Username Taken

Got a problem? We may be able to fix it for you. Talk to us dammit.

Username Taken

Postby skooma » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:33 pm

I tried registering for irc for the first time and it says my username is taken. Since we're encouraged to register with our TCS usernames, this seems odd. If this happens, for whatever reason, should we just tack on a number, or what's a good idea?

Skooma seems the type of person to chase me down and force me at gun point to receive their encomium with good graces. ~Jack Road

* I got caught in the crossfire of one of skooma's fucking frisbees ~Sister Morphine
skooma
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: The Lightning

Re: Username Taken

Postby Marcuse » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:36 pm

The thing with esper.net is that it's a pretty big public server, so we share names across the entire network. Skooma is a common addictive drug made from moon sugar in Skyrim, so it's not inconceivable that someone else registered the nick. I'd suggest something like _skooma or skooma_ as an alternative, or using numbers works too. Whatever works for you.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:37 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:46 pm

Skoom of Doom?

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:30 pm

Like Marcuse said, our chat room is on a big public server with about 10,000 or so users. Meaning sometimes usernames are already taken. Underscores or numbers are a good solution when this is the case. That said, I just checked, and the username "skooma" is not registered on IRC. I'm not sure what happened earlier to make you think that, but that's just not currently the case. I'd suggest registering ASAP so you can secure your name before it does happen to get registered by someone else.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby skooma » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:36 pm

Dr. Ambiguous wrote:That said, I just checked, and the username "skooma" is not registered on IRC. I'm not sure what happened earlier to make you think that, but that's just not currently the case. I'd suggest registering ASAP so you can secure your name before it does happen to get registered by someone else.

Aha, damn my weird allergy to following directions right. Also went to a thing out of town on the wrong day yesterday. I'd blame the eclipse, but I know how I am.

Skooma seems the type of person to chase me down and force me at gun point to receive their encomium with good graces. ~Jack Road

* I got caught in the crossfire of one of skooma's fucking frisbees ~Sister Morphine
skooma
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: The Lightning

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:36 am

Well, I'm not certain if it's that you didn't follow the directions correctly or not. It's possible that it WAS registered and someone released it, it's possible someone tried to register it, and didn't complete the account verification in time (if it's not done within 24 hours of registering then the account expires). And it is possible that you did do something incorrectly.

Regardless, I just checked, and you are registered, and your account is verified. As such, I've added auto-voice to your account. In case you're not sure what that is, it means when you login to you account you get voiced (meaning you can talk) automatically and don't need to wait for an OP (IRC mods basically) to give you voice. Right now, we have it set so that you don't need voice to talk, so it's currently not needed, but it's there for if/when we decide to change it.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi