President Trump asshole thread name change

Got a problem? We may be able to fix it for you. Talk to us dammit.

President Trump asshole thread name change

Postby Lindvaettr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:57 pm

As was discussed a lot in this thread, I and, I believe, a few others (and at least a couple mods, I think) don't think the title of the "President Trump makes himself an even BIGGER asshole" thread is very well-suited for the CAASS forum. While the thread title isn't against any rules (or any guidelines either, to my knowledge), it's also not particularly conducive to any type of meaningful discussion regarding Trump, his actions, his policies, etc.

The title of a thread, as I and others have mentioned, sets the tone for the discussion. The title of that thread sets the tone of "Shit on Trump", and the posts mostly follow that tone. Any real discussion seems to be short-lived and gets very little participation before the topic moves on to another post mocking Trump or his staff for something ludicrous, generally without any meaningful commentary about whatever Trump's just done. A lot of the posts could probably be summed up as "Here's a thing Trump did", only to be followed by another post, "Here's a totally different thing Trump did".

If that's the kind of thread we want, then the title is completely perfect and I'll drop the discussion. But in my own view, CAASS was meant to foster serious discussion about current events and issues, not about entire threads dedicated to mocking politicians (however deserving of mockery those politicians may be). From that perspective, I think it would be very helpful to change the name of the thread to something a bit more neutral, to help try to shift the tone towards something more serious.

Is this something worth any kind of discussion, or would everyone rather leave it as is? If we do leave it as-is, maybe there's a better forum for it, like General Discussion?

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Re: President Trump asshole thread name change

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:08 pm

Personally, I probably wouldn't have named the thread as it is. The only time I recall using a loaded title was the Steve Bannon thread and that's because I was parodying the thread title in question. I try to give my threads titles that are funny (something I rarely pull off), and failing that which are neutral and informative. I'd prefer that the OP change it to something more neutral.

However I believe that the title of the thread should be up to the OP, and would rather not have a mod do it.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:58 pm

This thread was a continuation of the similarly-titled thread when Trump's candidacy was a joke (before his Presidency was a joke).

I am fine with changing the title, but I am fine with the posts in the thread as they are. There are so many outrageous and ridiculous things to post about on a daily basis that it warrants its own thread. I think we can certainly put more serious discussions in separate threads (which we already do with things like the Russia probe and immigration).

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Kate » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:59 pm

I agree, I think that given that it's become our catch-all for Trump, it's a bad title. I mean, even without that, I think it would be a bad title. Even if something is supposed to be humorous, the guidelines do recommend keeping a neutral title. Someone who is a Trump voter will certainly not feel welcome that this is the Trump thread, and won't expect to find reasoned and civil discussion there (even though there is some!). If we want to be an echo chamber and discourage people with minority views from posting here, that works. But I don't think that's what we want.

Then again, I'm pretty biased, that thread makes me feel unwelcome even though I'm certainly not a Trump voter and I'm fairly critical of him. Even the thread for his candidacy made me very uncomfortable. His campaign was never a joke to some people and I fundamentally disagree with having threads in CAASS that are started with such a strong bias.

ETA: Sorry, just boilerplate "This is user Kate, not official admin staff opinion Kate"

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:09 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:18 am

Well, being the creator of the President Trump thread (though not the original Trump one), I guess I should chime in with my thoughts.

As Creepy said, the thread's title was in reference (and following a joke I made about it) to the thread made during Trump's campaign run -- not about his campaign in itself, but about the escalation of horrible, mind-numbing things he said and did during it. I don't think it's particularly partisan or unwelcoming to mark incidents like -- for example -- his insults toward various deceased soldiers and POWs "making himself a bigger asshole", regardless of one's political views. Maybe the original thread wasn't especially professional or befitting the CAASS forum, but it was a simpler time, when we A) weren't having so many arguments about thread titling, and B) considered Trump's run maybe not so much a joke as a depressing farce.

Now I don't consider it a funny title despite being spun off a joke -- to me, it's more a bitter statement of fact about the things posted in the thread -- and my intent in making it wasn't to make anyone feel unwelcome here, but I also don't feel it should necessarily be changed. Had anyone brought the issue up to me when it was still in its infancy, I would have stepped down and retitled it, but I only recall one complaint close to that and it was neither personal nor subforum neutrality-based; it was criticizing that it would no longer be constructive to have one Trump megathread instead of a load of smaller ones, but it was debated and people kept posting in the thread as it was, so I figured it was moot.

But after a year and over a hundred pages of posts, I don't consider it "my" thread despite starting it; it's more of a communal one. If the mods genuinely feel it should be retitled now, go for it. I'm just throwing in my opinion, and maybe a suggestion that it be put to a poll.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:35 am

I'd vote to rename it in a heartbeat. I think by now I've made it pretty clear that I don't care for that sort of thread titling, not for this current thread, not for the original one, and I really like the guidelines being followed. Yeah, I'm a bit of a stickler sometimes. I'd even be fine with locking that thread and creating a new Trump mega thread that sets a more productive tone in the title and OP. I'm not sure if that's better than just a name change or not, but I'd be fine with either.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:12 am

I'm on record saying that it's not a good title. But yeah, maybe the whole thread doesn't belong to CAASS; regardless of the title, it's not a serious discussion of Trump and his policies, it's just a list of the stupid and/or offensive things that he said and did. It's like the "politicians say the darndest things" thread but just for hím. Maybe we should start a new thread for serious discussion of Trump, his administration and his policies and leave this one as it is? Or move it into another section of the forum?

Last edited by Aquila89 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:13 am

"Trump, the president with the highest IQ and the bestest of words"

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Maybe we could start a "Donald Trump Quarantine Forum" and hide it from unregistered users so they don't know how much we talk about the manchild and run away screaming?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:10 pm

That's offensive to manchildren everywhere.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:12 pm

I don't see the problem. The thread is for Donald Trump creating exponentially bigger rectums in his lab with Dyad technology and more literal examples of his presidency and that's what the posts reflect. If you want to discuss positive results of his leadership, you can just make a seldom updated thread 'Donald Trump's tiny hands are put to good use for once' or something, right?

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:14 pm

Obviously the correct title for the pro-Trump thread is "President Trump Makes America Great (Again)."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:29 pm

Obviously speaking for myself.

On one hand, I agree that having a thread title that's so weighted against Trump means it's difficult to have a conducive discussion about him and his politics, such as they are. On the other, I won't die if it stays the same because by now I just think of it as the "Trump thread" and refer to it as such so the phrase "president trump makes himself an even bigger asshole" translates in my brain as "trump thread". It might be sensible to just call it the Trump thread and have done with it.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:18 pm

How about 'The doings of the Donald'

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Next