Cannot post so soon

Got a problem? We may be able to fix it for you. Talk to us dammit.

Cannot post so soon

Postby sunglasses » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:35 pm

When did this start?

what..PNG
what..PNG (56.21 KiB) Viewed 6855 times

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Re: Cannot post so soon

Postby Marcuse » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:45 pm

I'm pretty sure it's always been there, but the time is very short because I think it's an inbuilt measure to prevent copypasta spamming.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:48 pm

Marcuse wrote:I'm pretty sure it's always been there, but the time is very short because I think it's an inbuilt measure to prevent copypasta spamming.

Oh ok.

I've just never had it happen to me before.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:48 pm

It has happened to me often, but waiting 30 seconds is generally enough. (albeit what's written can be lost)

Edit: Yes, it's saved if you hit "back."

Last edited by Edgar Cabrera on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:52 pm

Yeah, I get it sometimes when I've been writing things for different threads in different tabs, and finish them both at once.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Australia » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:26 pm

I never read it properly and just assumed the computer knew I was making a joke "too soon", like my comment about how I wouldn't be surprised if redacted and banned, you fucking sociopath with a javelin up either of their colons.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:45 pm

Australia wrote:redacted and banned, you fucking sociopath with a javelin up either of their colons.

You, sir, are one giant, sick fuck, sir. You, sir, should be proud of yourself.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:56 pm

Edgar Cabrera wrote:It has happened to me often, but waiting 30 seconds is generally enough (albeit what's written can be lost).

Geez, what browser are you using?

Every browser I've used for the past decade will save what you've written in a textbox if you hit "back." Not autosave, which requires you to submit and can be disabled, but merely note what you've written such that you can still access it if you navigate back.

Mind you, I haven't used any version of Internet Explorer since middle school (I used Netscape more recently than I used IE), though I've read that apparently some parts of the world still use IE6, the pinnacle of bad browser design.

David Wong wrote:7. "But this is the last non-terrible forum on the internet! The rest are full of trolls and Nazis!"

That's just not true at all.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Learned Nand » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:40 pm

I looked it up on the Administration Control Panel, and the time is 15 seconds. It can be changed or disabled, and certain user groups can be made not subject to it, but that seems more than reasonable; even with my reasonably quick typing speed, I've almost never run into it.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:44 pm

It can be a pain when trying to send batches of PMs, that can't be sent as one PM to many recipients for whatever reason, but that's almost the only time.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:16 am

Edgar Cabrera wrote:It has happened to me often, but waiting 30 seconds is generally enough. (albeit what's written can be lost)

Edit: Yes, it's saved if you hit "back."

I cannot say this enough, always, always, copy your text before hitting either submit, preview, or save draft. There's always the off change that something might go wrong and you'll lose what you wrote. The back button usually will save you, but sometimes that will fail you too. All you need to do:

ctrl a (highlight all text)
ctrl c (copy highlighted text)

and if you want:

ctrl v (paste copied text)

At least copy your post to your clipboard before doing anything, if it's a big post you spent time on, paste it in a notepad doc or something.

As for not being able to post so soon, I've only once ever had that issue.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby 52xMax » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:02 pm

The only time that's happened to me is when the website hiccups and posts twice when I hit submit, so I get that message and the "there are new replies since you started writing because you take way too long redacting comments, you idiot", so I look above and my comment is already posted... so all this time I thought that measure was in place to prevent duplicates.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise