Error 1203

Got a problem? We may be able to fix it for you. Talk to us dammit.

Error 1203

Postby LaChaise » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:12 am

I've been getting this error for a couple days:

I googled it a bit and got this thread among others. It looks like it could be a problem with the forum being on a shared server that happens to be overcrowded at the moment. From what I understand, it could be resolved by contacting them but I have no idea how this hosting wizardry actually works so yeah, good luck with that o honorable derrière slaves priests!

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Re: Error 1203

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:45 am

I get that occasionally. Usually waiting a couple of minutes and then trying again gets me in to the forum.

Of course, why it's happening, I have no idea. The derriere slaves are no doubt on the case. Does it happen a lot? I'd guess I get it once a week or so.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:47 pm

Ah, the old max_user_connections. There was a while when it popped up all the time and lasted ages (we were under heavy spammer attack at the time), now it's just from time to time and only lasts a few minutes. Also if it pops up when you have a load of tabs open, closing some sometimes seems to make the difference.

Since we still see it on a regular basis, I guess we're about at the top of the amount of traffic our hosting package is designed to handle - and if we grow at all it'll only get worse (plus if anyone ever decided to DOS attack us, they'd have the easiest time in the world, but I've no reason to think anyone would). I doubt there's any way to solve it other than getting our maximum allowance of simultaneous database connections increased, and that probably costs.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:59 pm

Why it happens is that threads and posts and everything else are stored in a database, to which the server has to connect to get them out. The more requests for posts and so forth the server gets from us at once, the more connections it needs at once. Database connections take up resources so a limit is placed on the number of connections that can be active at one time. The username in the message, thecom36, looks like it's short for The Comment Section - i.e. it's our site's server/account trying to connect.

The limit can be set to anything at all, but it'll be the hosting company that have control. I don't know anything about our hosting company, but I'm sure they charge more per month to have a higher limit and they may well only allow a fixed number as part of a specific package, so that to get it increased would mean increasing our allowances of everything else too. Which we may need - we're getting this because we're getting more traffic than was allowed for when it was set up.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Learned Nand » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:03 am

OrangeEyebrows wrote:The derriere slaves are no doubt on the case.

That's "Admins Derriere", and unfortunately we're not for reasons carrie explained. BlueHost is only going to allow so much traffic to the site. We've exceeded that amount. If we want these errors to go away, somebody has to pay more.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Jack Road » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:32 pm

I smell a TCS Kickstarter.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby WaitYAmIHere » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:12 pm

Nah, that'll never happen. Kickstarter only takes cash and most of us can only pay in body parts, kosher salmon, cardboard boxes, free editing, or unicorns.

Wait... How did I get back here?
WaitYAmIHere
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: An imagination of a figment

Postby max_user_connections » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:35 pm

I take bribes.

general_error'); DROP TABLE reputation;--
max_user_connections
Resident Dickhead