Who are these "moderator" people, anyway?

Got a problem? We may be able to fix it for you. Talk to us dammit.

Re: Who are these "moderator" people, anyway?

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:52 pm

FaceTheCitizen wrote:Hello.

I'm a mod again. For those of who you don't know/remember, I used to be a moderator for a few years until I resigned because I wanted to be a regular user. However, when Tess said she was looking for some new mods in a thread, I sent her a PM saying I'd be happy to come out of retirement to help out.

So, here I am. The king's back, baby.

When I use mod voice, my color will be this.

Couldn't you just have the same joy of being a "regular user" by simply not talking in your "mod voice" unless some pretty hasty things happen which force you to? Or is this retiring thing something that has to be done to be able to not comment on any potential breach of rules?

Is it a quota thing? How does it work?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:46 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:09 pm

FaceTheCitizen wrote:
DoglovingJim wrote:Couldn't you just have the same joy of being a "regular user" by simply not talking in your "mod voice" unless some pretty hasty things happen which force you to? Or is this retiring thing something that has to be done to be able to not comment on any potential breach of rules?

Is it a quota thing? How does it work?

No. Being a mod means taking on certain responsibilities, so you don’t really have the joy of being a regular user.

The retiring thing was simply a personal thing. There is no quota, no protocol. I did it because I wanted to. But now I’m back.

At least until the mod staff find out about my plans to overthrow them.

So what sort of responsibilities would a moderator have (apart from I guess scanning the threads to settle disputes/ban annoying people)? Is there any of that technical work in running a forum? Do moderators conduct meetings to discuss implementing new rules or finally creating a new forum section (such as a certain sports section)?

And what would be the requirements of a moderator (apart from being able to become an impartial arbitrator and enforce the rules of the forum when necessary)?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:43 pm

Well to start with, I know that moderators have to report on our behavior to the CIA, SIS, and Illuminati. They have to compile a dossier on every one of us every two weeks.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:36 pm

We have technical people on staff who have no moderator duties, although some people with moderator abilities help with the technical side sometimes. We could actually always use more backend people, so if anyone wants to apply for that position please do so.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:35 pm

Heh heh, back end position.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:57 pm

You're not the only one to have that thought. Did you never notice that avi's flair used to be "TCS butt inspector"?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Cordslash » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:48 pm

So is Creepy a mod now too?

If so then my commiserations are in order. Oh wait, congratulations.
Because that's totally what I meant.

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:04 pm

Why yes I am!

Hi, I am IamNotCreepy. Like the name suggests, I am not creepy.

My mod color is this.

Laissez bon temps rouler!

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby DinoVader » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:19 pm

I, too, am now a mod. I probably don't have a terribly large forum presence, so for "newer" members, hello, I am me. On the other hand, if you're on chat, you've probably seen me. I've held the weird quasi-staff position of chat operator for years (which is to say, I've never actually been a proper staff member, but I've had the vast authority of telling people to be nice on chat and shoo them off if they weren't).

I have finally achieved my goal of world domination now joined the staff in a proper sense, so I now also have the vast authority of telling people to be nice and shoo them if they're not in forum posts too. My mod color will probably be something like this until I forget which one I picked and then something just kinda close to it. I promise to be a just and fair ruler and will try to always just sentence people to life in the iso cubes as opposed to the death penalty.

<ToBeKateinued>a cloaca is an asshole the way that 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner is a shampoo.
DinoVader
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Private incestigator

Postby Piter Lauchy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:20 am

IamNotCreepy wrote:Why yes I am!

Hi, I am IamNotCreepy. Like the name suggests, I am not creepy.

My mod color is this.

Laissez bon temps rouler!

I was going to upvote you, but then you spoke French.

Congrats, Creep and Dino!

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Previous