Private Messages

Got a suggestion how we can improve? Post it here.

Private Messages

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:40 pm

So I just realized I had 63 pages of PMs in my inbox since I forget to delete them.

1500 old PMs in my inbox. Most of them were mafia based.

So, is there anyway to have PMs that have been read automatically be deleted after so many days?

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Re: Private Messages

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:43 pm

...at least ones that haven't been moved into an "I'm saving this" folder. I'd like the ability to search my PM's by sender and keyword. Would that be difficult to implement?

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Learned Nand » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:46 pm

There doesn't seem to be a way to search PM's or a mod to do it. You can download them as a CSV and search that, but obviously that's pretty clunky. I'll see what would be required for a PM Search function.

As for deleting them, I'm not sure why this would be necessary?

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Marcuse » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:49 pm

You can set rules to direct incoming PMs into inboxes based on the content of their title. It wouldn't tidy up existing ones, but you might have a specific title for a mafia game, and create a rule for a new folder that moved everything titled "Space game" into that folder. Which might make it easier to manage than a bloated inbox.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:02 pm

Idk, maybe I just realized that all the sent messages were still there. All 1607 of them. I had a mild panic.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:08 pm

Marcuse wrote:You can set rules to direct incoming PMs into inboxes based on the content of their title. It wouldn't tidy up existing ones, but you might have a specific title for a mafia game, and create a rule for a new folder that moved everything titled "Space game" into that folder. Which might make it easier to manage than a bloated inbox.

There's always someone who doesn't title their mafia PMs properly, though.
I usually do create a folder for a game, but so as not to have to look in two places I just manually move mafia PMs into it from my inbox after I've read them.

I'd really, really rather PMs weren't automatically deleted. If there was a user-configurable option for it that would be great for those who do want that, but I really don't want things to just randomly be deleted unless I remember to save them. It wouldn't be the end of the world as it ought to be possible to set up a rule to direct all incoming messages to another folder, which could then act as an inbox without deleting my stuff, but that would be kind of annoying.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Marcuse » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:30 pm

There's always someone who doesn't title their mafia PMs properly, though.

You can set rules for something like a particular phrase though. If you set it for like mafia, then anything with mafia in it would be sent there, even if it wasn't "evil gibbon mafia 2: electric boogaloo"

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:38 pm

Marcuse wrote:You can set rules for something like a particular phrase though. If you set it for like mafia, then anything with mafia in it would be sent there

Yes, but mafia-related PMs might be titled 'lynching' or 'night kill' or 'RP' or '[name of a player we're discussing]'. Even if people start out specifying 'Mafia: [subject]' they usually get more and more slapdash as the game progresses.

I don't have any mafia PMs hanging around - deleted Discworld last week - but with Survivor I started out with 'Survivor: Tribal Council vote', then progressed through 'Tribal council' to just 'council' the last few days.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:15 pm

So then what's the common word there? Council. Use like council as a rule and everything titled any of those things would get put in there. Council is an uncommon enough word that you could use it during the game and drop it afterward and probably not much that shouldn't be there would be there.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:30 pm

Yes but that's only the PMs about tribal council, not every PM about the game. And in a mafia game it's usually more communication about more subjects than this game entails.

There's precisely zero elements that all the PMs in a typical mafia game have in common, and even if there was you don't know what you're going to talk about before it happens, and you're never going to get all of them so you still have to check your inbox - trying to separate them automatically just means you have to check two places and if you get a lot of PMs anyway you're more likely to miss the ones that fall through.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Matt the Czar » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:37 pm

If you delete them all, how do I use them against you in a petty argument I want to win dire situation?

"Operation Prepare Your Anus is considered to have been the most thoughtfully planned and masterfully executed humanitarian intervention in American history."-DTanza, alternatehistory.com

Now as a very moral person, I would never sell a pot brownie to a toddler.
I.. I would just GIVE it to them.- CMSellers.
Matt the Czar
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:21 am

1). I use a single folder for Mafia, it filters anything *Mafia* into it. As such I try to include the word mafia in all mafia related PMs I have. I manually move PMs that don't contain the word mafia in it to there later, then vow to set that person on fire later for mildly inconveniencing me when they had no way to know they were doing so.

2). I want more PM folders, I'm capped right now, with a total of 4, plus the default inbox. I know I suggested increasing that awhile ago, I don't know if it was increased, or if it's even possible. Just throwing that out there again.

3). I don't think there's a way to configure things to auto-delete PMs, with the exception of when you run out of storage space (and I haven't a clue what that limit is). The fastest way to delete things would be to go to a folder, select "mark all" then "delete marked." This will only mark the PMs on the current page of that inbox/folder. Give it a quick scan to see if you want to keep any, then move those to a folder for that purpose. (You will need to move those first, then delete the other PMs second, and it will need to be done as two different actions). To move a PM mark it, then select "move marked to <folder>" and voila, shit gets moved. Move the shit you want to keep, then mass delete the shit you don't want. It'll probably take some time, but there ya go.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:33 am

Dr. Ambiguous wrote:2). I want more PM folders, I'm capped right now, with a total of 4, plus the default inbox. I know I suggested increasing that awhile ago, I don't know if it was increased, or if it's even possible.

It was increased. I got a PM about it from either Avi or Marcuse, because I'd been talking on the thread where it was suggested as well and confused them into thining it was me that wanted that. I think it's 10 now?

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:54 am

Aww, no one ever told me. :(

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:04 pm

{{{Ambi}}}

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep