My Weight Loss Journey

What do you do with your free time?

My Weight Loss Journey

Postby octoberpumpkin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Sorry if this belongs somewhere else, I'm still getting used to where to put what!

There's a program for the Nintendo DS called My Weight Loss Coach. I tried it a few years ago and it worked, although slowly. It is not the most accurate program, if you prefer very accurate, but it's what worked the best for me because it was made fun and gave me visual motivation that I responded to. So it's really a matter of what works best for you.

So I decided I would keep track of my stuff here and people can join in or comment or just watch and see how it's progressing. I've been having some eating problems lately as well so maybe this will help with that too. It gets updated every day so I'll post up my first day tonight!

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Re: My Weight Loss Journey

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:13 pm

octoberpumpkin wrote:I'm still getting used to where to put what!

heh.

*hangs head in shame*

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:35 pm

It might fit in this thread. Ask a mod if you want to merge them.

And good luck, you can do it.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby octoberpumpkin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:58 pm

I didn't want to take over that thread with my stuff everyday since that's more of a communal thread, but if it would fit better there it can go there

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:16 pm

This thread can stand as it's own thing. It fits in the hobbies forum because it's about your journey in particular. It also fits in the other weight loss thread, but it's up to you. Whatever is going to help you the most is the best thing.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:53 pm

Is that software more.... nice than Wii Fit? I tried Wii Fit for a while but got sick of being shamed for not reaching my target weight at my target date.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby octoberpumpkin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:09 pm

It's incredibly friendly. I had to delete my old file to start new because I stopped when I got caught up in life stuff, so it's been a loooooooooooooooooong time (like 1.5-2 years) and the character was just like "OH NICE TO SEE YOU AGAIN! Please try to come more regularly~~"

I tried Wii fit too but it also was not my cup of tea. I need positive reinforcement, that's what works for me!

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:16 am

June 10th!

So since we were just getting started, I had to do some intro and tutorial stuff and I'll let all of you guys know how it works as well!

The first thing you do is select your gender, and tell them your age, height, and weight

Then they will give you a goal weight for the next 30 days. If you miss it, it's no biggy, they'll just take your weight at the end of the 30 days and give you a new goal! This game is very friendly and forgiving which works for some people. If you prefer a more aggressive style of motivation, this game is probably not for you

So my goal weight for 30 days is 214 lbs. Let's see how we can do!

The first thing they'll make you do is drink a big glass of water and walk 500 steps to check your pedometer. I don't have a pedometer with the game, so I use my iPod. That's okay, you can manually insert the number of steps you did as well. Sure, this lets you lie, but if you do that, you're only hurting yourself.

From there the game has four things to do.

Number 1: Steps

You will have a daily goal on steps. I messed up today because I thought it was 5000 steps, but they wanted 6000, making me short 500 (since I did the 500 when I started my profile). Oh well, it's the first day! You can probably do 6000 steps in about an hour or so.

Number 2: Challenges

They explain the challenges since I just started. Everyday you pick AT LEAST one challenge and up to 6 (although you can do more if you want, you just won't get stamps for it). There are four kinds of envelopes to choose from and four categories.

The four envelope types:
BLUE envelopes are activity challenges
GREEN envelopes are food and health challenges
WHITE are challenges related to coaching sessions (we will see that in a bit)
PINK are surprise challenges. You cannot see these before accepting

That brings us to the four types of challenges, as shown in the image above.
24 HOUR FOOD CHALLENGES are something related to food (or health) that you have 24 hours to complete
MINUTE FOOD CHALLENGES are something related to food (or health) that you do immediately
24 HOUR ACTIVITY CHALLENGES are something related to exercise that you have 24 hours to complete
MINUTE ACTIVITY CHALLENGES are something related to exercise that you do immediately

The first tutorial exercise challenge I received was:

Simple enough, I completed it and stamped it

Then I received a 24 hour food challenge:

So no adding salt to my food for 24 hours. Also simple enough considering I ate a lot of fatty foods today.

Once I completed both of these challenges, I got my first COACHING SESSION!

Coaching sessions are little questionnaires where the game gets to know you a bit better so it can customize challenges to your personal needs. That's what the white envelopes I was talking about are.

My first one was figuring out how much walking and running I do, as opposed to driving and such.

I got the middle result meaning I walk, but I could do more. They then gave me some tips and advice and asked what type of challenges related to this I would like to receive

Number 3: Exercise

After this comes the exercise portion. I've actually been jogging daily but didn't today because it was absurdly hot. So instead I did at least 30 minutes of walking. I actually probably did closer to an hour, but I'd rather underestimate than overestimate and they want you to do at least 30 minutes of exercise a day

Number 4: Food

After that came the food section. Here you report what you ate. This is the least accurate section of the game as they only have limited amounts of food to choose from. So what I do is check the calorie content of something and find the equivalent in their options. It still isn't the most accurate but it will do

I ate a lot today because I've actually been under-eating to the point of unhealthyness so I ate a bunch of my favourite foods today to encourage myself

I had:
A cup of banana yogurt
A banana
7 jalapeno poppers with berry sauce
Poutine (fries, cheese, gravy)
And part of a quesaddila

This led to 42 food points, which was 2100 calories. 1 food point is equal to about 50 calories.

