Cartoon night

Got a suggestion how we can improve? Post it here.

Re: Cartoon night

Postby D-LOGAN » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:21 am

Grimstone wrote:Well, an upvote is certainly a strange way to disapprove of something

Indeed it would be. However an upvote may just be amongst many other possibilities liking how someone said something. It doesn't have only mean- I AGREE WITH THIS SUGESTION or I DISAGREE WITH THIS SUGESTION HENCE MY UPVOTE!
... a mod literally just said she has gotten lax about enforcing the rules and likes the idea

Yeah, which shows that they've chanced their stance rather than they're doing it because of the person who suggested it.
... no mods have spoken out against the idea despite suggesting we watch non public domain cartoons.. what more proof do you want that people aren't against it?

I count 3 who've said it should be in the public domain
Edit-*TWO! I mistook someone who isn't one, for one*
(Cobra brought the idea up in discord as well to express approval from mods but I'm sure that also means nothing so why am I even playing this game).

Well you shoulda started with that bruv.
Marcuse wrote:Personally I'm against the public broadcast of copyrighted material on a platform we control because even if it's only going 5mph over the speed limit it's still enough for some asshole to pull us over and cause us way more trouble than a cartoon is worth. Public domain stuff, knock yourselves out.

Yeah ditto, I wouldn't be up for stuff that'd be breaking any laws or what have you. Surely there must be plenty of shows that it'd be perfectly legit to choose from.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Grimstone » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:33 am

D-LOGAN wrote:
... no mods have spoken out against the idea despite suggesting we watch non public domain cartoons.. what more proof do you want that people aren't against it?

I count 3 who've said it should be in the public domain

No mods had issued any warnings or came out against the idea when I wrote that. Only after this back and forth of ours has a mod said they're against it and even then not as a mod but 'personally'.

Last edited by Grimstone on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby D-LOGAN » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:43 am

Why would they issue a warning? It's just someone making a suggestion.

And given you were the third post and the first post by a mod, which was the fifth right after my own mine, was one that suggested it probably would be best to be in Public domain. I think expecting immediate mod lockdown within two posts is excessive.

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:53 am

Just to clarify, when I say personally, I mean it to specify that this is my opinion, not the opinion of staff as a whole. However, it is me speaking as an admin, because it's the position I will adopt and promote in official discussions about this issue and related ones regarding movie nights etc.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:06 am

D-LOGAN wrote:I think expecting immediate mod lockdown within two posts is excessive.

And I never said that it should get locked down just that the mod/admin responses have been lacking(ranging from absent, to tacit approval, to 'I think it should be public domain but eh whatever/not sure'). Anyway, this has dragged on long enough.

Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:13 am

Grimstone wrote:And I never said that it should get locked down

No I didn't mean lock the thread, I meant like them swooping down like condors to put the kibosh on the notion within two posts of it being first suggested like omni-present overseers of one voice and purpose!

just that the mod/admin responses have been lacking(ranging from absent, to tacit approval, to 'I think it should be public domain but eh whatever/not sure').

Yeah, they're not a hive mind and frankly this all struck me as just a casual suggestion someone was making so I wouldn't have expected immediate official responses all with total unity.

Anyway, this has dragged on long enough.

Yeah ... particularly given we're discussing watching cartoons ... hoo-boy. Sometimes you really just need to snap out of it don't ya?

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:23 am

D-LOGAN wrote:Yeah, they're not a hive mind and frankly this all struck me as just a casual suggestion someone was making so I wouldn't have expected immediate official responses all with total unity.

It was posted over 40 days ago and until just recently not a single mod said anything about the suggestion that we watch cartoons(all of which suggested are not in the public domain). When I suggested showing/watching something that wasn't in the public domain I immediately got official mod text warnings and accusations of piracy so I guess my expectations of how such suggestions should be handled are based on that.

Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:33 am

Grimstone wrote:It was posted over 40 days ago and until just recently not a single mod said anything about the suggestion that we watch cartoons(all of which suggested are not in the public domain).

I'm not sure how long the post's been there is much of a factor, I certainly don't take notice of every thread, and I'd be surprised if any one did, it could of been sitting there much longer.

And remember YOU were the THIRD post, it's not like a conversation had been going on with several people going back and forth including mods.
And it should be pointed out as much as possible, the first post from a mod was to advise against it.

When I suggested showing/watching something that wasn't in the public domain I immediately got official mod text warnings and accusations of piracy so I guess my expectations of how such suggestions should be handled are based on that.

I don't know what to tell you, I'd also have advised against breaking any laws, but truth be told it hadn't occurred to me when I made my first post, I just saw CARTOOOOOONS and went with that without thinking. But it has been suggested that it's a bad idea by mods, which I agree with, and one mod has clarified their change in stance is because their opinion has softened over time not due to who was making the suggestion.

All strikes me as being above board.

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:56 am

D-LOGAN wrote:
When I suggested showing/watching something that wasn't in the public domain I immediately got official mod text warnings and accusations of piracy so I guess my expectations of how such suggestions should be handled are based on that.

I don't know what to tell you, I'd also have advised against breaking any laws

If I own a copy of the movie I can show it to whoever I want(as long as it doesn't constitute a 'public performace').

Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:00 am

I dunno man, I assume there's all kinds of rules and whatnot, especially as we're all from different countries which probably have different laws.

I'm generally an air on the side of caution type dude.

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:08 am

Air on the side of caution? Air? Like the shit I'm supposed to be breathing? Or as in broadcasting? Broadcasting on the side of caution?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Grimstone » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:25 am

D-LOGAN wrote:I dunno man, I assume there's all kinds of rules and whatnot, especially as we're all from different countries which probably have different laws.

Pretty sure the different countries with different laws is their own issue and doesn't apply to those of us inside the U.S.

Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Kate » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:48 am

It was never against the rules to suggest something like this, it was just (and still is) not the policy to do it. To be clear, my lax nature is not about enforcing the rules but about saying explicitly, "that would be nice but it isn't feasible for x reasons." If there were links to illegal streaming or downloads, that would be different, but a suggestion or request is not against the rules. What exactly would the warning be?

Eta after seeing newer replies: I apologize for this, but I genuinely do not recall official warnings to anyone for suggestions about what to watch.

Eta 2 found it. It might be better to continue this discussion in private, but I want to try and clarify here that it is okay to make suggestions for what you would like to see and do, even if they are things we can't do, though yes, mods should have responded sooner to point out why it is difficult to do. It gets murkier when you post plans to do things we can't host for liability reasons.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby Grimstone » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:04 am

I remember reading it as an explicit rule in at least one of the suggestion threads and getting a warning citing it's against the rules to link to illegal websites(even though I didn't link to an illegal website it was assumed that I would because the movie isn't in the public domain).

Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:41 am

Grim, if you'd like to further discuss the way things were handled when you made a similar suggestion then I suggest PMing either myself or another member of the mod team. For now I'll just say that the current official policy is to only use public domain content for this sort of thing. I'll also add that I'm personally against using copyrighted content in any sort of illegal manner. I think cartoon night is a good idea, I just think it should be exclusively public domain content or content otherwise authorized for use in such a manner.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

PreviousNext