feel whiny and embarrassed about this. It really is a non-issue, if you think about it. :?

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby ghijkmnop » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:03 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:24 pm

I just read everything. Some things I skim, but I see every post in every thread.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:28 pm

DashaBlade wrote:Do what I do. The really interesting threads that I want to follow, I open in a separate tab and then mark everything as read, and then read the tabs I have open. Then if someone posts something in between the time I've read the tabs and get back to seeing the (new) unread messages, I don't miss it.

I would be fine with that if I didn't have forty pages of unread posts. One of these days it would be nice to get through them, and my method for it right now--opening stuff I'm even vaguely interested in in a new tab and leaving behind the rest--still leaves me with a whole lot of pages. At least, if there were a checkbox or something to mark the uninteresting stuff as 'read', I could move through these posts a page at a time instead of muddling through and hopefully catching everything I wanted to see before I clear the whole thing en masse.

EDIT: DYAC

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby LaChaise » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:54 am

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Previous