The balance shown there is how many points I get from exercise vs how many I get from food. Ideally they should be close with the food being slightly less. That's right, this game won't give you your checkmark of completion if you don't eat enough as well as if you eat too much! So if you want that extra slice of pie, do more exercise! And if you do more exercise, you need more food as well. Hopefully healthier food than what I had here, which will usually be the case.

So for the first day I got 3/4 check marks which isn't too bad! Also, this game gives you points in the form of distance. So like, doing a challenge might give you 1 mile. Eventually it will show you you have enough points that you walked the grand canyon or something like that. I wanted to explain that so when you see distance traveled, it isn't how far I've walked, it's just points.

So this update was a bit longer than most will be because tutorial stuff, but I will report here again tomorrow!

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:33 am

June 11th!

Steps:

Today I have completed my 6000 steps by a combination of dancing and jogging!

Challenges:
This one was easy because I do dishes everyday anyway!

And the challenge was to do 15, which I completed!

With that I gained enough points to get my first milestone!

GO ME!

Exercise:

Today I danced to 10 songs in Just Dance, 5 at a time. I put down 2 minutes for each song, totaling 20 minutes. Most songs are longer but I forgot to time myself and I would rather underestimate, especially since even though I picked the full versions of the songs, I have no idea if they cut them short or not.

I also realized that dancing is a good way to get in my steps! I got about 3400 out of the dancing, which left less for jogging and walking. So I did a total of 14 minutes of jogging

And yes, I looked like her by the end of it!

Food:
As for my food, I ate a lot this evening because it was my boyfriend's car club meeting

It was about 2450 calories

ImageImage

YAY! Again, this program is not the most accurate, but it's good encouragement and it shows me I'm heading in the right direction. Besides, 20 minutes of dancing and 14 minutes of jogging can't be that bad, right?

Let's see how tomorrow goes!

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:07 am

June 12th

Steps:

So today they wanted 5000 steps and I did 6000. I need to get myself sorted!

Challenges:

The first one was easy and the second one, I will be honest, I only made it 10 minutes. I was pretty done by the end of the day.

Exercise:

Well I had my 10 minutes of exercise from the challenge and

Over 30 minutes of dancing and jogging, but I'll underestimate to be on the safe side

Food:

I actually did not have enough food, so I added myself a snack of cheese and crackers to get balanced. 2400 calories today

Overall:

YAY

And my completed checklist:

So far so good. I always slack on weekends and we have 100 things to do tomorrow, so we will see how it goes!

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:08 am

Okay so today was a very bad day, but I did manage to still save some calories and do some exercise, so that's a positive!

Steps:

Walked around the flea market, went to pet smart, and went to an animal shelter, all steps added up!

Challenges:

No problems here

Six full songs danced to!

This also unlocked me another coaching session!

This one is about meal planning

I'm actually pretty good at this, I have a weekly menu and I plan groceries accordingly. I also cook much more often than we go out. So yay for this one! But I still agreed to some more challenges to improve

Exercise:

Well I did have my 6 songs to dance to

And all of the walking around

Food:

Did less exercise and ate more today, so that's bleh

But still saved some

And I reached another milestone!

Let's see if tomorrow goes better

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:12 am

Great job so far. :)

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:36 am

Thank you for the support. I hope it works!

June 14th

Steps:
5000 steps done

Challenges:

Okay, I'll be honest, I had a rough day yesterday and wasn't motivated to do this today at all. So I picked an easy one.

Exercise:

I played some Mario Tennis which is not as much exercise as real tennis so I used the most laid back exercise option for this

And I did exactly 20 minutes of dancing (I didn't go by amount of songs this time) and I did 10 minutes of jogging

Food:

About par for the course

So I'm a bit scared it's exaggerating my results and I won't have lost anything but I dunno. I mean all of that dancing and jogging has to amount to something, right? I guess we'll see when it asks me to weigh myself!

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:18 am

June 15th

Steps:

Mostly around the house and dancing because it was a hot one today.

Challenges:
Well I asked my boyfriend but then it was blisteringly hot. But I guess he was invited?

Easier, especially since it didn't need to be drunk outside

Exercise:

I didn't jog today so dancing. A LOT of dancing. I am very sore and tired fro the past few days of dancing

Food:

I ate much today

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:11 am

Oki doki, here is today's progress!

Steps:
5000 more!

Challenges:
Done and done

Yep yep. I know I choose it a lot but come on, it's effective. It's a good workout, it takes some time, and it counts towards my steps. Especially since I can't dance so I end up hopping around a lot

I forgot to do this one :(

Regardless of that, I did unlock a new Coaching Session!
ImageImage
So this one is meal time behavior. Do you take time to properly eat and digest, do you get a lot of takeout, etc. I got the middle option which means I'm doing alright but could do better! So I have accepted to receive new challenges based on what they know!

Exercise:
Park walk was about 10 minutes. I could have done longer but the heat is killing me slowly so I just did one tour

And my dancing which I FINALLY REMEMBERED TO TIME!!!!!

And a new milestone!

Food:
Pretty good day for food!

I think I'm going to have a rest day tomorrow. I have a bunch of stuff to do and I'm sore and just need a break. I'll try to just get a walk in instead of jogging and dancing

Also a part of me wants to get weight day to see if I've made progress but part of me is scared to see I haven't.

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Next