Sensationalism in CAaSS

Got a problem? We may be able to fix it for you. Talk to us dammit.

Re: Sensationalism in CAaSS

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:46 am

DoglovingJim wrote:
Marcuse wrote:
aviel wrote:
sunglasses wrote:But guidelines aren't rules. We do not impose warnings and bans for guideline violations.

Marcuse wrote:As far as I can see, because nobody has any idea about what "take a role" means.

From the CAaSS Guidelines:

TCS Staff wrote:First offense gets you a warning. Second gets the thread temporary locked. The third is a permanent lock.

The guidelines lay out the relevant standards, and their mechanism for enforcement.

I was actually in the process of updating that when you posted this. That statement appended at the base of a guideline post made in 2013 is and has been out of date for a number of years. Sunglasses is completely correct that no warnings or bans are or have been made as a result of not following the guidelines. We have amended this to:

In some cases, not complying with guidelines may lead to a lock, at moderator discretion

This more accurately reflects current operating procedure.

Personally I don't think it's outdated, much prefer that to the "current operating procedure" since it is straight forward and no vague. This potential update has the potential of being one-sided as some cases of non-compliance would lead to a lock and others would be perceived as fine, and that isn't very fair.

It's outdated because as Kate pointed out we don't have as many active staff members as we used to. During the holiday season, the only people on staff active were me, Marcuse, and Sunny. Most of us are busier people than we used to be, we aren't paid for this and can't monitor every thread.

I understand your concern about some threads being locked and others not being locked, but that would be the case no matter how the policy is written since enforcement is ultimately up to mod discretion.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:52 am

Tesseracts wrote:
DoglovingJim wrote:
Marcuse wrote:
aviel wrote:
sunglasses wrote:But guidelines aren't rules. We do not impose warnings and bans for guideline violations.

Marcuse wrote:As far as I can see, because nobody has any idea about what "take a role" means.

From the CAaSS Guidelines:

TCS Staff wrote:First offense gets you a warning. Second gets the thread temporary locked. The third is a permanent lock.

The guidelines lay out the relevant standards, and their mechanism for enforcement.

I was actually in the process of updating that when you posted this. That statement appended at the base of a guideline post made in 2013 is and has been out of date for a number of years. Sunglasses is completely correct that no warnings or bans are or have been made as a result of not following the guidelines. We have amended this to:

In some cases, not complying with guidelines may lead to a lock, at moderator discretion

This more accurately reflects current operating procedure.

Personally I don't think it's outdated, much prefer that to the "current operating procedure" since it is straight forward and no vague. This potential update has the potential of being one-sided as some cases of non-compliance would lead to a lock and others would be perceived as fine, and that isn't very fair.

It's outdated because as Kate pointed out we don't have as many active staff members as we used to. During the holiday season, the only people on staff active were me, Marcuse, and Sunny. Most of us are busier people than we used to be, we aren't paid for this and can't monitor every thread.

I understand your concern about some threads being locked and others not being locked, but that would be the case no matter how the policy is written since enforcement is ultimately up to mod discretion.

That gives me another question, why don't you guys get some more mods? Since once I think you were recruiting but then you stopped. CMSellers for example seems to be here a lot or Ladi96 who also seems like a pretty happy lady and I feel would make a good choice. I'm sure many would want to volunteer for such a privilege over how invested they are in this forum.

Kate wrote:And yes Jim, I'm a cat. But I like dogs too so hopefully that's okay!

Of course it's more than okay, I used to have a cat just like your profile picture. The only ranga I ever loved...

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:58 am

I don't have any problem with trusting in the discretion of individual moderators, especially considering that Step One is a warning, which would give the user a chance to make their case and rebut the need for a warning. It would absolutely be best if such conversations were conducted in this area of the forum, rather than have a linear discussion get broken down and redirected into a free-for-all nitpick about word definitions and other such petty semantics. That kind of bickering (while not unnecessary or irrelevant) can totally fuck up the mood of a conversation and have everyone on edge. Better to put all of that in a quarantined conversation like this one.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:00 am

DoglovingJim wrote:That gives me another question, why don't you guys get some more mods? Since once I think you were recruiting but then you stopped. CMSellers for example seems to be here a lot or Ladi96 who also seems like a pretty happy lady and I feel would make a good choice. I'm sure many would want to volunteer for such a privilege over how invested they are in this forum.

Why not you, then?

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:03 am

I have been considering adding more mods and there are a few people we have in consideration already. One of the issues is the forum is less active than it used to be. If you want to help you can try to recruit more active members then maybe I'll have more people to choose from in the future.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:15 am

FaceTheCitizen wrote:
Crimson847 wrote:Just to be clear, I'm speaking as an ornamental cactus.

When a mod says "I'm speaking as a user, not as a mod," it means they are not speaking in an official mod capacity, only giving their opinion and their opinion shouldn't be taken as an official stance in mod policy.

