SJW thread/cringe/mockery

Got a suggestion how we can improve? Post it here.

SJW thread/cringe/mockery

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:45 pm

There has been some very understandable concern raised about the Social Justice Absurdity thread. The thread began as a place to post news stories related to social justice, but has since become a place where people post things related to social justice views which may not actually be in the news, including posts on personal blogs and such. As it stands right now some of the posts in this thread would fit better in the social cellar or loud noises than in current affairs. I confess the reason it has gotten so chaotic is because I simply find it tiring to sort through all the posts and make sure they are in their proper place. I'm starting this thread to get feedback on the issue, and hopefully set up some more clear guidelines to keep things a bit more organized.

As I see it there are a couple of issues here.

1. The SJW thread. What are the standards for it? What belongs here and what doesn't? How do we draw the line between news and non-news?

2. Cringe posts in general. The last time we revised the rules of TCS, cringe stuff wasn't nearly as popular. So, we aren't used to dealing with these issues. I fear these sort of posts may cross the line into bullying, and I do not want that to happen. Some people have been reposting things which are in the Cracked comments, which I find kind of questionable since our communities are so closely connected.

Currently, our threads which fall under this umbrella are the SJW thread linked above, the idiots thread, bizarre and inexplicable thread, and perhaps the politicians say the darndest things thread.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: SJW thread/cringe/mockery

Postby sunglasses » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:49 pm

i'm kinda ok with the politicians thread as politicians are public figures.

However, if we decide to purge the cringe threads, purge them all.

Edit: I also want to state that there is a big difference in my mind between looking at something on youtube and going wtf is going on here and saying that John Doe is a dick. John Doe could easily google his name and find out that someone here has said some really fucking rude things about it. This can be considered bullying by John Doe. This has happened here when someone titled a thread about an author they didn't care for.

I personally would not care for people screenshotting my FB posts and mocking them.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:55 pm

I think the word "absurdity" indicates that there's going to be some mockery and extremism involved. Personally, I love it the way it is and don't think it needs to be reigned in. There's nothing to indicate that our "don't be a dick" policy isn't in full swing there, so I don't see any real problems.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby 52xMax » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:12 pm

How about we remove the names when we're dealing with unknowns? and if it is a public figure we're discussing, let's stay off material that's supposed to be private.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby sunglasses » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:24 pm

FB does have similar rules, Max. If you screenshot a post someone made you are required to cover/blackout the name and ideally the avatar of that person before reposting.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:41 pm

Requiring sources in the SJW thread seems like a reasonable measure. It would make it easier to avoid getting our panties bunched over satire or something that was meant completely differently in context (say, as a description of a belief that they then proceed to critique). It would also make privacy issues easier to navigate--for instance, if a screenshot was taken of a private post and made public without that person's knowledge, looking up the original source would reveal that.

Beyond that, the only real sticking point as far as I'm concerned is enforcement of already existing rules. As Sunny pointed out, there's a difference between mocking an idea and insulting the person proposing it. My understanding is that personal attacks are already cause for a mod-voice warning here, even when directed at nonmembers like certain Cracked authors. In some cases, though, this doesn't seem to happen in the SJW thread. I'm not on the staff so I can't say why that is, but given how rapidly posts accrue in the thread it might just need more frequent mod attention.

I haven't read the other threads you refer to, so I can't comment on those.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:48 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby sunglasses » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:50 pm

Crimson, if you're seeing personal attacks I would recommend using the report button.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:19 pm

What exactly is a "cringe thread"? Posting gross/shocking content merely for the sake of making people cringe isn't really something I see going on around here. Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention?

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:23 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:What exactly is a "cringe thread"? Posting gross/shocking content merely for the sake of making people cringe isn't really something I see going on around here. Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention?

It's not that kind of shock content, but somewhat similar. It's a form of humor which mainly involves marveling at how awkward, weird, or wrong some people can be. It's like the phenomenon of ironically watching bad movies, which we often do for movie night.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Taluun » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:26 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:What exactly is a "cringe thread"? Posting gross/shocking content merely for the sake of making people cringe isn't really something I see going on around here. Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention?

A cringe thread, to my understanding, is a thread in which people post things that make them cringe or they think are cringeworthy.

The purpose isnt to makr others cringe, its to share things that make us cringe.

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:30 pm

I personally feel that the SJW thread and related ones can go either way. I think, if you post things publicly online then they're sort of fair game for other people to disagree with and even think they're stupid. I do however find institutionalising that ire a little uncomfortable. I have posted in such threads, mainly where I see a point to doing so other that "omg what a moron" and if I see something totally absurd like that profile I posted before that was totally a joke profile and I just thought it was trying to be the epitome of the whole sanic mntn dw mlg pro thing.

I think we might do well to limit ourselves to issues of public policy. I find social justice and related things annoying and worth commenting on when it becomes an issue which affects other people. So things like University policies on microaggressions and rules that might be passed that are either hilariously discriminatory or deliberately couched in SJW terms. I'd also consider things like the Stephanie Guthrie court case we looked at over twitter harassment claims to be pretty much fair game too, given court cases aren't exactly private documents.

What I'm less comfortable with is trolling for people's blogs and private information, highlighting opinions we disagree with and singling them out for mocking. As much as we don't indulge in attacking the people usually, it isn't more than a short skip and a jump from "haha your opinion is stupid" to "haha you're stupid" and it starts to get seedy and unpleasant.

I suppose a good general rule for me would be, would you be prepared to say the same about their opinion to their face? If you can, then it's probably fine, but if you're not prepared to notionally say that to their face, then maybe it's just hurtful mocking. I don't think mocking is a neutral activity and I think it can very very easily lead to bullying.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:37 pm

I'm not stopping with the Haroldisms Image

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Postby sunglasses » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:54 pm

As long as Harold isn't his real name, I personally don't have an issue with it.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby LaChaise » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:59 pm

Poor Harold...

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Next