Nobody gets my sense of humor. :cry:

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:21 am

Crimson847 wrote:
FaceTheCitizen wrote:

When a mod says "I'm speaking as a user, not as a mod," it means they are not speaking in an official mod capacity, only giving their opinion and their opinion shouldn't be taken as an official stance in mod policy.

I understood it Crimson, gave me a chuckle since everyone else was declaring they were speaking as [insert something more formal] and there you were being a cactus.

Tesseracts wrote:I have been considering adding more mods and there are a few people we have in consideration already. One of the issues is the forum is less active than it used to be. If you want to help you can try to recruit more active members then maybe I'll have more people to choose from in the future.

Tesseracts perhaps you should just completely delete that thread I made since I misinterpreted what you were suggesting and it sticks out like a sore thumb, what did you mean though by trying to recruit more active members?

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:35 am

DoglovingJim wrote:
Crimson847 wrote:
FaceTheCitizen wrote:

I understood it Crimson, gave me a chuckle since everyone else was declaring they were speaking as [insert something more formal] and there you were being a cactus.

Tesseracts wrote:I have been considering adding more mods and there are a few people we have in consideration already. One of the issues is the forum is less active than it used to be. If you want to help you can try to recruit more active members then maybe I'll have more people to choose from in the future.

Tesseracts perhaps you should just completely delete that thread I made since I misinterpreted what you were suggesting and it sticks out like a sore thumb, what did you mean though by trying to recruit more active members?

Sorry, I meant we need more members on TCS, not that we need help recruiting members to be mods.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:55 am

Come on Jim, you can't just recruit new mods. There is a very special and arcane selection process, followed by trials, some kind of creepy ritual, and some kind of blood sacrifice.

These things take time.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:06 am

IamNotCreepy wrote:Come on Jim, you can't just recruit new mods. There is a very special and arcane selection process, followed by trials, some kind of creepy ritual, and some kind of blood sacrifice.

These things take time.

Hahahaha, I wasn't trying to recruit them. My intention was making something like an application of intent, so people could show if they were open to the idea of becoming a mod. And if the mods thought any of them were worthy then they would go through the required trials and blood sacrifice (not to mention the thunderdome, since only the strongest could become mods therefore they would have to get the applicants to fight to the death hence why we don't have as many active users anymore).

Oh well, feels awkward having that thread locked though since I'd prefer if it was erased from history completely.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:13 am

IamNotCreepy wrote:Come on Jim, you can't just recruit new mods. There is a very special and arcane selection process, followed by trials, some kind of creepy ritual, and some kind of blood sacrifice.

These things take time.

I thought you weren't creepy! Liar.

But seriously now that you bring it up Tess, I for one would be pleased to see the Trump thread's title changed, at the very least. "U.S. President/Politics News" or something, I'm not good with naming names ^^" Not blaming you Kleiner, iirc the name was just continuing from his election thread, but it still doesn't come across as a fair place for serious discussion on him or his staff/policies. Feels more and more like a sh*tposting thread :P I will stop here as it's not on topic, just felt like chiming in without having to report the thread or PM a mod, as that's more of a serious step

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:21 am

Ladki96 wrote:

These things take time.

I thought you weren't creepy! Liar.

But seriously now that you bring it up Tess, I for one would be pleased to see the Trump thread's title changed, at the very least. "U.S. President/Politics News" or something, I'm not good with naming names ^^" Not blaming you Kleiner, iirc the name was just continuing from his election thread, but it still doesn't come across as a fair place for serious discussion on him or his staff/policies. Feels more and more like a sh*tposting thread :P I will stop here as it's not on topic, just felt like chiming in without having to report the thread or PM a mod, as that's more of a serious step

It actually seems quite in topic as it is an example of this trend in sensationalist threads and biased-titles where different views are not as welcome. And it also has the benefit of stirring the discussion away from Damiana and unto the concept of such threads themselves which I prefer.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:46 am

DoglovingJim wrote:Damiana

*clicks the counter again*

Thirty-six

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:57 am

DamianaRaven wrote:
DoglovingJim wrote:Damiana

*clicks the counter again*

Thirty-six

*Has sudden wave of immaturity*

Damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana damiana.

Hahahahaha, you have to say 69 nowwwwww.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, surely you'd prefer the topic being more generalized for the concept of sensational threads themselves instead of centered solely to your threads. So I'm not sure what was your intention with the clicking thing, since I was voicing my eagerness for the topic to not be about you.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:08 am

*chuckles amiably* Seriously though, the best way to keep me out of this drama would be to stop bringing up my name. I know you meant well and I'm sorry that you feel chastened by my impatience, but enough is e-fucking-nough.

A'ight? *looks around pointedly at everyone* Let's all just get it out of our systems one last time, if necessary. If not, let's move on, shall we?

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext